Milltek exhaust on V5?

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I have done a search but only found people who have a Milltek on a Toledo 20vt. Have any V5 owners done this, and if so do you know what performance gains you got and is it noticable? (Or are there any ex Golf or Bora V5 owners who did it?) I believe the Bora fitment would go straight on the Toledo?

Now then. I actually rather like the sound of my engine as it is. What might I expect from the Milltek? Given I am 40 years old and not into modifications to the outside of my car I don't want to draw too much attention to myself! Is a Milltek on a V5 going to wake my neighbours when I start her in the morning, if you know what I mean. Basically I'm wanting it for performance enhancement not 'listen to me' sound, although if it keeps the V5 lush roar with a small amount of amplification that's OK.

Edit: Oops just noticed this thread http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97711
Guess it's just cos I searched the term 'Milltek Toledo'. Anyhow, there's 2 of us looking for answers now so anyone out there?

Last edited:

Stubill

Swine Bird !
Aug 13, 2002
The New Forest
Visit site
Supersprint also do a system for the V5 Toledo - I think the volume may be an issue too though.

If I recall correctly the V5 exhaust system is common on Golf, Bora, Toledo. Just that the Bora & Toledo have an extending pipe included to give the length.

However, for 400 quid you could have a custom Stainless cat back system made for your V5, and spec. the volume to what you want. Just make sure you go to a reputible fiiters if you go down that route.

midcuk

never confused!
Jun 20, 2001
newcastle
Visit site
go for a powerflow mate i had reservations but they "created" me an exhaust exactly to my needs (i.e less restrictive and not noisy) 2 yers down the line and im still very inpressed no faults at all.

V5Ade

I love my LCR!
Aug 26, 2004
Guildford
I used to have a 20v V5 MkIV Golf that had a Milltek. It sounded really nice (not too loud) but even with an AMD remap it only made 190 bhp.

If you are going to get a Milltek, make sure it's the V5 version. One company that sells on here wanted to fit the 1.8t version to my V5. I was sceptical about this so I called Phill at Milltek, he told me that there is a separate V5 version (it's also used on the US spec VR6 MkIV) and the 1.8t version would be noisey and not produce the correct back pressure for the engine.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. Been away on me hols, hence my delayed reply.

I'm probably not going to tinker for now - bit too much money for such little gain and I'm still nervy that I would not like the end result. However, I'll keep in mind the custom/powerflow options if I have a change of heart. Think my next tinker is going to be an S3 upper strut brace, coming soon.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Mate,

There are no Milltek systems for any Toledo like ours but tghe front sections are shared between the platform cars as far as I know. My system is for a Bora as is Sauls. Mine has the hidden exit while Saul cut the bottom of his bumper to get the twin cromes out the back.

On my car, prior to the remap, the gain from the turbo back was 15bhp. There is one cat in the 20VT. Not sure about the V5.

I would be wary of Powerflow/custom exhausts. They are made to fit the car but are not deisgned for it. The noise at the start will change like any exhaust as time goes one, but I had a powerflow on my old Civic VTi. As it aged, the noise became a lot higher. Yes they are cheaper, but you run the risk of actually decreasing power output if the design/flow is altered.

I would have thought a Bora V5 tail piece exhaust would fit straight on to the Toledo V5. Beware of the exit though. The Bora can have a modified valence fitted to allow the straight out exit pipes where the Toledo will need bodywork mods to have the same one. A discreet exit will be more "boomy" but should fit in with no probs over the axle and out under the bumper.

Cheers for your informed input - that was useful to know. I gather gains are likely to be much better on turbo's than the V5 - another reason for my hesitation. You made some useful observations though.

Gray

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Yeah, I had checked on there and it was a link I put up in my post 2 that put me off a little bit. I hadn't come across the link you posted though. It's a shame the video links in that thread weren't working as I really wanted to hear the sound. I agree with you - I love the V5 sound and it's partly that that I wouldn't want ruined. A bit amplified yes, but not having heard a V5 with a Milltek it makes me nervous.

I was under the impression that the V5 might only gain about 5% as compared to 15% on a 20VT. At the end of the day I'm not trying to change the car into something it isn't although getting it up to 180 might be nice. The V5 has the characteristics I like - it gives a superbly relaxed and refined drive with just the right feel and torque for me. It's not really a throw it around type of car, although some handling enhancements wouldn't go amiss (hence me looking into strut brace mod).

If anyone knows of a working video link with the sound of a V5 engine (Golf/Bora/Toledo) with Milltek or other aftermarket exhaust please post up!

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I've literally just got online and had a listen and I must say it sounded very, very, VERY tasty. I would have liked to hear it at standstill for longer. The low rumble at idle sounded very nice indeed...that has certainly put me back towards the 'definately/maybe' camp. Damn, I'd virtually decided not to do it. Relieved it didn't sound chavish or ruin the engine note.

I want more of that low burbling rumble...

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I am sure that could be arranged if he is asked nicely!

The 5 cylinder note is awesome when unleashed like that!

Edit: Made the request for you mate!!

Much appreciated - and thanks for getting the request up in the first place. Top man. :cheers:

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Superb. I just went back to have another listen and the guy has posted up another clip of the car at idle. Even better that he did it from cold. I've just signed up to thank him personally. (Edit: except I'm still waiting to be issued a password!).

Last edited:

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Saw you got your password then! Remember you could get a concealed exit like mine to save the bumper, but the noise will probably be somewhat different.

If you can see the back of Sauls car, thats what yours would look like with the twin chrome exit.

And I think it's the concealed exit that gave some people the 'boominess' on the V5 - which is what I don't want to risk. I have seen pics of the back of Saul's car (looks OK on his - in fact always admired the look of his car) but I'm a bit uncertain because my car does not have any other exterior modifications and I wanted to keep it as discrete as pos. Decsions, decisions!

Last edited:

somouk

I love those clips on UK-MKIVS. I saw the original and when I bought a V5 went lookin for them again, glad they been reposted!

Ive just emailed AMD to see how much a discreet system would be fitted. I would love the car with some tailpipes showing but really dont fancy hacking the rear valance away!!

Mart

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Ive just emailed AMD to see how much a discreet system would be fitted. I would love the car with some tailpipes showing but really dont fancy hacking the rear valance away!!

I know what you mean. It's hard to get a really neat job unless you trim the hacked out area with stainless steel or something similar. Trouble is that draws attention to the mod and that is not what I personally want. I would be interested to hear what price you get from AmD - and even more interested to learn if you go ahead! Have you had a remap done by them? If you're considering one I'm sure would probably get a better price as an all-in package.

somouk

I am considering a remap but not yet as an exhaust and remap is going to set me back ~£700!

I'll let you know what is said by AmD.

Mart

somouk

What other mods could I do on the engine of a 2.3?

Are cams available? Would I gain from an induction kit as opposed to just a panel filter?

Mart

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.