Mk2 Leon door speaker upgrade from 6 1/2" to 8"

JMP

May 27, 2004
It seems there are people that have installed 8" midbass drivers to doors instead of the stock 6.5". Like this:

http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/12/14/17/56/leon_c17.jpg

Any one here done it and what kind of spacer did you add below the speaker? Also if you have sudgestion about a midbass driver to go for with a plain and not overly fancy grill would be good..

Lets not get into arguiment about how the door panel cannot support 8" and will resonate yadayada. Thanks

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
It seems there are people that have installed 8" midbass drivers to doors instead of the stock 6.5". Like this:

http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/12/14/17/56/leon_c17.jpg

Any one here done it and what kind of spacer did you add below the speaker? Also if you have sudgestion about a midbass driver to go for with a plain and not overly fancy grill would be good..

Lets not get into arguiment about how the door panel cannot support 8" and will resonate yadayada. Thanks

I am at work and can not see that page , but i doubt very much that an 8" speaker will fit without cutting the door , or unless you use a very shallow mounted depth with a samll magnet.I think the sound quality would suffer , going bigger does not mean better.

I fitted JL Audio 17cm speakers in my doors , dynamtted the doors and iirc had to use about 18mm mdf spacers which have to be very well secured to the doors , my bass is very good.

I believe the Golf has a different configuration in the front doors using a 3way system.
and the door is different.
Depends what you want from it at the end of the day , if you get a good balanced system with a good sub and set up properly it will take care of your bass needs and will even sound like its coming from the front doors.

JMP

May 27, 2004
If removing the original grill from the door, its possible to fit about 210mm outside diameter speaker to the door. No cutting needed for the panel but the mounting needs to be addressed.

Bigger is always better, dont believe your gf :p

Jonathan_Pow

MDF Speaker Rings

With MDF it would probably be possible, however, you would need to make sure the driver would fit in the hole in the first place.

The MDF rings would be best starting from the stock speaker screw holes and built outwards to the door edge (which is angled slightly). I doubt you could just hang a speaker off of the grille holes as they wouldn't be sturdy enough and wouldn't form an air-tight seal.

Although not 8" drivers, I have MDF rings installed in my door, they protrude from out of the door and are angled upwards. Funnily enough the speakers fire into the dash, although not absolutely perfect it is the best location I found that is still totally reversible to stock.

Cheers,

Jonathan

The Stigness

will a speaker that large be able to run properly of the standard cd player...
and will the sound quality be good?

JMP

May 27, 2004
will a speaker that large be able to run properly of the standard cd player...

Of course it will. Sensitivity of the speaker tends to go up when size goes up so it will play even louder with the same power.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Was thinking about this last night , you will not be able to get an 8" speaker into the pod that already exsists , you will have to change that or remove it and start from scratch.

JMP

May 27, 2004
Was thinking about this last night , you will not be able to get an 8" speaker into the pod that already exsists , you will have to change that or remove it and start from scratch.

What pod are you talking about, the mounting ring for the original speaker? Of course that has to go. I measured that outside diameter should be under 210mm if one wants to fit the speaker "inside" the grill hole. And the mounting diameter about 170mm which is a bit small but plastic is easy to cut. Mounting depth to the glass is a mystery at this point, but I dont think its an issue as the 8" will be raised from the original mounting position.

Im planning to make a shallow plywood ring as a spacer, use more wood to cover the area where the stock wiring is brought into the speaker. Attach the plywood to doorcard with some sikaflex, remove all plastic that gets in the way of the speaker and thats about it. A clear bonus would be to remove the doorcard and dampen it with some sound deading. But I think I will skip that at the moment and do it when I have more time.

On the negative side, I dont know yet what 8" midbass Im gonna use. Hopefully I find them soon.

I Just finished installing 2" peerless fullrange speakers to small speaker boxes on top of the dashboard and wired them to the original radio, seems to work great. Im still waiting for a navi facia to change my Alpine headunit. With some time aligment Im expecting an excellent stereo image..

tomg1988

I am at work and can not see that page , but i doubt very much that an 8" speaker will fit without cutting the door , or unless you use a very shallow mounted depth with a samll magnet.I think the sound quality would suffer , going bigger does not mean better.

I fitted JL Audio 17cm speakers in my doors , dynamtted the doors and iirc had to use about 18mm mdf spacers which have to be very well secured to the doors , my bass is very good.

I believe the Golf has a different configuration in the front doors using a 3way system.
and the door is different.
Depends what you want from it at the end of the day , if you get a good balanced system with a good sub and set up properly it will take care of your bass needs and will even sound like its coming from the front doors.

read your post, iv got a mk 2 seat leon fr , would my speakers in my door be 17" or if not wat would you think they are, lookin to get better sound quality , the ones that you get with the car are sh*t

thanks

n5erd

Speed Lover
May 20, 2009
Glasgow
So which speakers then?

So who else has done this and what 8" speakers did you use?

if not then which speaker adaptor and 6.5" speaker did you use, as i need a powerful 6.5" to replace the factory standard ones

Thanks for all the help, but just love bass and can't get enough

Scotty2hotty

The futures bright...
Mar 30, 2010
Newcastle

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Changed my speakers as per that thread but put in Pioneer TS-E1702IS rather than Infinitys. Left the OEM tweeters connected as well.

Scotty2hotty

The futures bright...
Mar 30, 2010
Newcastle
Did you notice a massive audible difference? Still using the stock head unit? I wish you could stop the door card vibrations when blasting the stereo. Really annoying [:@]

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
It's certainly better than before and a definite improvement. Still using the stock head-unit which is ok but I think the speakers deserve better. Got my eye on a Pioneer touchscreen job.

Scotty2hotty

The futures bright...
Mar 30, 2010
Newcastle
why upgrade to a bigger size, when RE XXX 6.5 comps are available :D

Lol those speakers are mental! More like subs. Do you have them fitted? They are massive though, you would have to modify the door cards and the speaker grills so they would have to be more prominent.

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
Lol those speakers are mental! More like subs. Do you have them fitted? They are massive though, you would have to modify the door cards and the speaker grills so they would have to be more prominent.

yeah, i would reccomend something to "strengthen" the door cars and use that as spacers too.
ive had them before in my old car!

what a mental piece of equipment! i was abit of a bassjunkie, so did alot of installs.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.