Mk1 Polo Project

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I had a MK3 Polo GT last winter, and I found the GT lump very nippy, especially for a 1.3. I even had a guy in a 205 GTI stop me and ask what I'd done to it - it was standard! :D

Are you joining any of the Polo sites? I moderate www.uk-polos.net when I'm not on here.

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
Right, well I've pretty much guaranteed me a GT engine and all the parts for the conversion :D Last week has been mostly spent getting loads of free advice about the job, the 'scene' (don't like to use that word) is awesome, great how many people are genuinely interested to help out.

Hopefully this weekend I can get her propped up and start cleaning and rust-treating the underside, then onto the welding!. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we can take the engine out when my mate's crane is available.

Only a small update. Interior is goin to be a little different than the norm ;) Lots of 'customisation' still to be done though. And no, it won't be stripped out, bit more towards the other end of the scale [B)]

DSC00002.jpg

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Looking good! Do I spy G40 brakes? They look vented to me!

Did you get the bits from Pettsy?

Last edited:

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
Looking good! Do I spy G40 brakes? They look vented to me!

Did you get the bits from Pettsy?

I think they're golf GTI calipers, something like that (can't remember what prev owner told me), but yeah, grooved/vented black diamond discs.

Yeah i'm sorted with Pettsy, GT here I come! :D

You've got to keep that wooden dash!!

Dude, that aint wood, not even close, it's a horrible plastic type thing. The dash is staying but the 'wood' isnt!

Keep the pics etc coming. Makes me want a project even more seing this....... makes me want that garage aswell :cry:

Until recently I never thought I'd be able to have a project, change in circumstance has enabled me to and I'm proper loving it! LOL the garage looks good but the car & bits must be kept covered, it leaks pretty bad!

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
wicked looking project mate! keep the pics coming! id love to start a project when i get my own gaff a mk2 golf or a polo or somthing like that. im so jelous!

shefflad

Opelness
Oct 16, 2006
Manchester
have the clocks been changed from the originals, they look more modern than like those on mk2 golfs and mk3 polo's where they use little led's lit up for things..

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
Nope pretty sure they haven't. The cluster surround is unique to mk1 polos and everything looks like it says it should in the Haynes (absolute god-send that book!)

I can be 100% later on it as I'm going to take the surround apart for a minor repair and plan some updating to it!

Hopefully the engine will be coming out this weekend :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.