My modified airbox!... (56k warning!) NOW with log results!...

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Feel said:
That's the thing, yep. I'm surprised too, I'd have thought they were all the same.

Wonder what it's for :confused:

I don't think it's worth adding a second feed either (like you say, loss of pressure, where would you take the feed from).

I actually noticed there was a small hole, drill size (about 8mm) that is in one of the corners of the bottom half of my airbox! :blink:

has yours got this phil? :confused:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Yep, I assume it's a water drain hole (do wonder about blocking it up to hold more pressure) but it's also useful for screwing the airbox down to the workbench when smoothing it out!

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
lol... no worries! i wouldnt have bothered anyway!

the lower box is easy compared to the top one!

tools required to smooth air box... wire cutter pliers, normal pliers, dremel, electric sander, sand paper.

make lots, and i mean lots, of small cuts (using the wire cutter pliers) in the plastic bits thats are gonna be removed/smoothed... about a cut every 7mm!

then use the normal pliers to rip the plastic bits off! then use the dremel to smooth the bits u couldnt remove with the pliers (the square joints etc) and then use an electric sanda, yes mine just fit! to sand the main part... this saves a hell of a lot of time!

then use sandpaper and the dremel in areas the electric sanda couldnt get in!

took me about 3hrs in total i gues just to do the top part of the box!

it needs lots of love and care! :whistle:

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
Just done the same to my car, but didn't need to relocate the battery to do it.
i appear to have used the same pipe (a/c ducting) that DPJ used, & i think i have routed it to the same place, just going to the void that the R bumper creates after the grill.
i was a little worried about the foglamp intake as i thought it a little to low!

does anyone know of a reason it wont work out of direct air flow?

getting nervous now as it won't be finished (in the paint shop) until Saturday.
:cheers:

nick radwell

not that new
Nov 12, 2004
aylesbury
i was also wondering about the stealth look but with a cylindrical cotton filter housed inside the standard airbox (airbox used as heat shield) and the side of the airbox opened up and the feed pipe fixed there feeding cold air to the box and filter!
or would this cause some kind of vacuum effect or similar that might impede airflow

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
cupra R con said:
Just done the same to my car, but didn't need to relocate the battery to do it.
i appear to have used the same pipe (a/c ducting) that DPJ used, & i think i have routed it to the same place, just going to the void that the R bumper creates after the grill.
i was a little worried about the foglamp intake as i thought it a little to low!

does anyone know of a reason it wont work out of direct air flow?

getting nervous now as it won't be finished (in the paint shop) until Saturday.

should work fine matey! good luck!

and let us know how it goes!

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
nick radwell said:
i was also wondering about the stealth look but with a cylindrical cotton filter housed inside the standard airbox (airbox used as heat shield) and the side of the airbox opened up and the feed pipe fixed there feeding cold air to the box and filter!
or would this cause some kind of vacuum effect or similar that might impede airflow

i thought of that!

should work fine if done well! if you think about it, thats how all enclosed induction kits are (dynatwists, ram air, BMC etc) its just in theory ur idea should alow for more air to be sucked in... or it will allow for the air to circulate more! but what about these "pressure issues"?! i dont know lol.

to be honest tho, you may aswell do what i have done, because at the end of the day, will it suck in any more cold air? if not, its not worth it! ;)

james :)

Last edited:

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
J@mes said:
should work fine matey! good luck!

and let us know how it goes!
i checked the posts & my pipe will not go as low as his, but having read a bit more i think just having it away from the engine bay will help.

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
as for mine...

i have been so busy! i may or maynot get time to do some more vag com logging 2mo!

but i will get it done soonish! ;)

and then il put up the graphs so u lot can see the difference my modded box has made! :D

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
cupra R con said:
i checked the posts & my pipe will not go as low as his, but having read a bit more i think just having it away from the engine bay will help.

y not have the air feed positioned like mine?!

maybe keep the standard scoop in place, but cut a bit out of it, so that you can wedge the cold air feed into it... if you see what i mean?! :confused:

the reason i have my air feed where it is, is cos... a. thats were the standard feed is! and b. im waiting for a LCR touring car style air scoop to be made, meanin il just have to cut my feed so its shorter and than attached it to the scoop!

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
J@mes said:
y not have the air feed positioned like mine?!

maybe keep the standard scoop in place, but cut a bit out of it, so that you can wedge the cold air feed into it... if you see what i mean?! :confused:

the reason i have my air feed where it is, is cos... a. thats were the standard feed is! and b. im waiting for a LCR touring car style air scoop to be made, meanin il just have to cut my feed so its shorter and than attached it to the scoop!
looks good, but i was wondering about the small amount of pipe that actually get direct air flow?
where i have put it i reckon i should be able to pull more air.
i am probably wrong though.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
There is a theory (I have absolutely not data on it in practice though) that a forward facing air feed, in the right point at the front of the car will generate an amount of positive pressure in the airbox.

Positive pressure in the airbox is a good thing because it mean that the turbo/engine doesn't have to suck as much...

Someone went all Carol Vorderman and posted formulae somewhere...

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
cupra R con said:
looks good, but i was wondering about the small amount of pipe that actually get direct air flow?
where i have put it i reckon i should be able to pull more air.
i am probably wrong though.

i know wat you mean, but i know it sucks in more cold air than the standard airbox... il have proof as soon as i get my ass into gear and do some more logging!

any day now!!!

do you have vag com? be interesting if you logged yours to get a comparison!

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Feel said:
There is a theory (I have absolutely not data on it in practice though) that a forward facing air feed, in the right point at the front of the car will generate an amount of positive pressure in the airbox.

Positive pressure in the airbox is a good thing because it mean that the turbo/engine doesn't have to suck as much...

yea phil... i remember readin that too!

but as said... as soon as i pull my finger out il do some more loggin! :rolleyes: ;)

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
Feel said:

yup saw that & fell asleep ;)
i had a 70mm pipe to the foglight & constantly worried about it, especially as the camber of our roads put the puddles in the wrong place :(
i think I'll just suck it & see, my car needs another map anyhow.

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
J@mes said:
i know wat you mean, but i know it sucks in more cold air than the standard airbox... il have proof as soon as i get my ass into gear and do some more logging!

any day now!!!

do you have vag com? be interesting if you logged yours to get a comparison!

soz, no vag-com.
but-dyno is pretty good tho ;)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
yea true!

but iv done a standard run with my car, so i guess urs should be the same! and then if u did a logg after ur air box mod, u could compare, would give you a good rough idea of how much more its sucking!

but then again if ur chipped, its would be a unfair test! and worthless really! lol unless u got hold of the standard airflow on a chipped LCR!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.