Mk2 Ibiza 16V Hillclimb/Sprint car - 2014 Race Season begins!

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Next interesting finding - turns out that in the 1980s, VW golf engines were the thing to have in many hotrod oval-type racers, and cars called Grand Prix Midgets. This is a pertinent link:

http://www.ovaltrack.co.uk/gpmidgets/tome/1980s/1989/10_sep_89.htm

Cars in saloon-look classes were often space-frame specials with fibreglass bodies. Regs were very free and allowed any engines to be used, even from different manufacturers. So things like this Fiat Uno were built which had VW golf engines fitted.

baarlo-1997.jpg

Class breaks varied from 1300-1600cc, but for the lower capacities, the order of the day was destroked motors - short throw cranks that revved to the moon.

Sounds like the kind of engine spec that might be good for a 1400 turbo......:whistle:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
A very interesting chat with my engine man yesterday. Turns out there are quite a few front runners in this years euro rallycross who will be taking a slightly ifferent approach to previous years, running lighter cars with smaller engines in supercar class. The thinking being that they will be kinder to the very soft tyres that are used. Anyhow, there are some s2000 spec cars (as a base) being equipped with transverse 1760 and smaller turbos. These cars have much more restrictive packaging than the normal 2L turbo longitudinal installs and this has necessitated the development of a load of tasty transverse turbo kit.

I'm liking the sound of this. Small capacity turbo is the wy forwards......

http://erc24.com/archives/3488

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Ok, so had the first race of 2014 last Saturday at Aintree, hosted as usual by Liverpool Motor Club. Due to various work and family reasons we did not compete last year, but took the opportunity to make some modifications to the car including fuel, suspension, and brake systems. Did some winter testing, unfortunately in the wet, to check things out but to date had not managed to have a good run in the dry weather. The weather forecast was decidedly iffy with lots of rain the night before and in the early morning, with an indication of it drying up, and then rain again after lunch. Decided to fit the slicks and set up for dry conditions before setting off as it was likely that at some time of the day it would be dry and this is where the fast time would come from.

Very good entry as always for these Aintree events with 12 in Class 3B, a whole page of Caterham Academy, and several 'big guns' from the British Sprint scene.

Your never quite sure where the competition is going to come from with so many unknown cars but last years Div 1 Overall Champ Andy Larton (Pug 106) was always going to be quick, along with the highly experienced John Moxham (Pug 205), and a very interesting Nissan Primera that I had not seen before.

Times are 64ft, finish, and mph over finish line. They can also be seen here:

http://www.liverpoolmotorclub.com/2...-for-the-aintree-spring-sprint-are-available/

So it was proper wet for Practice 1 and most people just trundled round - 3.05/57.94(115)
P2 saw it starting to dry as the sun came out - 2.76/52.66(118)

T1. Track now fully dry so game on - 2.71/51.82(118). Second to Pug 106 51.07
T2. 2.71/51.53(118). Pug went slower, 51.13
T3. 2.72/51.17(119). Second to Pug 106 51.05
T4. 2.63/50.75(118). Took the lead on the last run only for Pug to do 50.47.

Then the rain came down, just in time [phew]. Spots on my window as I was going back to the pits.

So my previous PB was 2.53/51.03, so I was one tenth slower to 64ft, but knocked a third of a second off my PB - WELL CHUFFED!

Andy's time of 50.47 is proper quick so fair do's, and his 64ft times are 2.4's showing how lightweight that car is, but its just about palatable to come second when you do a PB time and get beat by previous years Champ.

Next time.....;)

Never changed the car at all during the day, left it on 'dry' settings and just drove it. It felt really driveable and the changes have certainly been a step forwards. There is easily another half second to be had, and I know where now as I recorded each run on my new GoPro toy (videos to come soon.....).

Third in class was Colin Metcalfe in his Primera (52.27), and fourth was John Moxham in his 205 (52.47).

Its interesting to look at the times from the other classes since the 1400-2000 road modified class had quite an event with the class record been broken several times by Fred Currell (Mk2 Golf GTI 16V) and Ian Butcher (Renault 5 GT Turbo). These cars are actually highly modified, with probably more power than the modprod cars, but have some interior and run shaved road tyres. Fred and Ian are very experienced competitors and ultimately Fred took it with a 51.86.

A cracking day out.

Cheers

Rob

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Ok so front splitter got a bit of a beating at Aintree - not too bad but enough for it to need a slight modification. Passenger side had just been touching the track, on the fast and bumpy Becher's bend, and dome head bolts had been ground nearly off (leaving well cool vaporised metal trails....):

splitterwear_zpsb11b8b3c.jpg

so decided to replace a lot of the bolts with bonded-in fasteners, and then cover the whole lot with abrasion-resistant kevlar. Looked about where to get kevlar from and found a great place in Stoke called EasyComposites. Very helpful, well into motorsport, and they suggested 2 layers of 175g kevlar stuck on with epoxy. Have tried to cut kevlar in the past and it is VERY hard to cut, so bit the bullet and bought some special kevlar scissors.

So glued the bigheads in:

splitter2_zps57b20ae6.jpg

bigheads_zps85b77b6d.jpg

Cut two layers of kevlar with my new kevlar shears (this would be absolutely impossible to do without them as the cloth would go out of shape if you put much force on it)

kevlar_zps8349a111.jpg

Then, glue and stippling later, we have a kevlar laminated splitter that should last a bit longer. Next event will test it out....

done_zps3438d062.jpg

Cheers

Rob

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Good times at Aintree Rob, new splitter is going to look special.

No chance of some metal strips underneath to properly get sparks flying?

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Righto - excellent weekend last weekend at Anglesey for a round of the British Sprint Championships and Midland Speed Champs. Organised by Cheshire Motor Club, the Sat/Sun event looked to be very wet on the Sat, and then drying on the Sunday. Got there Fri lunchtime and had a few laps Fri afternoon as part of one of the track evenings. Good to get the eye in! Unfortunately the weather looked to be changing overnight to big rain the following morning so how much use this was is anyones guess.

Sat had Anglesey regular Phil Caza on the entry list, with a very nicely prepped Fiesta Cup car with Mountune engine, John Moxham in his LAD 205GTI, and the double driven Rover 200 of Colin Price/Karl Harrison. For whatever reason, the Fiesta did not turn up.

Set the car up on wet tyres and wet suspension settings. Day 1 was one lap of the full International Circuit, previous pb from 2010 of 102.46 in dry, and 116.27 in wet.

P1 - 112.99 - felt ok but slippery as F. Track drying a little now
P2 - 113.63 - even more slippery. Rain started to absolutely lash down and continued for 2hrs or so
T1 - 112.70 - good run in the VERY wet conditions
LUNCH, still a bit wet but starting to dry again
T2 - 110.35 - track drying fast and folks moving over to slicks - unsure what to do decide to leave car on wet suspension settings and put slicks on front, wets on back
T3 - 103.23 - car felt horrible

So how did the others do? Well in the wet I was almost 5 seconds clear of the next car, but just to show you never know whats going to happen in this game, on the final run the 205 went 19 seconds faster on some nice Avon intermediate tyres to end up only 2 tenths behind. Lucky win.......and great final run from John.

Always interesting to compare to the Road Mod 2L cars, especially those from Midland Speed which are very well driven and developed, Fred Currell's Mk2 Golf was 103.66 to win the class.

Onto Day 2 - 2 laps of the National Circuit - same entry list. Fully dry and quite warm. Previous best times 61.48 for split 1, 125.98 for end (2010). Walked the circuit in the morning with Colin Calder, Heather Calder and Jim Belt to get some ideas of lines.

P1 - 63.58 / 129.60 - totally messed up the first bend, wrong line and gear - relax!
P2 - 60.91 / 124.74 - thats more like it! PB times.
T1 - 61.18 / 125.11 - ok
LUNCH - tyre temp dropped off quite a bit
T2 - 61.60 / 125.68 - slower, noticeably less tyre grip but all set now for last run
T3 - 60.42 / 124.05 - corker, and new PB

So I ended up with Win No.2 and almost 3 seconds ahead of the 205, which also had set numerous PBs during the day, so really pleased.

Fred Currell unfortunately blew his Golf up big style but was around the 126.5 mark in P2.

Excellent weekend. Really like Anglesey.

Have everything on GoPro so will work out the best way to get this up. Shout if you have worked this out.

Tyres now look a bit battered but keeping the same size all round can swap them Front/back. Performance Road Stoptec front pads need replacing with something with a bit more bite - pedal is a bit dead on first application - so looking for some replacement there. Fitted std road pads in the rear to try and stop lockup and they have worked to some extent, and have not fallen to pieces yet so thats good - a bit less line pressure with a better biting front pad will sort that issue now hopefully. Front splitter survived again although the kevlar has worn through on inside front corner with battering the curbs at Anglesey - so that needs a patch up.

Also, bought a (cheap) new helmet a couple years ago when the MSA regs changed, from Hedtec, never really got on with it and had problems with glasses steaming up at Anglesey, so have bit the bullet and bought a Simpson Carbon Devil Ray :) wanted one for ages.....with Hans posts as it wont be long till these are compulsory IMO

devil%20ray%20carbon.jpg

Till next time

Ave it

Rob

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Ok - so yesterday we were at Aintree for Liverpool Motor Club's second sprint there for 2014. Weather looked a bit iffy all week but as time got nearer, the forecast became more promising, and by Fri it looked like there was a chance of some fine drizzle first thing till 9am or so, and then dry for the rest of the day. Checked again Sat morning before setting off, and yes, still ok. So for some reason I decided not to put my wets on the trailer, dont know why, have not done that ever before, but figured it was going to be dry so I didn't need them. Set off and when getting nearer to Liverpool on the M57, the heavens opened. Proper monsoon rain. Bugger. Still - the BBC are usually about right arn't they....it will dry up. Closer to Liverpool, still very wet, and when pulled into circuit, it was p*ssing it down. Bugger. Sat in car feeling a bit stupid really....why didn't I bring my wets....Oh well, better get on with it. Got the car off the trailer, fitted front splitter etc, and was absolutely soaked. Checked the weather again and suddenly all change, rain till at least 11am, and black clouds for the rest of the day. WTF????? And no wet tyres. Bottom. Missus had gone to her nan's for the day as well so no chance of her bringing them over.

Very good class turnout in 3B, with 9 cars registered, including 2013 Overall Champ Andy Larton with his immaculate Pug 106, John Moxham with his LAD Pug 205, a tasty looking Nissan Primera from the British Sprint Champs driven by Colin Metcalfe, and the Clio Cup car of Phil Caza.

Into P1, heavy rain, soaked track, slicks.....just managed to keep it on the track, wheelspin everywhere and aquaplaning on the puddles. Something like 62 seconds (given my PB in the dry is 50-point-something). Bottom. Going to be last at this rate.

Mate Kev arrives with his lad. Hows it going? Really crap Kev, have been a n*b and left my wet tyres at home. No bother says Kev, I'll go get them......good lad. 2hrs round trip. Off he goes.

Into P2, still raining but a touch drier than P1. Just ran round, sliding all over the shop. 59.7 seconds. Amazingly this left me in P2, behind the 106 who had his wet tyres and was down at 53 seconds (about right for the wet).

So the marshalls were fed up as they were all cold and wet, so an early lunch was called. Great....might actually get wet tyres on before first timed run. Kev arrives with about 5 mins of lunch break left, we swap the tyres but dont get time to set the pressures and go to wet suspension settings before we are called for T1, but the wets are on. Just about get to the line as the Class are still forming up. Phew. Pop a 55 sec in which leaves me in P3 behind 106 and Nissan

Back to pits, set tyre pressures, set suspension, breathe. Still wet, but rain stopped. Into T2, manage a 54.07, braking way too soon for bends. Still in P3.

Rain stopped now and dry patches starting to form. In P4, two runs left, **** or bust time. Slicks back on, dry suspension settings. Into T3. Off line, good, first bend, nice, plenty grip, waarp, warrp, second bend, attack time, turn in, back end snaps round and two nice pirouettes straignt down the centre of the track. Bottom. Clearly still not dry enough for slicks, but front felt ok actually. 205 move into lead with nice intermediate tyres fitted, 106 second, Nissan third (who also spun), me now fourth.

One run left. Front felt fine so wets back on the rear only. Time to put one in. T4. Nice getaway, much better, rear biting on turn-in. Braked as late as I dear for Beechers, push, push, push, 51.6. Cummon.

This left me second behind 106, and just pipped 205 by a couple tenths on last run.

Phew. Disaster averted. And big lesson learnt. Dont believe the BBC Weather service, and always carry wet weather tyres in the UK......And big thanks to Kev.

For interest, 1B cars on road tyres were in the 54sec bracket today where their record is 51.86 - shows how slippery it was.

Ave IT

Rob

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Car will be for sale after the final events of the year - two PBs already this year and more to come - car is going better than ever. So if you want to get into competition, and get to the front, get yourself one of the fastest and most sorted VAG sprint cars in the UK!

I'll be sad to see it go, but there we are, dont have the space to keep two cars and got something coming thats VERY exciting to go in its place (to be revealed.....)

Last edited:

GTi T

May 8, 2005
North West
Great news Rob, onwards and upwards

It must be something special to replace the Ibiza

Will have a look at the sale thread

Interested to see its replacement

Tom

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Ok, so just bought this :funk:[B)]:

svp_porsche_radical_sr8_for_sale_hillclimb_11_zps3bb54c6b.jpg

svp_porsche_radical_sr8_for_sale_hillclimb_28_zpsef11d902.jpg

Ibiza is now officially for sale for £12,995.00, which is a bargain considering the specification and pedigree. For sale thread to be added momentarily. Proven Championship winning race package well developed over last 10 years into a very quick hatchback. If you want to win MSA sprint races in Modified Series Production 1400-2000cc, this will get you there. :thumbup:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Truly the end of an era, it's been great watching the Ibiza develop over more than the last decade!

The Radical is, radical. Can't wait to see it in action

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members