MK5 1.2 TSi

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
Just been looking around the Seat.com website and see that they are selling the Ibiza as a 1.2 TSi engine (105 bhp), does anyone know if they will be releasing these engines onto the UK market?

Also anyone know of any tuned versions yet and what they can give output wise :confused:

Giz

Mar 12, 2010
Leyland
Hmm sounds a good little engine!
Wonder how much they'll retail at over here if they do!
Can see me swappin my 1.4 sport for one haha

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
I was thinking EXACTLY the same!! If they do I should think they will replace the 1.6 petrol sport version. Want to see what MPG they will achieve and what performance gains could be had with a Revo/remap

Giz

Mar 12, 2010
Leyland
Am I right thinking there's a 1.2 Leon????
Can't see that being much fun lol

Quite interested in this 1.2 tsi engine!
Will insurance be less than the 1.6 or will it still stay similar due to the power it gives out ?!?!?

Marcato

The 1.2TSI in the ST is approx. £1300 more than the 1.4! Take for example the current cost of the 1.6 upgrade from the 1.4 on the SC which is only £600, should make the 1.2TSI SC around £12900 which still makes it cheap compared with the Polo SEL 1.2TSI @ £14700

I'd assume the car will also come with a 6spd manual, and should be easier to drive than my 1.6, as it has more torque. Tuning potential it should be good for 130BHP I'd guess. The engine isn't supercharged, so far as I'm aware.

Definitely wish this engine was available when I'd ordered mine, if only for the lacklustre fuel economy of the 1.6. Hell, even Skoda blagged this engine before SEAT!

Marcato

Not necessarily - the VW tech page describes a TSI as the following:

Direct petrol injection with charging. Direct petrol injection is combined with a turbocharger or with a turbocharger and a supercharger working in tandem. This enhances the engine's combustion efficiency so the TSI engine power output is much higher than that of conventional, naturally aspirated engines.

Since it's not a performance engine I'd guess at there being no supercharger, it's probably the same on the 1.4TSI the Leon has, that's 125BHP, even though the supercharged version is good for over 200!

Marcato

The 1.2 TSI with just a remap can reach 140ps and 220nm !!!!

My original feeling was somewhere between 140-150BHP but wondered if the clutch/gearbox was good for it. Presumably on something originally intended to be 105bhp/175nm the clutch is going to be smaller and less durable. If this has been done I guess it must be tested and reliable, which makes it more impressive from such a small lump.

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
Not necessarily - the VW tech page describes a TSI as the following:

Direct petrol injection with charging. Direct petrol injection is combined with a turbocharger or with a turbocharger and a supercharger working in tandem. This enhances the engine's combustion efficiency so the TSI engine power output is much higher than that of conventional, naturally aspirated engines.

Since it's not a performance engine I'd guess at there being no supercharger, it's probably the same on the 1.4TSI the Leon has, that's 125BHP, even though the supercharged version is good for over 200!

Oooooo I see, shame if that there won't be one on there. Will this not cause lag on the turbo? I'm also guessing the turbo is low pressure and won't cut in until around 3-3.5k RPM?

Dec 3, 2009
Oooooo I see, shame if that there won't be one on there. Will this not cause lag on the turbo? I'm also guessing the turbo is low pressure and won't cut in until around 3-3.5k RPM?

the turbo will be tiny = no turbo lag.