My LCR Since '05 with Static+ Front Air Lift - Project Gone to a New Home.

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Thanks for the suggestions guys. All appreciated and looked in to ;) I'll reveal my 2-piece brake disc choices... Once I can find the ones I want [:@] The trick is finding matching discs which can accept the LCR bells... Ggrrr... I will be going 356 mm up front and 310 mm at the rear for definite. Part of the reason for going 2-piece is to give aesthetic detail so I'm not too keen on using Compbrake but that might be my only real option. ECS is definitely out. They won't budge on selling me the discs. The Forge discs are sexual but I can't source rears to match. This is frustrating work... But a bit fun :D

Doing some reading on R32OC, I managed to find a contact who could make some top quality caliper adapters which actually fit, unlike the mixed (poor) reviews for the Creation Motorsport's ones- Lee Morris - what a nice guy. He sold me one of his prototype sets of adapters which will allow use of either 334 mm or 356 mm for a very reasonable price. These are so hard to get hold of so I've struck gold on this one :D they should be here tomorrow.

I've now received everything else to do the caliper refurb... New dust and fluid seals, new Brembo SS bleed nipples and caps, Hel 57 cm VW to Porsche SS brake lines, transfers and Brembo LCF 600+ fluid.

I today tried to work out how I could DIY soda blast the paint off the calipers using my compressor and spray gun, but it didn't work as it was shown on the net. I can at this point either send them to the guy that did my strut braces, buy some paste stripper or sand them down, before painting them myself in 2k.

It's good to have a project again... :D

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
As said above Maz, I think Compbrake are my likely choice. I've heard good things about them but the bells are a bit dull looking... Fickle I know :rolleyes:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Bells can be detached and painted though James. Get functionality before looks, looks can be sorted out later as you well know. As you dont drive her everyday it gives you time to sort that too.

The brembo breaks you got for the front, what car are they from? Can you not get matching rears?

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Bells can be detached and painted though James. Get functionality before looks, looks can be sorted out later as you well know. As you dont drive her everyday it gives you time to sort that too.

The brembo breaks you got for the front, what car are they from? Can you not get matching rears?

Porsche Cayenne 6 pots. Yes, you can get matching rears but unfortunately the servo wouldn't be up to the job; it can create a rather spongy peddle if overloaded. The research says stick with the single piston and go with a slightly bigger disc.

I'm not bothered about the paint finish of the bells. It's about the bolts and their placement on the discs. I want a 12 bolt fitment rather than the 8 or 10 which seems to more common on the LCR bells. A bit of a minefield Maz, but you're right, I can take my time.

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I am very much aware cause I went though same process with my old Leon and was waiting on comp brake to book car in to get it all done. Never happened unfortunately.

Get bolts in black then no-one will ever notice lol! What I am trying to say is put money into more useful jobs. :)

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
I am very much aware cause I went though same process with my old Leon and was waiting on comp brake to book car in to get it all done. Never happened unfortunately.

Get bolts in black then no-one will ever notice lol! What I am trying to say is put money into more useful jobs. :)

But this is what I like... The devil is in the detail... I'll keep looking for 'the ones' :)

drka-drka

New Schooler
Cracking choice on brakes mate, same as me. Had mine for months now and still not fitted them, using up my LCR pads and discs 1st.

Same position as me, I'm unsure on wheather to get R32 discs or two piece. K-sport are another choice. Iv sent them a email seeing if you can buy just dics (awaiting a reply)

f1d160d8f91ba63e9d966f9d337d2f4e.jpg

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Cracking choice on brakes mate, same as me. Had mine for months now and still not fitted them, using up my LCR pads and discs 1st.

Same position as me, I'm unsure on wheather to get R32 discs or two piece. K-sport are another choice. Iv sent them a email seeing if you can buy just dics (awaiting a reply)

f1d160d8f91ba63e9d966f9d337d2f4e.jpg

Mate, discs seem to be all that I can think about ATM, and it's driving me mad! I love love love the ECS discs; I've pleaded with them to sell their discs separately from the kit but they're being quite resistive, so it's put me off them. I'm sold on their ECS Rear Stage 1 kit (306 mm x 22 mm). So the hunt has been on to find something that would match the bells and drilled and grooved finish.

I've tried PB Brakes, which do awesome discs but they won't sell them seperately from their kit either. I'm not a fan of CompBrake. I've spoken with AP Racing today, who can do me the rotors but they haven't got any bells for he LCR, so I would have to use their contact in Redditch to c.ommission a pair... Nightmare. So I'm back to K-Sports/Forge/Apexi/D2 - they all seem to use the same discs/bells. Forge do the discs/bells for £590, whilst K-Sportvdo the discs without the bells for £369.

I'm phoning Forge in the morning as I've seen them use a drilled and grooved rotor, and if they can sell me them, I'm having them. Reason being is that they are an identicle match for the ECS Rear kit. I'm going 356 mm up front. Don't sell out for he 345 mm 1 piece Derek, these brakes are too special!

I'm hoping tomorrow will be a fruitful day... :D

drka-drka

New Schooler
Mate, discs seem to be all that I can think about ATM, and it's driving me mad! I love love love the ECS discs; I've pleaded with them to sell their discs separately from the kit but they're being quite resistive, so it's put me off them. I'm sold on their ECS Rear Stage 1 kit (306 mm x 22 mm). So the hunt has been on to find something that would match the bells and drilled and grooved finish.

I've tried PB Brakes, which do awesome discs but they won't sell them seperately from their kit either. I'm not a fan of CompBrake. I've spoken with AP Racing today, who can do me the rotors but they haven't got any bells for he LCR, so I would have to use their contact in Redditch to c.ommission a pair... Nightmare. So I'm back to K-Sports/Forge/Apexi/D2 - they all seem to use the same discs/bells. Forge do the discs/bells for £590, whilst K-Sportvdo the discs without the bells for £369.

I'm phoning Forge in the morning as I've seen them use a drilled and grooved rotor, and if they can sell me them, I'm having them. Reason being is that they are an identicle match for the ECS Rear kit. I'm going 356 mm up front. Don't sell out for he 345 mm 1 piece Derek, these brakes are too special!

I'm hoping tomorrow will be a fruitful day... :D

Yeah I know this, I feel bad especially since I got everything brand new and freshly painted feel bad skimping on discs. Just trying to find some is a pain in the arse. The compbrake seems pretty easy to me and seems like a decent price, I'm not fussed about trying to match the rears as I'm probly getting OEM again when I fit my centring plates this winter

Keep me in the know how you get on with the other company's. :rofl:

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Went with Forge 356 mm 2 piece discs...

Well, after speaking with Forge today, they informed me that they no longer stock the drilled and grooved variants of their discs as under hard braking they tend to crack; we knew that this was a common fault. I spoke with Shaun about their bells, which they make in house to fit. Long story short, I've bought a pair of grooved 2-piece discs with bells, costing £599.50 all in. They come balanced so there should be no issues. Shaun seems to think that they will sit ok with the Porsche calipers, but if not I might just need to shim between the hub and disc slightly. They're with UPS and should be with me tomorrow :)

I've sunk about £1k into the front brake set up, but I hope it'll be perfect for me. On to the search for the rears now... With everything together and everything refurbed and painted, I'll look to fit them in the spring once I have some time available. I'll put some pictures up once my discs have arrived :D

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
James you coming to AMD RR?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I wasn't aware that there was one coming up Maz, but I probably won't be able to get over.

Nice purchase James :)

Now to book some track time :p

Cheers Tom. 6 pots are something that I've wanted for a while now so I'm chuffed I've been able to buy the bits. Mate, you know me better than to think that I'd track my car :D hope you're well buddy?

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Haha I don't expect you to track it really :)

I'm well cheers mate, few bits to sort on the car but nothing major. Glad you're keeping this project going with tasty updates :D

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Well, my 356 mm x 32 mm 2-piece discs arrived from Forge today.

null_zps2bb0ce8f.jpg

null_zpsfa13dbd2.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of them really - a bit underwhelmed! You'd think I'd be pleased. I'm sure they're functional... Not sure what I want!!! I'm gonna sit on them for a day or two and maybe continue the search. I'm being very fussy I know... :confused:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I am not sure what you were expecting? When my ATE brakes first came for the Leon I was underwhelmed a little too. Then when you change the brakes over and you compare how small your current disc is compared to it, size of the pots, discs width, lightness etc...you will fall in love with them more. It will always be function over form.

Even my porker with 380mm discs, the discs are not what catch the eye, its the calipers. Regardless of the look when you do your first big emergency style brake - you will realise [not saying you dont already] how important the other parts of the suspension and setup are to making a balance car :)

you will have fun with them. Just make sure you get the right brake pad!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise