Mk1 Leon se tdi issues, cold start and window reg, not the usual

G2T

Mar 28, 2007
West Wales
Hey Guys,

Not been around on here for a good while, but am in need of some help with a Leon tdi 110 I`ve picked up from a family member.

I`ll try not to ramble too much, it started with a cold starting issue and a flashing coolant light, so it went into a local garage, said it was sorted, no joy, then another garage, they said it was sorted, still no joy. Between them, they`d fitted glow plugs, a glow plug relay, a new battery, a new temp sensor and a new fuel filter, along with damaging the oil feed pipe to the turbo and charging him to replace it. By now it was running a bag of poop and one day I got a call saying they`d only just made it to Tesco and could I have a look, so I grabbed the laptop and vagcom and scanned it, it threw up a few codes inc. needle lift sensor, along with some intermittent ones. I cleared them, it started, scanned it again, nothing, so they went home.

By this time all love for the car was gone and it was replaced.

I`ve taken it on and started working through things.

The needle lift issue, was just the plug not fully plugged in, assume a little present from one of the garages.

The flashing coolant light was the prongs in the header tank gummed up, I had one off a cupra so I just swapped it, seems to have done the trick.

Now I have no codes, I`ve driven it up the lane, and its driving well, with no codes returning.

But despite all the usual parts relating to a cold start issue being changed, it still doesn`t like to start from cold, once run for a short while it`ll re start instantly.

I`ve checked that there is power to the glow plugs, I did this with a bulb tester, so I don`t know the exact voltage at the glow plugs, but from stone cold today, the relay lit the plugs for a good 20 seconds.

I removed each glow plug and tested them with 12v, three lit up from the end/tip, and then prob 10-15mm down the probe bit. The 4th lit up from the tip and the right down the probe....

So, 50a fuse on top of the battery is good, replaced glow plug relay is working, glow plugs are I think ok.

I then unplugged the coolant sensor, this makes the ecu fire the plug relay for about 30 seconds, so I started it from stone cold, and it fired up pretty well.

At this point I`m now not sure if I simply need a new temp sensor, or the fact that with it unplugged, the glow plugs get lit for so much longer and that helped it start ok.......

Tomorrow I`m going to start it from stone cold with the sensor plugged back in.....

If anyone can shed any light on this I`d be really grateful.

So onto the window reg, the osf reg had failed previously, so another family member had got a kit for it and fitted it, but they`d ran out of light and just bunged the door card back on. So I got the doorcard off and it seemed that theyd got the reg working, but simply hadn't attached the glass to the reg. Great, this one was looking easy....
Wrong!! I bolted the glass in, but the window was very slow going up and down, straining the motor, and at times going back down like it had hit fingers trapped in the window....

The inner door seal on top of the doorcard was a bit mis shaped where the glass had been wedged, so the car that gave up the header tank donated a tidy one, no difference, tried it without that trim too, no difference, tried another motor, no difference. With the glass out of the way the reg moves nice and freely and sounds ok. I`m going to get some silicon spray tomorrow, but I don`t think that's the root cause, even if it helps a bit....

The glass doesn`t seem notchy or overly stiff when run by hand, and I`m now a bit stuck.

I`ll try a fresh tomorrow, but if anyone has any suggestions I`d really appreciate it!!

Cheers

G2T

Mar 28, 2007
West Wales
This was a while ago. But just in case anyone comes across this and has a similar issue I'll update, at the time I didn't have the tdi timing checker working on my vcds, got it working and found the timing to be quite a way out. 20 mins with a 13mm spanner and vcds and it was sorted. Fires up and behaves as it should.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise