Most expensive repair?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
When I bought my LCR (03 plate 210 LCR, now has 34k miles) I was given 6 months warranty, with the option to extend it for the next two years, I simply have to decide within the 6 months if I want to extend.

I have about 4 months left and I'm unsure of the warranties worth. From memory, it will cost around £300 for 2 years. The warranty is through the Inchape dealer network, but they allow me to get work done at a main dealer and have them invoice Inchape.
However, I'm considering a couple of basic mods - remap, cat back exhaust, panel filter, engine mount, short shifter - all of which may cause problems with the warranty if I extend it, so I'm wondering if it's worth paying out for if there is a risk of any work being refused?

My biggest fear is not buying the warranty and having something serious go wrong. But what 'big' costs could occur with the LCR?

Obviously the turbo could die, but what price are you looking at (fitted) for a new turbo and related work?
And what other nasties could occur and how much would they cost to resolve?
And are any of these things likely, or even common, on cars with 70-80k miles on them?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Rob

Chaz

I think it depends on the dealer and the warranty that is offered. I decided to extened my warranty after my three years were up and I told my SEAT dealer everything that was done to my car, remap, exhaust etc. Well, they knew about the exhaust, cai etc cause you can see them.

My worry was the map, so I asked the question. They told me as long as I don't push the bhp too high, then my turbo will still be covered

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
what sort of price was the extended warranty from the stealers? do mods up the fee???

Dennis

Polisher
May 11, 2005
Got one on my elise cost £600 for 2 years with £2K claim limit.

From experience they none manufaturer warrenties do not like paying out to start with but after pushing they do pay but you may find they will not pay the full dealer labour rate (after pushing they will meet specilist costs but not main stealer)

Will be getting one for our lasses LCR when it get to 3 years old

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
So is the general opinion it is worth paying out for then? Even if I intend on modifying some parts?

mc

Jan 15, 2006
Birmingham
My car is nearly three years old, I've had it since january, and I've already had to get the radiator fans done, and a lambda probe replaced. the probe would have cost me £180 fitted, so the costs mount up pretty quickly.
I paid for another years extended warranty, at the end of which I'll probably change cars!

Tabazan

I wouldn't really consider owning any modern car without a warranty, even little things like electrical faults can take ages to diagnose and cost a fortune in labour etc.

Our old Polo Gti had a weird intermittent electrical fault which the dealers couldn't find, I hate to think what it would've cost us if we hadn't been covered

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Well I think my mind has been made up, I'll definitely extend the warranty.

What swung it for me is when I realised I could have work done by other garages, not just the one it came from or main dealers. So long as they are a reputable, VAT registered garage the warranty company will authorise them to carry out the work :D

So I'm putting this to the test by having JKM look at my car next week, as per my other post in this forum :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise