move over polish, welcome carnauba wax

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Nobody should wax paint to give it a shine, a wax is meant to protect, if you want something to shine then providing your paintwork is in perfect condition (which lets face it very few cars are, most carry at least some swirls and minor imperfections even if cleaned to a high standard) you need to be polishing it.

If you are genuinely noticing a shine after applying a wax (and it's not just the placebo effect) chances are it's using fillers to cover up the imperfections in your paintwork (swirls, minor scratches etc..)

If your paint was in mint condition you would notice no difference at all after applying the wax.

Last edited:

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
Spend hours waxing the car, really enjoyable - layering the wax,i refrain from polish as much as possible, as it removes all the layers of wax!
but what is very noticeable is the difference between different wax's and the difference in shine from a polish or sealant shine compared to wax, that is what has infaturated me and yes detailing is very rewarding and the sky is the limit,a endless fun hobby:) that r222 wax video is the holy grail for me,mission on:)

Last edited:

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
No 50/50 to show any difference, I will maintain that any difference noticed will be due to the wax filling imperfections in the paint, if your paint is mint a wax will make no difference to the look or shine of your paint, that is the job of polish :)

No disrespect meant to you at all bud because you car looks in very nice condition I just don't feel that you are using the correct product for the results you are trying to achieve.

Wax should be the last step imo after applying the polish as the polish is meant to offer the gleaming finish and the wax is there as a layer to protect that shine.

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
There are only two means of paint protection: waxing and sealing. Traditionally, the much sought-after, liquid-like, deep shine is attained through a pure carnauba paste wax. But, even car buffs will admit that carnaubas are moderately difficult and time consuming (up to twelve hours to cure!), tend to streak, haze, and deteriorate in high humidity and temperatures, and most have solvents that eventually dry and dull paint. The biggest complaint concerning waxes is their short life span of eight to ten weeks, at best.

Liquid paint sealants, unlike waxes, are quick and easy to apply (under an hour), suitable for extreme climates, resistant to salt, UV rays, and humidity. The most dramatic difference between a paint sealant and a paste wax is the duration of the protection it offers. A paint sealant lasts five to six months, even in the southern-most states. The biggest complaint about typical paint sealants is the cold, superficial shine.

Everyone longs for that rich, wet-looking carnauba gloss finish, but few have time for proper upkeep - ( That's the enjoyment if you like washing and polishing your car reguarly:))

Last edited:

AdamRoutley

Use The Force!!
Feb 22, 2007
Walsall
www.myspace.com
nobody should wax paint to give it a shine, a wax is meant to protect, if you want something to shine then providing your paintwork is in perfect condition (which lets face it very few cars are, most carry at least some swirls and minor imperfections even if cleaned to a high standard) you need to be polishing it.

If you are genuinely noticing a shine after applying a wax (and it's not just the placebo effect) chances are it's using fillers to cover up the imperfections in your paintwork (swirls, minor scratches etc..)

if your paint was in mint condition you would notice no difference at all after applying the wax.

Page 2.

depth comes from the quality of paint layers and specifically the clear coat. When people "detail" properly normally consists of using a machine polisher with different grades of polish and pads.

This takes off the edges of swirls and burns them down to produce a continuous flat polished surface. Once this is achieved, all wax does is simply protect that layer (clear coat). The reason expensive waxes have carnauba in them is because this is hard and durable.

So to surmise, then shine comes from the car, the base, the foundations if you like. A wax simply preserves it.

If you don't tackle swirls, holograms, minor scratches and then add wax, all you are simply doing is masking imperfections.

Some polishes for example, autoglym super resin polish have filling agents in which fill these swirls temporarily and then you wax over them to protect them.

So..if you simple wax your car without any previous steps all you are doing is getting a mediocre finish that is temporary and wasting an expensive wax.

Last edited:

AndyN

Feb 7, 2014
I go with sealant for two reasons: durability and I have a metallic white car so reflections are poor at the best of times. Sealant gives more than wax.

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
WHAT DO AUTOMOBILE CLEAR COAT FINISHES REALLY NEED?

If the purpose of the clear coat is to add depth and gloss to the final paint finish, wouldn’t it be counterproductive to apply anything that does not buff out to be as clear as the clear coat itself?

Carnauba wax in its natural form is not clear. It creates a dull, milky white film on the leaves of the palm tree from which it is harvested. Have you experienced the white stain residue most Carnauba waxes leave in cracks and crevices after waxing? It follows that Carnauba wax will distort the perfectly clear appearance of a new or well-maintained clear coat finish.

What the modern clear coat finish requires is proper cleaning and light polishing to remove fine cobweb scratches and swirl marks, and clear, durable protection. Carnauba wax cannot meet this demand

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
Well I've found the perfect shine ive been looking for - Washed with a bucket and sponge,polished once every six months! wax or sealed every weekend- its the SEALANT that's giving me the finishing shine. TURTLE WAX GLOSS SEALANT.

The search is over for me,excstatic with the result - think carnauba wax has being overtaken with technology!

Last edited:

MattMK5

Jul 7, 2013
Don't get me wrong, the car looks good, but I wouldn't say that it should be too difficult with a newer car?

Waxing straight on to paint work that's only been washed won't last as long.

I would go:

Snowfoam
Degreaser
2 Bucket Wash - Wool mitt
Dry with Microfibre plush towels
Clay - every 2-3 months dependant on paint condition
2 Bucket Wash
Polish - Hand or Machine every 2-3 months
Glaze - Poorboys black hole or similar
Wax
Quick Detail

Then a maintenance wash would be Snowfoam, degreaser, 2BW and a quick detailer.

This thread is actually verging on laughable...

from post 1 (12.03.2014)
cupra fan said:
carnauba wax the way forward!

to post 13 (13.03.2014)
cupra fan said:
i'll leave detailing cars to others,don't have the time for all that faf!

to post 62 (15.03.2014)
cupra fan said:
Spend hours waxing the car, really enjoyable - layering the wax,i refrain from polish as much as possible, as it removes all the layers of wax!

to 2 days later... post 69 (17.03.2014)
cupra fan said:
Carnaubau wax's,belong to the dinosaurs!

and today... post 72 (18.03.2014)
cupra fan said:
The search is over for me,excstatic with the result - think carnauba wax has being overtaken with technology!

That's some detailing journey...

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
This thread is actually verging on laughable...

from post 1 (12.03.2014)

to post 13 (13.03.2014)

to post 62 (15.03.2014)

to 2 days later... post 69 (17.03.2014)

and today... post 72 (18.03.2014)

That's some detailing journey...

Yep it was a quest,learning on the journey and got to a result,only problem is I like washing polishing my car every weekend,and with sealant lasting so long,has caused me a problem:shrug:

Yep it was a quest,learning on the journey and got to a result,only problem is I like washing polishing my car every weekend,and with sealant lasting so long,has caused me a problem:shrug:

Thing is you don't know how long your sealant/Wax will actually last because you've not given it time?!

I'm not judging, because there's nothing more I like than to spend hours cleaning my car, but I do try to make it as easy/quick as possible. Especially as recently I've not got the time to spend with 2 young kids!

As a few folk above have mentioned above. Stick the sealant/wax on, in the weeks after give it a 2BM wash and top up with a Quick Detailer... my choice is Megs Last Touch but there's others... prob worth reading a couple of reviews!

My 2p... I'll keep quiet now.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members