Multiple problems at once

JockeS

Dec 11, 2021
Had my Formentor for about 14 months now and since day 1 I have had problems. Barely managed to get 2 kilometers with the car before the problems started.

It all started with vibrations right after I left the car dealership. According to the seller, the problem would disappear after a few miles as the tires probably became a little oval due to it being stationary for 2 months during the summer. But after a day or so the problem remained and we discover that a tire had a damage. It took about 4 months before the tire was replaced under warranty after various emails back and forth.
But the problems did not end there.

The following problems are here to stay and some come more sporadically.
1. The charging hatch cant be closed or opened without banging hard at it.
2. The car resets to factory settings approx. 1 time per month. Which means that the language is in English instead of Swedish. Date and time are out of sync. All apps, etc. is gone as I set before.
3. The front sensor stops working as soon as it rains or gets a little dirt on it. Then the cruise control or anything else to do with the front does not work.
4. Vibrations are still there even though there are other rims and winter tires on the car now.
5. The volume on the car stereo usually starts up at almost maximum volume when you start the car so you have to be ready to lower the volume to not wake up the whole neighborhood.
6. The seat heating on the passenger side has stopped working 3 times.
7. When driving on the cruise control, when it works, even though you have chosen the maximum distance to the car in front, it slames the brakes when getting near a car in front. This most recently resulted in my car skidding on the highway. (Apparently a common problem for several Formentor-owners)
8. This is not a problem with the car. But the Cupra app is only free for the first 12 months and then it costs around £100 a year to use. Which means that you cannot preheat the car in the winter without manually programming this in the infotainment system. And since we use the car more sporadically, this is completely useless.

So, what's it like for the rest of you? Any recognizable errors?

Cupra themselves say "we will look into the matter" and then there is silence. The workshop has tried to fix several things, but since they can't find the problems, they can't do anything.

So it's a bit like banging your head against the wall all the time and here you're stuck with a lease for another 24 months that can't be broken without paying several hundred pounds. More precisely, about 2000 pounds.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Danm... That's unlucky.

2: this happened for a period of about a week, where I pressed cancel every time. Then it went away.

3: Mine did this a lot, but mostly it's gone now, after I had the thick license plate holder removed since it interferes. Might even be related to item 7?

That's all I recognise. Those issues would drive me crazy. #4 sounds unbearable.

Reactions: JockeS

JockeS

Dec 11, 2021
Danm... That's unlucky.

2: this happened for a period of about a week, where I pressed cancel every time. Then it went away.

3: Mine did this a lot, but mostly it's gone now, after I had the thick license plate holder removed since it interferes. Might even be related to item 7?

That's all I recognise. Those issues would drive me crazy. #4 sounds unbearable.
2: The reset happens when we are not in the car. It appears when I get in the car and start it up. Then everything is reset. Like it happens by itselves during the night.

3: In Sweden we have a little smaler license plate then in UK. So I dont think that is the issue here.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
2: The reset happens when we are not in the car. It appears when I get in the car and start it up. Then everything is reset. Like it happens by itselves during the night.

3: In Sweden we have a little smaler license plate then in UK. So I dont think that is the issue here.
2: Oooh I see. Have you noticed if it is chaning users? Maybe it's defauling to Guest. Sounds like it could be a user/key problem

3: We have the same in Denmark compared to Sweden, I think. And mine was an issue. Can't quite tell from your picture but if the license plate is mounted in an extra smaller frame it could be an issue.

JockeS

Dec 11, 2021
2: Oooh I see. Have you noticed if it is chaning users? Maybe it's defauling to Guest. Sounds like it could be a user/key problem

3: We have the same in Denmark compared to Sweden, I think. And mine was an issue. Can't quite tell from your picture but if the license plate is mounted in an extra smaller frame it could be an issue.
2: No, it starts upp with me as default user, not guest.

3. Oh I think so too. And as far I can see is that the license plate cannot interfere with the sensor.
it is mounted on the original plate holder that are one with the bumper?

JockeS

Dec 11, 2021
8DA83191-7103-48C6-985D-FBFA955B225B.jpeg

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Ah yes, that's good! Nothing to improve there. Mine was in a bracket screwed into the original plate holder.

Reactions: JockeS

rsmiech

Dec 20, 2022
Except vibration i'm familiar with all your list of issues. :) Unlike you, the first problems apear ofter 500km when i leave dealer, next day. :) At 6000km milage the transmision module fails. Local dealer trying to repair under guaranty, but they didn't. They found OBD11 puted into the diagnostic socket and at that case they waited for the importer decision whether the warranty still applies. After a month of promises i finally took my car to my garage and repir it myself within 2 hours. The harness socket to the box controller had one unsecured pin that stopped contacting. Manufacturing defect. It was one of the CAN_H bus lines.
Best regards. Actually i chiped my VZ 310 2022 to the 411BHP. Only software mod, stage1. Here

rsmiech

Dec 20, 2022
and why the active cruise control stops working in such cases. Couldn't be just a regular cruise control then? In winter, most systems stop working. Modern technology sucks

Scriminjer

Oct 13, 2022
I cleaned my front sensor; the area with the camera on the windscreen and the front bumper sensors with a couple of glass cleaning wipes and I’ve had no random alerts or issues since.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
and why the active cruise control stops working in such cases. Couldn't be just a regular cruise control then? In winter, most systems stop working. Modern technology sucks
I used OBDeleven and coded in the option of standard cruise control.
Now I have the options ( speed limiter, cruise control, ACC )

JockeS

Dec 11, 2021
Case closed

Cupra/Volkswagen made the decision to approve the claim on the car and it has now been returned to the dealer and sent back to Cupra.

So now I am no longer the owner of any Cupra at all as it was also realized that I will not be able to trust the car even if I got a new one, and that the delivery time for a new car would be far too long.

I suggested exchanging the car for a Born with the same arrangement as my previous leasing agreement, but they didn't want that, and instead solved the problem by removing me as a customer/owner.

Both good and sad news but still think this was the best thing that could happen.
And also a confirmation that you realize that there are faults with the car that will not be rectified in a sensible way.