Moss on window seals and wet windows

densil

Feb 22, 2007
Hi,

I have a 57 plate Leon MK2 and recently noticed whilst being seated in the car the window seals (running along the base of the window) all have moss / algae on them. Running my nail over it removes the moss but is this a normal thing? If so what do people usually clean it off with? I have had the notorious wet windows problem, is it related?

Furthermore, with regards to the wet windows issue, is it just a case of turning up to a SEAT dealership saying that you have the wet windows issue, and possibly stating the reference number which I believe is floating around on these forums, and then they will fix it under warranty? I have a horrible feeling that I will turn up and they will simply not believe that I have the fault.

Will be most grateful for any help,

Regards,

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Do you park regularly under trees and in shade?
I had this problem on an MG ZR and a Freelander, it's the sap :cry:, just like shady patio's.
The seals eventually go hard too

Last edited:
If it's really moss, it'll be because of wetness, yes. Interesting fact of the day is that moss have sperm (i.e. proper little swimming things, like animals tend to have) rather than pollen like most modern plants. This is why you only get much moss in really wet places, because there needs to be a film of water for the sperm to swim through, otherwise nothing gets fertilised.

But I'm afraid I know nothing about the wet windows problem or how the dealer might respond. :(

dave mac

Nov 28, 2007
i also have this issue and do park under a large trees (have to constantly wax and quik detail) what is the best solution for ensuring the seals dont go hard?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.