My new car - 2003 Seat Leon CupraR (Platinum)

Nick G

Morning all,

Well I've just been out and purchased this car from Aylesbury having sold my BMW 330i Touring the night before. (Some of you may know it, or the original owner may even be on here, it did have a private plate of M16 TTY I believe)?

A CupraR is a car I've always loved, ever since I was chased down the road by one in my EvoVI at the time (Around 2004) I couldn't believe this little black Seat was still so close to me having given it a boot full. I quickly realised there was more to it and basically kept an eye on them ever since. Over the years with a house purchase, trying to run sensible cars and then the addition of two lovely Children our circumstances just never quite allowed me to have one but luckily things have changed and I was finally able to convince the Mrs that it was a good option.

We had a lovely 2008 Leon FR for 3 years but sold it to fund the last house move so went down to one car for a while and I was always hoping I may be able to get a Leon as my Toy but I had to run an Estate car due to being a Car Detailer however now I've got my own Unit I no longer need to do so much mobile stuff so I've finally got my hands on one!

The Car is a 2003 (53) Platinum 210bhp R with 54k miles, 2 prev owners and also has a Bailey dump valve with a Revo Remap - all receipts to prove which was nice to see.

Here's a few pics from the advert.

I've got a fairly lengthy list of jobs to get done, in order of importance:

• Cambelt & Waterpump change - DONE
  • Full service with new plugs, filters, oil, coolant, brake fluid etc. - DONE
  • 4 Wheel laser alignment and adjust
  • Sort out the faded calipers and paint the hubs, disc edges
  • Get a new centre cap for one of the wheels
  • Polish out a stain in the windscreen where some dirty water was dripping on it in a car park for 2-3 weeks.
  • Wet sand a re-polish a few areas on the car that have some hazing, possible small smart repair.
  • Get a the Dent guy out to sort out numerous small dings down both sides
  • Proper 3 day ultimate detail covering the exterior, interior & engine bay finishing with Cquartz Finest paint sealant (Authorised detailers only) with 2 year warranty
  • New badges all round
  • Wheel refurb
  • Lowering by 20-30mm, probably Eibach sportline (I had these on a Mk2 Octavia VRS and they were fantastic).
Little jobs I'd like to do over time

LED Lighting interior - DONE
Xenon / HID Headlight upgrade of some sort (no idea what the options are yet)
After market headunit to remove the old looking tape deck
R32 steering wheel upgrade
Wrap / Dip a few bits and pieces just to make it a bit different.

That's about it so far, loads to get on and do but I'm really looking forward to getting it looking factory fresh (or better)!

Last edited:

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
This is 100% going to end up being a very very clean LCR, Nick is a bit of and expert with the ole polishing cloth.

Nick G

Been a busy few weeks here!! I'll get some pics up soon but so far the car has had:

Mods
Pipercross Induction Kit (Thanks to TurboBoy Robbie for fitting)
S2000 Aerial fitted (Thanks to TurboBoy)
LED Interior lights, Number plate bulbs (Thanks to TurboBoy)
LED sidelights (Thanks to Jairm)

Mechanically it's had the following changed (All genuine VW items)

Cambelt, Aux belt and Water pump
Pollen Filter
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs
Oil & Filter
New ESP Switch
Wiper blades

Now have the full Caliper rebuild kit too so want to strip them down and clean them up, re paint and lacquer with new decals, new bolts.

Goodridge hoses now with me ready to be fitted when we do the calipers and put new fluid in.

Also next thing on the list is to redo all the Vacuum hosing as Robbie (TurboBoy) spotted a few errors in the way it's been set-up and just generally needs tidying. I bought 5M of 3mm RamAir Vac hosing and a load of new connectors and stuff so that will be good.

Deleted member 12147

Nice little project you got going on there. It's a low miler for it's age as well my 03 is on 76k ATM but it has had an engine rebuild.

Keep the pics comin.

Nick G

Here's a few pics from the recent big service that was carried out:

Just a few VW parts

A few during pics

(Don't worry, Calipers are high on the list to sort)

Fuel Filter

Old water pump with a couple of missing blades!

Belt off

Old belt condition, not massively bad but definitely needed changing

Tensioner

Nice spanking new Cambelt all in place

Nick G

Small update, with some (a lot) of help from Robbie (TurboBoy) we have now got Red brakes again!!

Started off:

Face on

Wheels off

Old brake lines

Other side

Cleaning up with Meguiars De-Greaser and APC

Cleaned up and rubbing down

Painted black to start with mainly for the hubs

Goodridge Lines to go on at the same time

These were a pain as they don't fit in the original brackets so it had to be drilled out by quite a bit too

(Don't you just love after market parts and their inability to EVER fit as they should)!

Masked up for painting Red

Back in the unit so not such clear pics without flash on but looking much better

New Brembo stickers to go on yet then we'll probably give them a coat of Lacquer or 2 to help maintain the look.

New Brake fluid in too

Getting there slowly...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members