Nankang Ns 2 Nealy Got Me Killed

SHADY-NINJA

Feb 14, 2005
London
www.airconmedic.co.uk
About 1.6 miles on the A45 after coming off the M45 heading in the direction of coventry city centre i went through an 'S' bend at 80mph and the rear of my was doing the of foxtroth and waltz (SIDE STEPPIING).:drive1:
I tried to counter the foxtroth and waltz thing but the rear of my car wasnt having it so i kept the steering straight and then it gradualy steelted down.:duck:

Quite a hairy experience it was, as i thought i was definitly gonna crash.:drive2:
The thing is, I do these regular trips to Coventry about 2wice a week at the same speed at the same place and i have never experienced this before and it was not raining (felt like my rear axel was gone).
it still does it now.
so i got the car checked out mechanically today and the car was sound and was asked what last thing i changed before embarking on this journey, :idea:only then did it occur to me that i replaced my 2 worn out rear "CONTINENTAL SPORT TYRES WITH NANKANG NS 2"
Case closed.

If you drive with enthisiasm like me please avoid these tyres like a plague unless you just want to granny-shift your 1.8 20vt what ever.
The irony is that my worn out CONTINENTAL SPORTS still handled these corners like a spots car should. (bothe in the rain).

Nankangs must avoided by all means.

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Good bit of info there, thanks...Glad your OK...

Just remember tho you can drive same roads at same speeds everyday.. but if one day there is a patch of spilt diesel....

Anyway... enough of that.. glad your enjoying your motor!!! haha

Mike

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
Strange... Ive had Nankang NS2's on my old Ibiza and were awesome, loads of grip and quite cheap aswell.

Even mytyres.com rates them above some other bigger brands.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I thought nankangs were the best budget tyres by far. Sure it wasnt something on the road as you only found it slippy on one bit of road?

SHADY-NINJA

Feb 14, 2005
London
www.airconmedic.co.uk
Nankangs are quite a big downgrade from Continental sports.
i only bought then coz i had a blow out and the nearest garage i was helped to only had Nankangs.
The word Nankangs now gives me the shivers.
It made every strand of hair on my body stand at attention.

SHADY-NINJA

Feb 14, 2005
London
www.airconmedic.co.uk
when i bought the tyres i granny shifted from london on the M11 M25 M1 till i got to the M45.
the M45 is the best stretch of road to take your tuned car to its absolute limit without pc plod nicking you.

fatbloke

how many miles had you done on the new rubber?
they need time to run in a bit

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I thought the A45 was 50mph? It's certainly not 80!

The M45 is completely straight and rarely has cops on it, but the A45 into Coventry is littered with cameras because its a deathtrap of a road!

Triple D

when i bought the tyres i granny shifted from london on the M11 M25 M1 till i got to the M45.
the M45 is the best stretch of road to take your tuned car to its absolute limit without pc plod nicking you.

Ill second that :whistle: i had 150mph down that stretch, and never went below 140 the entire stretch :whistle:

Triple D

TBH i cant remember a s bend at all on the A45............. is it after the 1st island after rugby? so the stretch before the ryton peugeot plant bit? as it slightly goes down hill?

Deleted member 5241

Give Uniroyals, Vredestein Sportracs and Kumho KU31's a try. Recommended by autoexpress IIRC.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
nothing wrong with the tyres as general (I've used a few sets)

I suggest that there might be an underlying fault with the car? assuming the road conditions were 100%

perhaps a failling damper, or incorrect alignment?

I span on perfectly good tyres in the slight damp earlier this year, I put it down to diesel rather than tyre choice....

Triple D

its awesome
i always do 149-152mph on the M45 as soon as you come off the M1 and go accress a slight hump on the road.

I remember said hump, and the last time i went down there was the day i blew my second hybrid turbo up :whistle: i had the tc light flashing at me at 140mph :lol: whilst my mate was shitting himself next to me :lol:

Triple D

Its ok, i wrote it off in febuary :cry: but that was due to driving like a tit on the M6 and rear ended a van at about 80mph :( was ok though and the car did its job in keeping me safe :D