My key fob has stopped working properly

Dyna-Mikee

Sep 23, 2004
OK, I'm ready to be laughed at.

My key fob has stopped working properly. Unless I get right up to the sensor, I can't lock or unlock the doors.

First instinct is that the battery needs replacing, that's why the range is so greatly reduced. But I've only had the car for two years. I've never known a fob battery go so quickly.

After all the other little problems I've had, I can't help thinking it's something more serious.

So can anyone reassure me that I just need a new battery, or is there some other common fault I should know about?

Second part of the question - how do you change the battery in the key fob? I had a play with it last night but with no success. I reckon there mut be a screw or something under the Seat badge, but I don't want to go prying that off unless I'm sure.

andycupra

status subject to change
sure its the battery.

2 years... id say thats fairly common. key fobs send more info now than they used to, and like you say the range was good, which would need a fairly powerfull signal. relatively speaking.

Also you never know if you have pressed the button accidentally while in your pocket for example?

18 months on my old car although with a different alarm.

paul26982

seem a pain in the arse to get the bit off the key, i gave up one day

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Mine packed up after about two years - the range went really short just like you describe.

Luckily it was in for a service that very day - the dealer changed the battery in the key fob, but it made it no better so they swapped the key fob under warranty.

I think he said if the red light on the key fob flashes when you press the button, the battery's fine.

wallsy77

Jun 4, 2006
There is an infobase within the knowledge base on how to change the battery on the key fobs both old style key and newer flip key.

Important note is that inside the key is a small glass tube which holds the code for the imobiliser and its about the size of a grain of rice. Very easy to lose so take note.

Dyna-Mikee

Sep 23, 2004
Oh dear - the red light does still flash when I press a button.

Perhaps I'll take it to the nearest stealer this afternoon if I get chance.

I'd rather someone else runs the risk of losing the little glass bit!

Thanks for your help as always guys

Dyna-Mikee

Sep 23, 2004
Update - Well, it wasn't the battery. Changing it didn't make any difference.

Just had a new fob under warranty. Only took half an hour to program it (and the spare key and the car) with a new code and everything is hunky dory now.

DarrenJ

Seat like you mean it!
Dec 3, 2008
Galway, Ireland
Hi! I presume you can't simply fit in a watch battery into the fob when the time comes to replace the battery? Is it a case of going to a dealer and having them replace the battery or can I do it myself?

thanks.

DarrenJ

Seat like you mean it!
Dec 3, 2008
Galway, Ireland
So you can buy a battery and put it in without having to be ripped off by the dealer?! I was thinking that you'd have to buy one from a dealers and that it would be a certain shape etc to make sure you can't go anywhere else. It's great if you can actually replace it yourself.

Thanks!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise