My car sounds like a helicopter

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I was driving home on Saturday night when I became aware of a strange noise. At first I thought it was a helicopter flying overhead, as we get quite a few of them here on the coast. However, I eventually worked out that it was coming from the car - probably from one of the wheels or tyres. It happened again yesterday and I asked my other half if she could hear a noise. She said "Isn't it a helicopter outside?".

It seems to come and go and could be speed related. It is a sort of pulsating, rhythmic throbbing sound, very much like that produced by a helicopter's rotors. I think it might be a wheel bearing on the way out or possibly a worn CV joint (hopefully not).

Has anybody else experience this or have any idea what it might be? I have booked it in at a local garage tomorrow to see if they can locate the fault and they are also replacing the worn rear brake discs while they are about it. I am not very comfortable driving the car until I know what is wrong with it.

jamie_

Dec 22, 2010
Cumbria
Had it a couple of times, if is more apparent when cornering it could be a worn wheel bearing I had this on my other mk4. I found that one of the rear wheel bearings were shot so I replaced it only to find the other had gone but wasn't as loud.

Also check the condition of your tyres, on my FR one if the sidewalls on my tyre was completely knackered with a huge bleb which caused a rumblig noise

Hope this helps
Jamie

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks for the replies. The garage where it is booked in tomorrow is an MOT station, so I will ask them to give the bearings and tyres a good going over. They should be able to do that.

blackcupra180

Aug 4, 2009
fife
Report back on how you got on. The mechanic told me my wheel bearings were fine and past it on its mot. Needless to say he was red faced when I told him I wanted the bearing changed and the noise went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Will do. I have also asked them to try to locate a persistent knocking/rattle from somewhere under the car. I have discovered and fixed several things which I thought could be causing it but it is still there.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I got my car back from the garage yesterday. They took it for a test drive and worked out that the rattling/knocking noise was coming from worn ARB drop links and that this might also be linked to the other noise. They replaced the drop links, checked all the wheel bearings for excessive play and confirmed that they were OK. They also replaced the rear brake discs and pads and the total bill including VAT was £157 which didn't seem too bad.

The main thing is that the persistent rattle has finally gone after six months and there was no sign of the helicopter noise either. I don't understand how but they seem to have cured it for the time being at least.

I had a new ARB fitted by the main dealers earlier this year and for some reason they didn't replace the drop links at the same time. I think it is worth insisting that this gets done as it appears to be false economy not to do so.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.