mk2 engine troubles

skwaggles

vtr btr :)
Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
dizzy cap and rotor arm were replaced along with with the dizzy. took the throttle body off today to give it a proper clean and also cleaned the inlet manifold.finally got a good healthy idle and ticks over nicely even when cold. :D still running lumpy though and still hits the rev limit at 5000 rpm.

skwaggles

Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
yeah was having a look through. when the new dizzy was fitted, the timing marks were all lined up properly so can only assume that leaves the ecu part of it. its averaging 4.3 mpg :help: and smokes badly due to the rich mixture

vngtx

could just be 1 tooth out or wrong belt, or somebody has had the cam pulley off and put it on backwards?

skwaggles

Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
i don't know to be honest. got my mate doing it for me so he should be able to tell. cambelt on at the mo is :censored: though. is wafer thin. i'd say it ain't been changed since the factory

vngtx

probably stretched too. ill get mine done and see if it works. might get 115hp again :D or maybe more!

skwaggles

Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
:D:D:D so finally after trying to sort the running out for seemingly forever. it is now running perfectly. the timing was out by a mile. the marks all lined up but the engine was nowhere near tdc. we got it on tdc and the cam sprocket was actually out by about 7+ teeth and the crank sprocket was nearly 180 degrees out. got those back in alignment and then re-aligned the dizzy and is running like a new car.

vngtx

:clap: :clap: :clap: its good when im finally right :D

Last edited by a moderator:

skwaggles

Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
:D its also good that its finally done.nice smmoth revving all the way up to 6k rpm. no lumpyness, no bad smoke, just smooth and powerful. mwa ha ha :lol:
you done your belt yet vince? would defo recommend a full timing check

vngtx

i got new dizzy, airbox, intake air temp sensor, charcoal filter, n80 valve and ambient temp sensor for 20 quid :D got timing belt ready, ill be changing dizzy and belt together.

vngtx

done timing belt, bit of a pain to find timing marks but still only took an hour. :D still stuck at 5k :think:

skwaggles

Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
defo line up on tdc?? mine were out by a long way. had to get it to tdc then adjust it. hmmmm. might be the crank position sensor for you after all then mate?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.