Mk1 Cupra R vs MK2 Cupra

JamJay

California Bound
Hi all, I'll be honest with you, I know little about the MK2, the next generation engine (2.0T) or chassis so I hope you can help.

I've been thinking long and hard about my next car or whether to keep my LCR and tune it hard but I haven't reached a decision, well not until now as the MK2 strangely evaded me, I never considered it before but seems a sensible option. The chop won't be made until early next year after 2yrs of LCR ownership, the car will be touching no more that 40k then so it'll retain some value and i'll get a few months enjoyment out of it's respray (paint defect correction so it's unavoidable).
I would prefer an 07 or 08 Cupra, the facelift is IMO absolutely horrid to look and and I hate the K1 bodykit with a passion (sorry owners), especially the rear, it offends me :D.

How does the MK2 compare against the old LCR, are there any improvements or weaknesses (apart from the interior) over the 1M? Are the engine & gearbox stronger or weaker, is the handling improved (or is it still rear beam?) and how do you all feel about this mimic of a LSD that's controlled by the ecu?

What's it's tuning potential? I am lead to believe that a Stage 1 can reach 300bhp although I am more concerened about the torque to be honest which isn't well documented and there seems to be far too much emphasis on high BHP...number chasers tut tut :p. How easy is it to go further, i.e. what will stage 2 get me and what needs uprgrading? Do the 2.0's suffer from TIP collapse at high boost?

My LCR (on a good cold day) is kicking out between 250 - 260bhp with 299lb/ft, it's a hard act to follow so a MK2 would definitely have to be remapped to excite me. I trust my 007dv will be the only part that will swap over?

Any info you can throw at me will be much appreciated :)

Last edited:

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
You are looking down the face of 360+bhp and 360+lbft with the bolt-ons and stage 2+.
It really is in a different league to the MKI Leon.[B)]

JamJay

California Bound
Whoops, I missed that post! Thanks, that's answered all of my questions almost, I guess now it's going to be test drive time although I already know my LCR is quicker that a standard Cupra, I can get a feel for the handling.

It amazes me how much potential this 2.0 unit seems to have, I thought the 1.8 was endless enough :).

Hurdy, what mods do you have for those figures?

JamJay

California Bound
From what I understand, the benefit of buying a new Cupra R is only a upgraded fuel pump and FMIC like that of the S3? So for alot cheaper I could build a Cupra to the same spec + Stage 2 goodies and have a mental machine? I am guessing with the same Stage 2 mods, the new Cupra R would push the same figures?

No 007? What is the world coming to, that valve fits everything :D. What goes in it's place then?

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
From what I understand, the benefit of buying a new Cupra R is only a upgraded fuel pump and FMIC like that of the S3? So for alot cheaper I could build a Cupra to the same spec + Stage 2 goodies and have a mental machine? I am guessing with the same Stage 2 mods, the new Cupra R would push the same figures?

No 007? What is the world coming to, that valve fits everything :D. What goes in it's place then?

Yes don't think you can see more than 360hp from the KO4 and std internals so best go buy an 07 cupra and stag2+ it! Mental power for the outlay:p

OEM bosch revision "D" (piston not diaphragm) dv is perfectly capable and it's also located away from the turbo and hence heat doesn't affect it. Forge do do one tho.

JamJay

California Bound
Oooo lovely, but very dangerous. I'd probably factor in the price of a remap & intake to the initial cost of the car so that'd just leave fuel pump, intercooler (I'm not sure if MK2 has FMIC already?) & exhaust and i'd be there quite quickly, then knowing me, i'd be doing the internals. Money & pit come to mind...

Thanks for the DV infor, I didn't know that at all. I assume 50/50 valves are still a bit of a hit and miss thing with the ECU?

Poverty

jump on the m25 one saturday night and either me or o ne of the several other quick leon lads will take you out in ours ;)

JamJay

California Bound
Sorry Lee haha, if your XBOX gamertag was the rear of a K1, we could no longer be friends :D. Just kidding, the rest of the kit is ok, just not sold on the centre exhaust and bumper.

Poverty, do you want me to do circuits of the M25 until I find you :p. Thanks for the offer, will you be at the next London meet?

Poverty

Sorry Lee haha, if your XBOX gamertag was the rear of a K1, we could no longer be friends :D. Just kidding, the rest of the kit is ok, just not sold on the centre exhaust and bumper.

Poverty, do you want me to do circuits of the M25 until I find you :p. Thanks for the offer, will you be at the next London meet?

woops left out the bit about driving to dartford.

Yeah me and h8t wp are planning on going. Its just that I always forget when it is, so just throw me a reminder a day or two before hand and the two of us will come down.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members