My Leon FR is finally gone - read my 'end of term' review

MrHooky

Thought I’d give an ‘end of term’ write up now that my ‘57’ plate Candy White Leon FR TDI is going back to the leasing company after two years of ownership.

Alows me to give my thoughts as well as consideration to anybody who is thinking of getting one.

Firstly, reason for getting the car. With the arrival of my son in April 2008 I needed a car which was practical/reliable and also a bit of fun. Being 24 at the time I also didn’t want to be stung on insurance and fancied a diesel due to benefits of performance vs. economy/running costs. The Leon has been great as a family car. Five doors (love the rear hidden door handles which have fooled many passengers) and a decent boot size too. Much bigger in the back than my fathers Octavia too. Rear leg room is actually really quite impressive and must be close to class leading.

As for the looks of the car. I still love how it looks now. I can say this unbiased (as getting rid of it!), I actually prefer the look of the pre facelift to the post. I know the majority of people can’t tell, but I don’t like the revised ‘squarer’ front grille, rear lights and tailgate glass extension that the newer cars have. I would choose the newer mirrors actually, as the ones on my prefacelift are a bit small personally. I chose the candy white which I think was a great choice. It highlights the rear bumper black plastic which marks it out from the lesser model, and with the few mods I did help make the car look sporty. More and more people buying white cars now given they are the latest craze, so I was pleased I was an earlier trend setter! The few mods I did extended to the replacement of grille with a cupra item and changing the mirror caps. If the car wasn’t leased I would have changed more. Which probably would have involved lowering, as the car rides too high in my opinion, a 25mm drop would still look OEM but at least make the 18s (only option I chose) fill the arches better. I would have also looked into having the front number plate recess vinyl coated in black along with the roof. Perhaps the Cupra rear spoiler too, plus powder coated the wheels black. I just think the Leon is one of the few cars that black wheels and decals looks good on as they are OEM options. Personally for all other cars they look a bit ‘chavvy’. As the latter mods were harder to reverse and would have been money wasted I didn’t bother. A remap would have also been high on the list.

Driving wise it has also been a good car. Not as quick as my previous motor which was a Megane 225, plus never had the same shove as my Ibiza FR TDI which was remapped to c.170bhp. The 2.0 TDI was a more refined unit which somehow didn’t give the same turbo lag feel of the Ibiza which I enjoyed! Refinement was very good on the motorways. 100mph an effortless cruise. Never tried to V max it really although did get 135mph quite comfortably on the M6 toll. Only gripe is that it is a very ‘crashy’ ride. Although firm, which is what you expect, I don’t think it is well damped, and so you feel a lot of the bumps. Corners reasonably well, although not as well as the Megane I owned. Economy was good. Again not as good as the Ibiza which I find bizarre for a newer engine. I know the Ibiza smaller but not massively lighter. Was probably getting high 30s on my 12mile run into town, with very early 40s on long motorway jaunts. I normally do 90-100 on the motorways when it’s clear. Don’t mean to speed it’s just the engine is still idling at that speed and is a very quiet cruiser.

Interior is nice and has grown on me. I like the soft touch dash although too much flat plastic with the stereo and heating controls. Although VAG it’s clearly lower class than the golf and A3 (and perhaps even the Skodas!?). Still a nice car though and well specced. Cruise and dual climate are welcome niceties. Seats very comfy and supportive too, were always very comfortable for the long journeys.

Shame it looks so much nicer from the outside than the inside really. In my opinion there is no better looking warm/hot hatch on the market. I would enjoy having a cupra for a short while although given it’s almost identical on the inside I would get bored of it. I do think it looks a smart car in white and the right side of boy racer for me.

Only real niggle I had was after the 10k service the garage left three bolts out of the under engine plastic guard which rattled above 80mph. very annoying and took about 6k/8 months to figure it out. Not best pleased when I knew what it was…!

Hope the above helps someone in either making their mind up about whether to get one, or some people just share my opinion. Enjoyed getting my thoughts off my chest anyway!

You may be wondering what I’ve bought in replacement. Well my wife has just got a new Audi A5 Sport which is very nice. I have bought myself an TT MKI 3.2 with the DSG box, much quicker than my Leon, plus fancied something with more than four cylinders. Clearly a Cupra would have been affordable but having the same car twice is boring. Not a Seat anymore but enjoyed the Leon and the two years I had with my Ibiza.

Last edited by a moderator:

Millbo

Sep 24, 2009
Northern Ireland
yea i find the car great overall aswell. only difference is i wil be getting all the mods you wanted done to mine as i own it so in the end will probably be more happy with the FR, nice thread tho :D i take it youll never be back to seat then?

Poverty

mmmm a5 sport are nice as is the mk1 TT. I agree that having the same car is boring!

MrHooky

yea i find the car great overall aswell. only difference is i wil be getting all the mods you wanted done to mine as i own it so in the end will probably be more happy with the FR, nice thread tho :D i take it youll never be back to seat then?

Thing is I would actually have a Seat again, it's more the fact that I've had two now for four years in total, and fancied a change. Must admit the A5 is a class act inside - full leather and a classy dash makes it feel a lot more special. Even my 2004 TT feels leaps and bounds ahead in terms of quality, but you would expect that given it was once a £31k car when new!

I'm not very good at keeping cars too long, two years was a push, only managed it due to being a leased car! I do like the idea of the new Cupra R although purely for the performance. I read the review in Evo and the performance looks impressive, although given can only buy new it would be more than I wanted to spend on a second car.

I dare say in 12 months when I'm bored of the TT I may look at a used one though - so not ruled out for definite!

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Agree 100% with the look of the pre face light model. Sadly the new model FR has lost it's aggressive look IMO. A big reason why I won't be getting another when I change mine in June

Dude

1st UK MK2 LCR on here
Dec 10, 2009
I'm going the other way, i currently have a MKII TT 3.2 DSG and have put a holding deposit down down for LCR for when they finally release it. I need something more practical and that does a little more than 18mpg :cry:

MrHooky

Agree with you Moley. Like your car too. Think the black mods suit the red cars in my opinion.

New dude - why are you only getting 18mpg out of your 3.2!? Mine is averaging mid 20s at moment. On a jaunt down South before Xmas I averaged 30mpg which isn't bad for a thirsty V6! I can see why you've gone the other way though from a power point of view, I read Evo last month and they got the Cupra R on the dyno and it was pushing 270bhp I think, however, I think you may miss the interior of the MKII, it's a very nice place to sit - a friend of mine has a 2.0TFSI which is a nice car. Externallly lost the charm of the later MKI V6 and Quattro Sport looks though for me - although that is me being biased!

Dude

1st UK MK2 LCR on here
Dec 10, 2009
Agree with you Moley. Like your car too. Think the black mods suit the red cars in my opinion.

New dude - why are you only getting 18mpg out of your 3.2!? Mine is averaging mid 20s at moment. On a jaunt down South before Xmas I averaged 30mpg which isn't bad for a thirsty V6! I can see why you've gone the other way though from a power point of view, I read Evo last month and they got the Cupra R on the dyno and it was pushing 270bhp I think, however, I think you may miss the interior of the MKII, it's a very nice place to sit - a friend of mine has a 2.0TFSI which is a nice car. Externallly lost the charm of the later MKI V6 and Quattro Sport looks though for me - although that is me being biased!

I agree the interior is very nice, and it will be missed. Around town i get 18mpg on a run around mid 20's. I do boot it quite a bit so that will have something to do with it. I've never seen 30mpg! even when driving like a nun.
I wish i'd gone for the TTS, but that was not out when i ordered....still not complaining.
Did see the report on the LCR in EVO and can't wait, although i think i'll miss the 4 wheel drive when nailing it from the off.
The Leon is a totally different type of car, and will bring different driving thrills..especially with one or two mods:D
Good luck with the TT, your enjoy it no end, it's a great car.

Poverty

once you map the LCR you will forget all about the 3.2 ;)

except for maybe the noise lol

MrHooky

once you map the LCR you will forget all about the 3.2 ;)

except for maybe the noise lol

Agreed that once remapped he'll have a Leon pushing out over 300bhp and hoping that they've sorted the exhaust note out it should sound half descent. However, even with that bhp I don't think it will be much quicker than the 3.2 to 60 (which I think is low 6s) as you're on the limit of what should be going through the front wheels. Allbeit that clever electronic diff might help a bit. Can't beat the quattro for getting away quickly, and seeing as the majority of my driving is to work in Birmingham through traffic, it's much more fun for me than the Leon.

That said though - and I didn't put in my review, one thing I didn't like about the Leon, and this is TDI specific, is how short 1st and 2nd are. I know diesels don't like the rev, but I've driven the same engine in a Q5 and it seemed even more petrol like in that you could hold onto the gears a bit longer. Just me nit picking but it meant 0-60 dashes not much fun, as it was better at more of the 30-70 stuff…

Question on the LCR. Can you (and if so are you) getting it with DSG? That would be a nice option for me as currently loving the DSG.

Noted points on TTS too. They look and sound very nice. Not much more than a specced 3.2 either. Makes me think the TTRS will be a rare sight on the roads as unless you have your heart set on that clever 5 pot engine why wouldn't you just get a remapped TTS and save yourself £10k. Perhaps a remapped one of those next on my list, although depending on whether I have to get the family wagon, might mean I get an RS4 (wouldn't be a bad choice!) if I can afford one!

Poverty

Agreed that once remapped he'll have a Leon pushing out over 300bhp and hoping that they've sorted the exhaust note out it should sound half descent. However, even with that bhp I don't think it will be much quicker than the 3.2 to 60 (which I think is low 6s) as you're on the limit of what should be going through the front wheels. Allbeit that clever electronic diff might help a bit. Can't beat the quattro for getting away quickly, and seeing as the majority of my driving is to work in Birmingham through traffic, it's much more fun for me than the Leon.

That said though - and I didn't put in my review, one thing I didn't like about the Leon, and this is TDI specific, is how short 1st and 2nd are. I know diesels don't like the rev, but I've driven the same engine in a Q5 and it seemed even more petrol like in that you could hold onto the gears a bit longer. Just me nit picking but it meant 0-60 dashes not much fun, as it was better at more of the 30-70 stuff…

Question on the LCR. Can you (and if so are you) getting it with DSG? That would be a nice option for me as currently loving the DSG.

Noted points on TTS too. They look and sound very nice. Not much more than a specced 3.2 either. Makes me think the TTRS will be a rare sight on the roads as unless you have your heart set on that clever 5 pot engine why wouldn't you just get a remapped TTS and save yourself £10k. Perhaps a remapped one of those next on my list, although depending on whether I have to get the family wagon, might mean I get an RS4 (wouldn't be a bad choice!) if I can afford one!

The new S4 is really good, 420hp after remap and pulley upgrade. DSG is still not a option for the leon apparently [:@]

TTS is a very nice car, TTRS also, albeit not as special as RS cars of the past imo. Im gonna get a TTRS just for the 5 pot after the summer :)

Dude

1st UK MK2 LCR on here
Dec 10, 2009
Don’t think DSG is being offered with LCR, I don’t want one with the new car as it may limit tuning possibilities. I know they do new controllers for DSG box and haldex system which I’ve seen on TT’s & Golf’s
There is only so much that can be done with naturally aspirated without some serious £££..
Had been looking on the forum for few months before joining. Everyone raves about performance gains that can be had with a few mods, that was partly the reason why I’m going for a LCR. Not finalised a total price yet as the dealer could only estimate, so I could be in for a long wait.
Only seen one TTRS, ( stationary so no noise ) Bet it sounds proper though.

MrHooky

Good point on the S4. Fair to say most new 'S' models of Audi are highly desirable as look nice, nice to sit in, and as moving towards turbo charged fast version, they are also highly tuneable. I knew I was buying an engine which was limited by aftermarket tuning in going for the 3.2 TT. I could have got a 225 and tuned to be quicker than the V6 although it wasn't what I wanted this time - I didn't want another turbocharged engine as I've never owned a car with more than 4 cylinders! I also looked at the last of the old shape S4 with the 4.2 V8 which would have been even quicker but didn't fancy fuel and insurance hike over TT. Also don't think a particularly 'special' looking car. Majority of people will just think it's a rep mobile.

I know what you mean about wanting to avoid problems with getting a DSG box. I think your S-tronic is more robust than the earlier DSGs which my car is fitted with (same box though still I just different Audi branding!). Think if I was going to tune then manual would be the safer option.

What is the list price on the new Cupra Rs? £24k ish? Can you haggle anymore given they aren't out yet or do the dealers expect you to pay list with your keenness!?

Poverty

there is now a DSG/S TRONIC clutch upgrade available. It costs 1200 usd.

Dude

1st UK MK2 LCR on here
Dec 10, 2009
Whatever the final price may be the dealer was not prepared to move (they estimated between £22,500 – 24k, no options) although I did get a few things thrown in to sweeten the sale for when it finally happens. They recon it’s a limited run, how true this is I don’t know..maybe just a sale ploy.. :think:
DSG clutch upgrade for 1200usd seems a little steep, can’t be cheap to install either.

Sorry way of topic now from your original review!

MrHooky

No worries going off topic - genuinely interested especially seeing as you're getting rid of a car similar to what I have just bought. Perhaps if a limited run then it may help keep the residuals up. What colour are you going for and when do you expect to receive it? Horrible having to wait ages for a car. My wife's A5 was ordered early October and got here late December - I thought that was a ridiculous wait!

Going even more off topic - Guy I work with had a deposit down for a Focus RS a while back. Bough an RS4 (new shape) in the interim thinking he wouldn't loose too much value so could sell once he needed to pay for the Focus. Ended up liking the RS4 too much so kept it and Ford gave him a full refund of the deposit. I'm guessing they probably had someone to step straight into his shoes in the waiting line. Infact he could have probably sold his place in the queue thinking about it. Hoping he lets me 'borrow' his RS4 for a quick spin. The noise they make is incredible! Lovely car…

Dude

1st UK MK2 LCR on here
Dec 10, 2009
After much consideration I will be going for speed blue, with a few options unless they are included, as the UK spec is still a bit of a mystery, apart from the obvious which is well publicised.
I first enquired about the LCR around the middle of last year, but the dealer was not really interested.

At the end of the November I put a deposit down with the proviso it may be delivered around April. The dealer said they will call me at some stage this month hopefully with a final figure for the car and the options I want, even though I have a copy of the order. They did say it’s subject to change once they get confirmation of prices.
I’m hopeful it wont be longer than the end of April, but with no confirmed price I have to pay or release date, who knows.
Hopefully not as long as the TT, which took 9 months! – I also ordered 6months before it came out, but still took 9 months, something about dealer allocation or some bull they gave me.

Also looked at a 2nd hand RS4 estate. Awesome but I’d be scared if something went wrong on that 4.2 nutter. I can’t help but like the Leon shape though.
A pal of mine has a MKI Focus RS with a few mods, and it’s quicker than mine when he can get the power down. The new RS screams want some…..

MrHooky

Also looked at a 2nd hand RS4 estate.

Like the idea of the Avant personally too. Almost Q car appeal the fact it's an estate/mumsy wagon! Agree with you on the shape of the Leon too. Just took last drive in to work in it today. Looking nice in it's white paintwork which has not long been cleaned. I do think it's a good looking hatchback and has been very practical. I still don't think it's that nice inside, with too much scratchy plastic on the doors for me although I know they made a few revisions with the face-lift (not sure if that extended to the door panels. Leather would probably lift the whole interior as it does with any car I guess. What does the LCR get - Alcantara could be nice on the seats I reckon! Also the stereo in my Leon is not the best. Bit too tinny and lacking bass - I think the 2004 Ibiza had a better stereo for me. The A5 unit is a ten speaker affair with a sub built into the parcel shelf. Argaubly as good as the Bose on my TT. Would love to hear how good the B&O units are in current Audis. Either way I'd opt for a better stereo if there was a choice on the LCR!

Like the look of that blue, looks a bit lighter than the Audi Sprint Blue (which I also like). Wasn't so keen on the green one they had in Evo. Like the Orange too (which I presume is the same as the Audi Solar Orange!?).

9 months - crikey I thought we were being impatient with the A5! I think I'd have given up and bought another car!

Last edited by a moderator:

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby

Q5 along with the FL Leon has the newer CR lump which as you say revs better and is more responsive especially lower down. The FR had the older Pump Duse lump.