Mpg

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Wondered what other peeps were getting as an mpg figure for motorway?
I get approx 36-37 mpg at steady 80 (GPS 80, not indicated 80 which is about 75...).
Flat m/way 4 adults, no luggage. Other have suggested this is a bit low but I think its reasonable for speed/load?
2.0 TDI remapped.

8MU

On the trip back home from work last week, 20 miles 80% of which is bypass type A road sat at 60 on cruise control I got 58.1 mpg average on the trip computer as I pulled into driveway ,,2.0 TDI sport,,I was impressed

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Seems a bit low, but I have seen people getting the extremes in mpg with these engines, 1.9tdi and 2.0 tdi. I get on average 41mpg from a 1.9tdi (no remap), others getting consistant 600-650miles per tank, my best is 540miles/per tank, absolute best! Worst 390miles. check joins between intercooler, turbo, intake pipes, ensure proper seal, i have issue with bottom intercooler boost pipe, not fully sealed, pipe replaced and still not sealing properly, oil residue seeps out.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
bottom intercooler pipe is a completely crap design. Mines popped off twice. Now has back up of strong cable ties.....
Sure at 60 I'd probably get 55+ but I am sure that the consumption goes up massively over 65/70. Will try a few more steady runs.
32mpg around town aint too bad and thats an average of about 17mph and I do hoof it at any oppertunity... :)

Hampton Caught

No It's These Trousers
Dec 8, 2009
Near Hampton Court
In my Freetrack I regularly get 40-41 on my daily 10 mile commute which is a mixture of residential roads, dual carriageways with traffic lights and roundabouts and the A3, at a steady 50. Ahem!

At motorway speeds, the consumption varies hugely depending upon my average speed, as anyone would expect. 70 mph shows an average of 40-43 mpg whilst 60 shows figures of 60 mpg or thererabouts. I've noticed at 80 the consumption drops to mid-late 30's on private roads, of course.

All these figures are using the car's speedo and the trip computer. Car is an Altea Freetrack (170Ps TDi) with the standard, wide wheels (225s) plus there's the extra weight of the four wheel drive to lug around and the extra ground clearance doesn't help the diesel diet!!

Will be having a motorway trip four up with a roof box shortly, so that should be 'interesting'! :blink: I'll report back with figures when I'm back.

Cheers, Steve

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Done 150 miles on the m4 75mpg with cruise on,and about 40 miles of 50mph zones and got 52mpg there and the same back the next day! I was only on my own though,but i am 16 stone. :D

alnsaz

Dec 7, 2005
West of Scotland
Struggling to get 33mpg and any more than 400 mile / tank from my Freetrack

Starting to p**s me off a bit - all I seem to be doing is visiting the local Morrisons forecourt! Tried BP ultimate and just seem to pay more for the same mpg/performance

Suppose it's not bad for the size and weight of car and I'm not light with the right foot, although I did expect a bit better given the quoted figures from SEAT. I do a mix of all types of driving roughly 350 miles per week

Great car but thinking of a change - there are BMW tourings available that do nearly 60mpg with the same 170+ horsepower if I can live with a little less space!

Originalfake

Optimistic manufacturer's figures - Altea TDi FR

After reading this thread my recent post...

"Granted I'm never going to get over 50MPG but am struggling to get 40MPG on a mixed A road / motorway trip at a very steady pace?! A little closer to the manufacturer's 45.6 combined mpg would be nice.

I had our A2 TDi supperchipped and as well as the obvious performance gains, I noted a marked improvement in MPG so just wondered if anyone has had their Altea or Leon TDi 170BHP chipped and if so, if they witnessed any fuel gain, Superchips themselves are claiming an average 3-4 mpg gain"

...begins to look a little dumbfounded as some of you guys are not even achieving this figure. Then again if I do go down the Superchips route I'll let you know the results.

All the best , Andy

my 2.0 tdi sport is remapped to approx 175-180. if i drive to work from my hourse i'm getting about 47-49 mpg and thats 80% motorway on a 15-20 trip. if i drive from the girlfriends which adds a ton of slow moving traffic and extra miles then i'm getting about 51-52mpg

i'll reset mine today on the motorway and see what it reports at 80mph.

Originalfake

Update

I've now managed about 41MPG on a 140 mile round trip, mainly (80-85mph on the motorway), so if I was to get it chipped then I'd be nigh on the manufacturer's claim so I can't really grumble.

Best ./Andy

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
I've now managed about 41MPG on a 140 mile round trip, mainly (80-85mph on the motorway), so if I was to get it chipped then I'd be nigh on the manufacturer's claim so I can't really grumble.

Best ./Andy

I take it you assuming you'll get more mpg if its chipped?
They claim it,but in the real world i've never seen it happen! :(

cherryone

Dec 15, 2006
Just come back from a 1700 mile trip to the french alps last week, averaged 44 mpg fully loaded in my 2.0tdi cruising at 85 for most of journey on the beautiful autoroutes, mind you that was using millers aswell !!
Happy days.

8MU

On the trip back home from work last week, 20 miles 80% of which is bypass type A road sat at 60 on cruise control I got 58.1 mpg average on the trip computer as I pulled into driveway ,,2.0 TDI sport,,I was impressed

On the journey home last night I pulled into the drive showing 59.9,I rekon it would be down to the traffic lights as to wether I could do the journey @ 60 mpg

Originalfake

Did a 400 mile round trip at the weekend, again majority on motorway, cruise set at 85mph, that said, there seems to be road works everywhere at the moment, so this frequently dropped so as not to get 'papped' by the average cameras, and it averaged 41.7mpg.

Called Superchips direct and they claim 2-3mpg gain, so who knows, truth is I'll probably be sticking with it as is and just enjoy the ride.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Ours is sitting at an average of 45mpg at the moment. Given that it's winter and warm up times are rather longer than usual I don't think it's too bad for the sort of trips it's doing.

Hampton Caught

No It's These Trousers
Dec 8, 2009
Near Hampton Court
As promised, here's my feedback after my French Alps trip.

1,550 miles covered, mostly with the four of us on board, boot loaded to the roof (the luggage guard behind the rear seats was helpful) and an Atera roof box rammed with stuff on top. On the journey home, almost all of which was on the autoroutes using cruise at 125 kmh (73 mph or thereabouts) the Freetrack averaged 35 mpg.

I thought that was OK, given the performance available, the weight the engine was hauling and the roof box and bars (Atera again) disturbing the air flow. I'm intrigued by Cherryone's fuel consumption. I'm guessing that without the roof box and bars and with Millers in the tank, 44 mpg may be possible.... maybe!

One thing that really stood out was how small the fuel tank is. My previous cars have had 15 gallon (my MG ZT-T) and 18 gallon (LR Discovery) tanks and the reduced range with the Freetrack's tiny tank was annoying. Mind you, it would be even more noticeable if the car was petrol!

Frozen windscreen washers were the only problem encountered on the trip. Made do with pulling up at service stations and using snow lying around to clean the windscreen. Unusual, but it worked!

Cheers, Steve

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise