My First Problem: water ingestion

Mat

Looks like I have my first problem since owning the Cupra.

Was popping to work this morning, and took a different route (couldn't be arsed with speed humps), anyway, it turned out it was flooded, so i turned round and went normal way.

On way home, I forgot about the flood, however, it looked shallow, so went through.

Tested brakes after, then it was struggleing for power, got it back but had to pull up and lost it all.

Wouldn't rev abouv 1500rpm, game James @ JBS a ring and he suggested removing MAF. Being a twat, I wasn't sure which bit it was lol. So rang Mr_D (cheers bud). Got it home, unplugged MAF (by this point it would rev to 2500 and finally about 3500). Removing MAF seems to have fixed it. So it's now drying out in the airing cupboard, see if it's ok 2moz

I feel like a "proper" tuner now LMAO.

Note to self, remember the force air feed down at the bottom of the wheel arch. Also avoid any puddles deeper than an inch :D

Last edited by a moderator:

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
Looks like I have my first problem since owning the Cupra.

Was popping to work this morning, and took a different route (couldn't be arsed with speed humps), anyway, it turned out it was flooded, so i turned round and went normal way.

On way home, I forgot about the flood, however, it looked shallow, so went through.

Tested brakes after, then it was struggleing for power, got it back but had to pull up and lost it all.

Wouldn't rev abouv 1500rpm, game James @ JBS a ring and he suggested removing MAF. Being a twat, I wasn't sure which bit it was lol. So rang Mr_D (cheers bud). Got it home, unplugged MAF (by this point it would rev to 2500 and finally about 3500). Removing MAF seems to have fixed it. So it's now drying out in the airing cupboard, see if it's ok 2moz

I feel like a "proper" tuner now LMAO.

Note to self, remember the force air feed down at the bottom of the wheel arch. Also avoid any puddles deeper than an inch :D

if a wet MAF is all you suffered, you have been very lucky indeed !!!

a mate of mine did similar only he basically filled his engine with water............ that was that car scrapped :(

Mat

well it feeling ok so far. don't think i took too much water on board

any other things i should keep an eye out for?

Mat

BTW: if i do need a new MAF, where's best place? GSF? or somewhere like JBS?

Mat

edit: can someone post a pic of what the maf looks like?

think i unplugged the right bit. light piece of plastic. round, it the bits coming off it. however, looking at pics on here, it doesn't look like any of them

sparkie1984

sparky
Aug 17, 2008
SDC11056.jpg

im sure the maf is the small bit of black plastic between my tip and air filter

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
Mat - how did you manage 6500+ posts in 18 months and not know where the MAF is? ;-) ;)

Sparkie and the post above are correct for location but their descprition relies on you knowing what the TIP is and where the air filter is ;-)

The maf is normally sold (for example, at EuroCarParts) as a complete unit, on a 'swap' basis. Without the swap it will cost you £40+ extra. Easy to change.

ian_cupra

mat mat mat, come on dude, is this why you was ringing me?? i was out having a meal at the time mate, sorry or would have answered!
you got a cold air feed upto your filter??

jattjoka01

Dec 13, 2008
London
Shallow? sounds like you went for a drive in the river thames!! Its happened to me before in my mk3 Golf misjudged the puddle and ended up driving through a massive lake! i had lost my power and my car was jumpy! but i had a trick up my sleeve i ripped the living S*IT out of it until the water came out fully! Water even got into my exhaust! as the car was lowered a little shy of 120 mm!!

Mat

ian: yes this is why i rang you, and yes i do have a cold feed

anyway, turns out it wasn't the MAF I removed. According to Caveo, I had removed the oil resovoire or summat (black plastic thing next to DV lol). It sorted the problem, plugged it back on this mornin.

Anyway, runnin fine now. Ran vag com and running misfires on Cylinders 1, 2 & 3. Could this be water related????

RichN: I had about 5,500 posts before getting the cupra ;) Seeing pictures is a bit different from looking at the actual engine LAMO

Mat

bump...

anyone got any ideas on the misfires? would this be related to goin through a puddle? Car certainly feels fine TBH

ian_cupra

you vag-com'd it again after clearing the faults? any of them back?

thats why my cold air feed isnt attached to the filter, to prevent water ingestion :D

Mat

you vag-com'd it again after clearing the faults? any of them back?

They're the only faults I got. Tried running VAG COM sat night after the "incident" but mine was being gay. Anyway, the engine management light went off on its own saturday night.

Ran VAG COM yesterday on Caveos, and it just bought up the misfires. Not cleared the faults, and not got the engine light on.

Oh, and I now know what the MAF is ;)

thats why my cold air feed isnt attached to the filter, to prevent water ingestion :D

Good thinking. So you still have the air feed, but keep say a 1" gap from the air feed pipe top the air filter ;)

Might try that myself, or just avoid puddles in future :D

ian_cupra

avoiding puddles is good, but yeah got about 1" gap between them

get the misfires cleared and run it for a while and check again after a few hundred miles

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.