Misfire

Neil T

Aug 5, 2020
Hey all I have a 63 plate 1.4 tsi 140bhp leon FR
This morning it started to misfire took it a local garage and was Showing cylinder 4 misfire changed the coil pack and still misfiring and then came up with low fuel pressure. So was thinking it mite be the injector. But when I was on the phone getting a price for it they said that they have heard in the past that this is common with them and can cause the piston damage. Has anyone else heard of this or experienced it before.
I have only had the car about 7 months and worried it's going to cost me a small fortune to repair.
Thank you in advance for your help and comments
Neil

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
The garage are probably thinking of the older VW 1.4 which did have a bad reputation but is different to the engine in your car.
If coil pack/ plugs don't fix it then they could do a compression test to rule in/ out a piston or valve issue. It should be quick and easy for them to do before suggesting it as a problem but fuel pressure doesn't suggest that.

Reactions: Neil T

Neil T

Aug 5, 2020
So from speaking to garage the put a new coil pack on cylinder 4 it was still the same with fault code so swapped to cylinder 1 it was same but with the low fuel pressure fault code. And when I was driving there you could smell fuel from the exhaust.
I have arranged for it to go back to the garage I got it from next Saturday

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Has it ever had a new fuel filter?

I cured a strange engine cutting out issue in the past with a new fuel filter. The logged fault codes were nothing to do with a fuel filter.

It's cheap and simple to fit to knock it of a list of possible causes of missfire.

Neil T

Aug 5, 2020
Hey thank you as far as I'm aware no it's hasn't had a fuel filter will keep it in mind.
I have local garage coming to recover it Thursday and having a look at it before it gose back to the garage I got it from. It has 12 months warranty but none of my local ones will deal with the warranty company.

May 19, 2020
hi having this problem with same 1.4 tsi 63 plate, have also changed coil pack and new spark plugs. Still coming up with the misfire codes. had a compression test it showed that cylinder one is slightly lower then the other 4, then had a leak test is showed there's a small leak past the pistons and into the oil slump. meaning a warn engine, this could so be a fault with yours as its common on the 1.4 tsi, best to look into it if you can.
they said the misfire could be a fuelling problem they suggested to change the fuel injector for the cylinder that misfiring, if the problem is still occurring then changing the fuel pump is a good idea.
with you're misfire are you losing any power when in the higher revs range? also can you hear the engine spluttering almost?

Neil T

Aug 5, 2020
Hey @Brandon Haygreen thank you. Yes losing all power at all revs as it just misfires and spluttering and struggles to start. And can smell the fuel for the exhaust. How's your car been since?

May 19, 2020
that's annoying its it basically undriveable? its fine to drive but when hitting the 4000 revs is starts to splutter and the idle doesn't sound great at some points

Neil T

Aug 5, 2020
Yes it's undriveable at the moment. Ok what your plans for the car now are you looking to sell?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
What are the actual compression and leak down test numbers measured?
Also what are the actual fault codes?
As mentioned by moriarty it was was the previous generation 1.4TSI which had more common piston failures.

If you have a low fuel pressure fault code - and the original fuel filter for 8 years the first thing I would do is fit a new fuel filter, this is easy and cheap, before you think about fuel pumps/injectors/pistons!

Reactions: Neil T and Walone

Neil T

Aug 5, 2020
So the garage got back to me and it's an injector over fueling and apparently the compression on all cylinders are good so they said they are having to do an injector test on them all so hopefully it just the one

Reactions: SuperV8

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
That sounds correct, seems to an issue across the VAG range. If it’s being doing it for a while get the oil and filter changed as the oil my be contaminated. Saves you from more issues in the future.

Neil T

Aug 5, 2020
I was thinking about doing that as well but will have to wait till I get paid again

Neil T

Aug 5, 2020
Just to update I got the car back the other day after injector 4 being replaced.
All seem good so far. They same they done a compression test and all was good

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise