NEW 2019 Curpa 290 ez.. No DSG bangs or pop whatsoever!

Sam Lever

Dec 19, 2018
Iv got 68 plate 290 dsg 7 speed etc and the Same no pops and bangs or farts on the up shift... or over run ... only when the car is hot 106 degrees she starts popping but only very quiet. I’m wondering if by having a res delete it will change????
I'm in the same position as you. Just gone over 8000 miles and still very limited if nothing at all.
When I get back to the UK in a few weeks I've got it booked in for a res delete so will let you know how it goes.

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015
Just a thought,

What is fuel is everyone running their Cupra's on?

Mine is now on around 15k and has always been almost exclusivley run on Shell V Power, pretty much from the word go i have always had pops and bangs when changing down or on the overrun when in Sport/Cupra mode also get them on the upshit, although mostly when changing at around 4-5K.

Didnt know if it was the fuel that was playing a part in this or not?

Reactions: GordonMcC

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I've just started figuring out my 65 plate 280 DSG.

Pretty sure it only works in sports mode on the gearbox auto or manual.

Need to be WOT or pretty close and shift up at 6kish rpm on throttle through gears 1-3, its loud as well. I have the engine set to comfort so no stupid soundaktor but I can hear it with music on pretty loud as well.

I just run standard supermarket fuel as well.

Reactions: GordonMcC

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
I've just started figuring out my 65 plate 280 DSG.

Pretty sure it only works in sports mode on the gearbox auto or manual.

Need to be WOT or pretty close and shift up at 6kish rpm on throttle through gears 1-3, its loud as well. I have the engine set to comfort so no stupid soundaktor but I can hear it with music on pretty loud as well.

I just run standard supermarket fuel as well.

If the box is in sport, then the engine is too.

Get yourself carista or OBDeleven and turn the soundaktor off, or unplug it!

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
If the box is in sport, then the engine is too.

Get yourself carista or OBDeleven and turn the soundaktor off, or unplug it!

Its not its 2 separate things, putting sport mode on will put the engine in sport and the gearbox in sport but you can just knock it out of sport if you want.

If you have it in comfort and knock the gearbox into sport its doesn't change the engine setting.

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
Im now on 11k miles and mines will pop and bang in Sport/Cupra mode all day long using a mixture of Tesco/Sainsburys & BP fuel, rarely premium. I have a res delete but even before this it would do it.

on that note i will be taking the res delete pipe off in the next few months as I have a new Skoda Kodiaq coming in June (new family member arriving in May). cutting my lease 4 months early

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
Its not its 2 separate things, putting sport mode on will put the engine in sport and the gearbox in sport but you can just knock it out of sport if you want.

If you have it in comfort and knock the gearbox into sport its doesn't change the engine setting.

it will still fart in normal when gearbox is in sport, its just wont pop

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
The engine setting itself just changes the throttle response and puts a fake noise into the car though, it doesn't do anything else.

The DSG will default into Sport if you put the engine mode on Sport/Cupra but you can just put the DSG back into Drive if you want.

seatram

Sep 8, 2017
Ilkeston
I'm getting pops and I've only got 150 miles on the clock! Not even going above 3000rpm, just gotta wait for the exhaust to warm up, shift it into cupra mode and it'll pop on downshifts and revs when stationery. I understand the interior noise is fake, but I don't mind it so much. I'll get a res delete and remove the soundaktor soon anyway.

Cranny D

Dec 24, 2018
For clarity, I can confirm that there is a huge difference in the pops and bangs in the 2019 Cupras when changing the driver profile to Sport. I've been driving around with the driving profile set to Comfort for the longest of time, thinking that each time I flicked the DSG into sport it would give me full beans! Little did I realise that you need to change the actual driving profile to Sport to get the full joys, so thank you to you guys! :) .

I have a res delete and in the Sport driving profile the thing is beautiful; effortless pops and bangs that are pretty damn loud!

Reactions: ExInferis

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
For clarity, I can confirm that there is a huge difference in the pops and bangs in the 2019 Cupras when changing the driver profile to Sport. I've been driving around with the driving profile set to Comfort for the longest of time, thinking that each time I flicked the DSG into sport it would give me full beans! Little did I realise that you need to change the actual driving profile to Sport to get the full joys, so thank you to you guys! :) .

I have a res delete and in the Sport driving profile the thing is beautiful; effortless pops and bangs that are pretty damn loud!

Its probably because you're thrashing it more with a more sensitive throttle, or you're getting finnessed by the fake sound! :bleh:

Cranny D

Dec 24, 2018
Its probably because you're thrashing it more with a more sensitive throttle, or you're getting finnessed by the fake sound! :bleh:

With Regards to thrashing it, that is definitely not the case. You can sit at about 3k revs and blip the throttle to 3.5k and it'll pop off. I think this is mostly due to the res delete! My mate was walking towards my car from the rear the other day and he said he could hear the thing growling from half way down the road - definitely not fake sound!:dance:

I was under the impression the fake sound is only pumped into the cabin when in the Cupra driving profile? I personally dislike the fake noise and never put my baby in Cupra mode.

Reactions: Tonezz

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
With Regards to thrashing it, that is definitely not the case. You can sit at about 3k revs and blip the throttle to 3.5k and it'll pop off. I think this is mostly due to the res delete! My mate was walking towards my car from the rear the other day and he said he could hear the thing growling from half way down the road - definitely not fake sound!:dance:

I was under the impression the fake sound is only pumped into the cabin when in the Cupra driving profile? I personally dislike the fake noise and never put my baby in Cupra mode.

The Sport and Cupra engine setting is fake sound, just different fake sounds. The only thing any engine setting changes is throttle response and the preset Sport and Cupra are just presets, they dont do anything different from choosing your own set ups in Individual.

Thats what I meant by saying about the throttle response because that is all that is changing when you are changing that setting.

I compiled a bit of info here I found so far.. https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/drive-profile-settings-guide.459037/

Seat aren't exactly clear on what stuff does but I think I got to the bottom of most of it. :happy:

Reactions: Cranny D

Cranny D

Dec 24, 2018
The Sport and Cupra engine setting is fake sound, just different fake sounds. The only thing any engine setting changes is throttle response and the preset Sport and Cupra are just presets, they dont do anything different from choosing your own set ups in Individual.

Thats what I meant by saying about the throttle response because that is all that is changing when you are changing that setting.

I compiled a bit of info here I found so far.. https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/drive-profile-settings-guide.459037/

Seat aren't exactly clear on what stuff does but I think I got to the bottom of most of it. :happy:
You be right my friend! Seat been doing me dirty all this time lmao! :banghead2

Reactions: Tonezz

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
I love using Cupra mode as it maximises all parameters for sporty driving in engine and DSG box plus the sound of the soundaktor introduces an extra shot of drama for my ears and particularly if riding with a passenger :coolthumb Mine pops and bangs particularly loud just like a gunshot going off if going over 3-4k revs and is easily heard within the cabin. When in comfort mode there aren't any at all so there must be something different happening which enables that?

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Mine is up to 5k now and definitely farts and pops in sport mode. Nothing in comfort mode. Its not loud, but is loud enough for me, passengers notice it. It also crackles quite a bit in sport mode, even if just blipping the throttle in neutral.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I love using Cupra mode as it maximises all parameters for sporty driving in engine and DSG box plus the sound of the soundaktor introduces an extra shot of drama for my ears and particularly if riding with a passenger :coolthumb Mine pops and bangs particularly loud just like a gunshot going off if going over 3-4k revs and is easily heard within the cabin. When in comfort mode there aren't any at all so there must be something different happening which enables that?

Because putting it in Cupra mode preset defaults your DSG to Sport mode.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Mine is up to 5k now and definitely farts and pops in sport mode. Nothing in comfort mode. Its not loud, but is loud enough for me, passengers notice it. It also crackles quite a bit in sport mode, even if just blipping the throttle in neutral.

I can't account for a Manual gearbox but you can check something out for us....

DSG Sport mode makes the car idle higher and it makes the turbo boost at idle also.

Maybe on a manual they have put that into the sport and cupra engine setting?

You can check by putting up the turbo PSI monitor, on comfort it will idle at 0 stationary but DSG Sport it will idle at like 4-5psi, check if the engine settings in a manual change that.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.