My 312mm Brake Upgrade

Dave 77

Dave ;)
Nov 13, 2009
Hertfordshire
As the title says i upgraded my 288mm brakes on my Boca to some 312mm ones

What u need is a set of carriers, caliper, disks and pads (the stock calipers that come with the cupra/boca are not quite right unlike i first thought)

Photo197.jpg

I found out the hard way half way thought and had to try get a pair on a sat morning...fun (had to go to the TT shop in bedford, thx dave for driving me there and ur help :))

Here are a few photos i took

New disks and carriers
Photo195.jpg

New disk and old
Photo196.jpg

Before
Photo193.jpg

After
Photo198.jpg

Only run a few miles so far but they already feel alot better than the old ones [B)]

I have also added a pair of Ferodo 2500 pads and they do now rip ur face off ;)

Last edited:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I hadn't thought about the springs sorry about that, didn't realise they were different but makes sense they would be. Done loads of 312mm conversions before but always used the complete set up.

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
may be upgrading my FRs brakes then now :)
im guessing this is the same or being an FR do i need anything diffrent?

id also be intrested in putting bigger disks on the back too, i know majorty of the brakeing is done by the front, but the back ones look tiny! want to upgrade for aesthetic reasons really

dan_wilson87

powered by bocanegra
Oct 1, 2009
im geussing tht these are the standard calipers not the seat sport added extra ones...would i be right? if so tht makes it one hell of and easy conversion

dan_wilson87

powered by bocanegra
Oct 1, 2009
proper quality tht, i had a little race last night, had to stop quiackly as a local residant jumped in the middle of the f@*$ing road, nearly killed the fool and thn thought the car could do with some extra anchor power, how much better are the 312 discs, also could u put up a link. cheers

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance here as I have probably misunderstood the post.

If you are using the same callipers and (assuming) the same pads, surely you are applying the same braking force to the disc as before so there would be no gain in braking performance. Possibly with a bigger disc it would dissipate heat better but in normal driving conditions how does this improve braking?

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=259946&page=2

Check out post 22 :)

With the bigger discs you will see better braking as there's a greater surface area for the pad to bite onto and they provide more leverage and also reduce fading.

Fully agree that fade will probably reduce with the bigger disc.

But I am struggling to see how you have a "greater surface area for the pad to bite into" as this is the same size pad as before so the surface area has not changed.

The leverage thing, have I got this right. You are saying applying the same braking force but move it further away from the hub, will improve brake performance?

Last edited:

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
This has me confused too. Wont you need a bigger caliper with bigger pad size to fully utilize the wider disk area?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The disc isn't wider it's just further away from the centre of the wheel.

Flip the situation in reverse, try to start something spinning, is it easy to spin holding onto the centre or the outside edge? It's called mean effective radius.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
WOOHOO!!! Higher Grade subjects this morning, too early hahahahahaha. The conversion does look good though, i love the way the bigger disc fills the wheel so much better.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Oh I get it now!

Nice, its good you dont have to buy more expensive calipers. Are these any calipers with more bite other than going the whole 4-pot route?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Not really. Only option would be mk4 R32 brakes which are huge, but only twin pots and very expensive for new genuine discs.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.