Need Advice - Engine Rattle/Pinging

Feb 16, 2020
Hey, again not sure if i’m posting in the correct area. I have a 2011 Seat ibiza Cupra 1.4tsi, and i’m having a problem with it. I’ve owned it for a year now, and ever since i’ve been trying to figure out the cause of the issue i’m having but garages can’t seem to figure it out without suggesting i fix around 20 things which will hopefully help find the issue along the way.

The issue i’m having is at traffic lights/roundabouts/when i’m at a complete stop, as i go to accelerate, i feel a slight lack of power where i then hear a subtle rattle from the front (engine i’m assuming) and a bit of white smoke comes out of the exhaust. It feels as though the car is holding back slightly and the rattle stops once i get up to speed. Nothing has ever come up when it’s ran through a diagnostic, it only seems to happen now and again when the engine warms up but seemed more frequent today. A garage 6 months ago suggested i used V-Power but that’s all i use anyway. I know there’s a lot of things it may be but was just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues?

I’ve just had new spark plugs fitted yesterday as well as new coil packs due to a separate issue. My clutch is also ‘slipping’ according to a garage who ran a diagnostic but i’m waiting to get that booked in for repair, thought i’d add that but don’t see that being related to it.

If anyone can help me out it would be really appreciated, thankyou☺️

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Sorry to hear of your problem. You say diagnostics have been run but does the engine warning light on the dash? If so a fault code (or codes) will be set and can be accessed with a scanner which would maybe point you in the right direction. I'm guessing not though because that would be where any competent garage would start and you make no mention of it? If no codes are posted the diagnostics become much more involved because you are starting to look for real time running data and comparing to known values looking for small deviations - much more time consuming and expensive.

Sitting here on my couch rather than actually hearing the noise and experiencing how the vehicle is behaving makes further suggestions extremely difficult but I guess your engine will have a chain driven cam? well known for wearing and producing weird rattly noises followed by terminal death rattle! Worn timing chains tend to quieten down a bit at higher revs compared to when ticking over. If your's is worn maybe it's jumped a tooth on the sprockets? which would give unsatisfactory running. Again though this is a well known problem with these engines so most garages should know about it. By the way, if the chain is worn and rattly you need to do something about it pretty quickly!

Sorry if none of this is very helpful. Where do you live? - not your actual address of course - maybe a knowledgeable forum member could help by offering an ear or use of VCDS maybe? - got fingers crossed for you that it's not going to be an expensive fix.

Ayiii! This is going to be a "twincharger" isn't it? If so, my deepest sympathies. I have absolutely no experience with this engine and probably never will - read a lot about them though. good luck to..

Feb 16, 2020
Sorry to hear of your problem. You say diagnostics have been run but does the engine warning light on the dash? If so a fault code (or codes) will be set and can be accessed with a scanner which would maybe point you in the right direction. I'm guessing not though because that would be where any competent garage would start and you make no mention of it? If no codes are posted the diagnostics become much more involved because you are starting to look for real time running data and comparing to known values looking for small deviations - much more time consuming and expensive.

Sitting here on my couch rather than actually hearing the noise and experiencing how the vehicle is behaving makes further suggestions extremely difficult but I guess your engine will have a chain driven cam? well known for wearing and producing weird rattly noises followed by terminal death rattle! Worn timing chains tend to quieten down a bit at higher revs compared to when ticking over. If your's is worn maybe it's jumped a tooth on the sprockets? which would give unsatisfactory running. Again though this is a well known problem with these engines so most garages should know about it. By the way, if the chain is worn and rattly you need to do something about it pretty quickly!

Sorry if none of this is very helpful. Where do you live? - not your actual address of course - maybe a knowledgeable forum member could help by offering an ear or use of VCDS maybe? - got fingers crossed for you that it's not going to be an expensive fix.

Ayiii! This is going to be a "twincharger" isn't it? If so, my deepest sympathies. I have absolutely no experience with this engine and probably never will - read a lot about them though. good luck to..

Thankyou for commenting☺ I have no warning lights on my dash, and have had the car ran through a diagnostic around 30 times the past few months and nothing appears. I found a video on YouTube that’s really similar to the sound i’m hearing but it’s not as bad as the video- of course i can’t take anything from the video as it’s not the same car but I use it to show to mechanics as the rattle only happens now and again.
This is the video :
it sounds almost exactly like that when he changes gears 5 seconds into the video.

You’re right about it being a chain but i know on start ups a chain that’s worn can be heard, whereas for me it’s only now and again the rattle is happening and it’s only on acceleration from a stop, but i’ll definitely mention that to the mechanic, thankyou! This has been going on for a year which is why i’m so concerned about it. It’s not every time i accelerate but does happen frequently enough to notice it, the sound and feel of the car literally goes through me? just want it sorted asap, thankyou for your advice i appreciate it! I also live in blackpool☺

Update: Just been on the phone to the mechanic and he advised as a first step that i use fuel system cleaner since I’ve had to change my spark plugs & coil packs due to misfiring

Last edited:

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Oooooh! ouch! that's a NASTY noise. Not timing chain, at least not like one I've ever heard. Also not pinking which is a much "lighter sort of pinging rattle, but at much the same frequency. Could be detonation? which is a much more severe and damaging version of pinking. My favouite guess, and it is just that, would be piston slap due to too much skirt clearance on at least one piston. Didn't I read somewhere that these earlier TSI engines did have piston problems? I'm sure I've seen pictures of TSI pistons with broken rings and lands?

Oh yes! Sorry, I just found this:

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
As I don't know your knowledge level, Here's another very relevant video which might just let you understand more of what just might be going on with yours. It's a different engine but still VAG and the piston problem is the same. I've got fingers, toes and all other mobile appendages crossed hoping that this isn't your problem!
A cylinder leak test doesn't take long, as you can see, so shouldn't cost much. Might be a good next step for you?
I have to say that if my engine was making noises like that I really wouldn't be running it 'till it was sorted. With a noise like that almost certainly damage is being done every time it's run!

PS "our" Nicola has forbidden us Scots to visit Blackpool just now anyway, What's the lights like this year? I have very fond memories of Blackpool. The last time we went there was a number of years ago and we took every room in a small family guest house just before my daughter got married. Self, Wife, both my boys and daughter. I even went on that big roller coaster and enjoyed it!

Last edited:

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Are you getting anywhere with this? Please do let us know. By the way, if you find a fuel system cleaner that can stop your car making that noise please do let me know 'cause I really really want some!

Reactions: everson38