need hellp ASAP alana headunit problem

jimmi

hello people

this is my first post and sorry to be asking a question straight away

Basically my friend has a 54 reg ibiza fr, with the standard alana headunit the "mp3" one with steering controls.

the other day i accidently kicked off the volume control knob and it looks like a small metal rod has snapped, now im thinking about superglueing it back on very carefully so it still can be pushed in and out and turned up and down.

however if this doesnt work (which it probably wont) i need a new alana headunit,

the thing is my friend is keen on mp3's and it must be able to play them,

do only the ones with "mp3" written on them play mp3 cds or would a normal alana player still play them and its just a marketing tactic... i would post a link but i cant because i dont have 15 posts :cry:

if it wont then i definitely need an "mp3" one :(

does anyone have one they want to sell me?

your comments would be much appreciated as the non mp3 headunit finishes on ebay in a few hours! :cry:

NickCupraR

NickIbiza
Mar 2, 2009
Chichester Portsmouth Area
In My ibiza which isnt the same as your friends but is a 56 model has the Alana head unit but i dnt have the steering wheel controls. Mine also does not have MP3 writtern on it but it does play cds and custom made cds
Does your friends Alana unit have a connector for external MP3s ?

jimmi

when you say it plays cds, do you mean mp3 cds (as in ones which can store like 80 songs)

i dont think it has an aux cable to connect an ipod no

the main thing is, do the cd players that dont have mp3 written on them..... play mp3 format cds

many thanks

jimmi

That is correct, my Alana didn't have MP3 stamped on it and it didn't play them.

cheeers guys, looks like im going to have to fork out for an mp3 one then :( anyone got one they want to sell me second hand>??

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
cheeers guys, looks like im going to have to fork out for an mp3 one then anyone got one they want to sell me second hand>??

Try having a look in the 'for sale section' one here, or maby try ebay. You could also look for cars which are being broken on ebay, and see if they have the headunit to sell.

jimmi

yer already had a look, theres one on ebay, £80 delievered, might have to go for that

anyone else got one?

jimmi

yer have done mate, one guy might have one, but he hasnt got back to me yet

anyone else got one knocking about??

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
I've got a head unit from an 07 plate FR. I'll have a look tonight to see whether it says MP3 on it or not.

If it does I'm happy to sell but wouldn't know what it was worth.

jimmi

yer if you guys could check that wuld be great,

if you have steering controls its likely it will be mp3

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
when you say will the steerring controls be mp3 what do you mean?

i have an alpine HU and have connected the steering wheel controls up to that, i can play mp3 cd's on that and use the controls to change that to...so folder and track

jimmi

no i mean, if your car has steering controls, its likely your alana headunit will be an mp3 one

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
oh ok, yea the stereo worked with steering wheel controls. So presume it csan use mp3 cd's

if you want it....im willing to sell :)

jimmi

yer i deffo want it, it must have "mp3" written on the front tho... so might want to check that

email me an ofer to [email protected] cos my pms arent working yet

cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.