Mirrors gone pooey

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
Used the fold in mirrors for the first time since I got the car 3 weeks ago, didn't want to go first, then finally did. However, when I came to fold them back out they didn't respond, no whirring, nothing, I pulled them slightly to make sure they had locked all the closed, and they had, but still no response.

So I've pulled them out manually, and had to adjust the mirrors then, and noticed when I do the drivers side it does the passenger side too, but the passenger side alone does the passenger side.

I was going to take apart but haven't got time until probably Saturday afternoon, does anyone know where to start? No point taking apart if pointless, could it be the door switch?

Any pointers much appreciated.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
krisby wrote

Used the fold in mirrors for the first time since I got the car 3 weeks ago, didn't want to go first, then finally did. However, when I came to fold them back out they didn't respond, no whirring, nothing, I pulled them slightly to make sure they had locked all the closed, and they had, but still no response.

Try cleaning the switch in the door first, and checking the wiring there.

So I've pulled them out manually, and had to adjust the mirrors then, and noticed when I do the drivers side it does the passenger side too, but the passenger side alone does the passenger side.

This is normal behaviour,supposed to make it easier to swap between drivers

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
krisby wrote

Try cleaning the switch in the door first, and checking the wiring there.

This is normal behaviour,supposed to make it easier to swap between drivers

I've not noticed it before on my last 2 Toledos, I might check the wifes one tonight as I didn't think hers did it, unless its a quirky feature added to the top spec V5? but then the Mrs is an SE.

But yeah, I might take the switch out and give it a WD40.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The mirror adjustment is part of the convenience module programming and can almost certainly be changed using VAG-com. It may be an option, depending on what market the car was built for.

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
Of course, that would make sense. One owner for 8 years probably had that programmed in, electric seats and quick change of mirror to allow for fore or aft movement for Mr and Mrs.

Maybe I'll chuck it on VAG-COM and have a look myself then.

Thanks

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
bad to normal now! some pillock on a push bike hit my mirror in traffic this morning, so my passenger side was out, I tried adjusting to suit the new angle that was slightly out, but slightly too far push round, I then accidentally turned the knob to fold them in, and the both went in, made a massive click when they'd finished, then I unfolded again and back to normal and all working perfectly.

Daft, they are mechanical, so I would expect them to work or not, but maybe one of the gears was out of kilter and now back on track.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.