N239 or Inlet Manifold Changeover Flap Valve

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
Also known as the Anti Shudder Valve.

My car is a 2004 Leon Cupra TDI PD150 with 109K miles on the clock. Basically, my shut-off valve is sticking and is stuggling to re-open after engine switch off. I have had a look and can see the vacuum actuator working, just the quarter turn arm, bracket bit is sticking open. Now I assume that is due to it being a bit mucky inside the valve because of the EGR system and oil. I had a quick fiddle and could feel it sticking when fully open, it'll hold itself there after the actuator has returned to open position for a few seconds before it snaps back to the open position itself.

I only found out it was playing up last night when I parked up my car, got back into it 5-10 mins later, the car would start then instantly cut out again. After that it sounded like the cam belt had snapped as there was no compression. After a few more attempts of the same thing, I thought I'd better have a look and at that point I heard the snap back of the arm, bracket bit. Thought about it for a second, then tried the car again and it started up fine.

Now every time I switch the car off, you can hear the valve shut well after the 3ish seconds when it should close. I had thoughts of changing the solenoid control unit as well as the valve and actuator, but if I can get just the valve, that should sort it. Not sure if I can buy the valve on its own or if it comes with the actuator as well.

It looks like an easy enough job to do, just wondered if anybody else has ever had the same problem. If so, was it an easy job and how much was the valve?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Make sure you invest in some high quality de-greaser though as normal soap and water wont be any use or you can use thinners, parafin or acid alloy cleaner.

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
I think I will use some carb/manifold cleaner. Went to Seat this morning and ordered the EGR pipe gasket and valve 'O' ring.
Gasket - 069131547D £1.99
Seal - N90927302 £3.42
I thought I better buy them as sods law and my lucky, either will break or not seal on reassembly. Also being a mechanic, I know one or the other won't seal.
Got the gasket, had that in stock, the seal I have to wait until Tuesday/Wednesday. So Friday it will be then.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.