mk2 engine troubles

skwaggles

vtr btr :)
Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
hey all. am wondering if anyone can help me?? have been chasing gremlins round my mk2 since i bought it. its always idled really lumpy and constantly cuts when cold. i also suspect it overfuelling and it failed an emissions test. i've had it on the diagnostics and it came up with an error on the lambda sensor. i then bought and fitted a new lambda but still same problems. i've just been looking through other threads at pics of engine bays and after looking at mine, have noticed that my ht leads are folded over about 3 times as they are far too long and i haven't seen this on anyone elses. it almost looks like someone has bought a set of 16v leads in error. might sound a stupid question, but does anyone know if this could be causing all the problems?

skwaggles

Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
heres a pic of the engine bay. hopefully you'll see what i mean.
DSC00103.jpg

Last edited:

skwaggles

Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
not really. its difficult to describe. when i first start the car i have to sit with my foot on the pedal to keep a solid idle until its warmed up otherwise it dies. when i rev it up its real lumpy. at low revs driving (up to 2.5k) is really hesitant and fuzzy, once its picks itself up it flies off likenothing else. its just low revs and idle. and its smoky throughout the entire rev range.

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
Sounds electrical, i'd give the battery a good charge and check the coil in the dark for cracks.

First thing to replace would be those leads though if nothing else becomes apparent

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
The famous and common ignition coil? Glad I now have DTA management and it's bloody gone! Went through 4 in 5 years!

Won't cause the fueling problems but the lumpy idle and cut out could be due to it.

Last edited:

skwaggles

Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
thanks everyone for the advice. am going to get a new set of leads for defo as can't be good having the wrong leads on even if that isn't the cause. will check the coil as seems to be a common thing. i did notice one of the hoses on the cam cover going to what i think is the charcoal canister??? is perishing, it doesn't look like its completely split yet but don't look far off it.

skwaggles

Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
thought i'd put a brief update on here. had a look at the camcover hoses yesterday and this was the sight that i encountered
DSC00104.jpg
DSC00107.jpg
DSC00105.jpg
. i gave these a damn good clean out and put back them together. seems to idle a bit better now and doesn't die when cold now either but still running very lumpy. have taken some pics of the coil so if anyone can see an obvious fault please let me know
DSC00108.jpg
DSC00110.jpg
. failing that am going to invest in a new set of leads still and some new plugs.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
The gunk in the pipes could just be with the cold weather/condensation. Especially if you only do lots of short journeys.

I would change the coil personally. There could be something in the inside of it or a small crack or anything that you cant see.

skwaggles

Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
have changed the ht leads, plugs and ignition coil today. still got the lumpy running though. what i did realise is that the car wont rev over 5000 rpm. that when the rev limter kicks in. have heard a few people say about having to adjust the ignition timing?? i checked the timing marks and they seem to line up on tdc. had a read in the haynes manual and that says that ignition timing is all controlled by the ecu and no manual adjustment is possible. apparently the only way of sorting it is to take it to seat. any help anyone?????

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
ive had a similar problem with my car, check the conectors on the HT leads because mine were the rong ones and changing them to the right ones made my car 1,000,000,000% better :)

skwaggles

Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
had new ht leads last weekut still runs lumpy. like i say i think it might be the ignition timing but i don't know. anyone else been in the same boat? fuel consumption is ridiculous and is smoking like a :censored:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.