new bulb or HID packing up?

benny91

Apr 3, 2009
Southampton, UK
Firstly Hello again all, right im not very mechanically minded or experienced with cars, so bear with me!

right brought the car with a HID kit installed, been working perfectly for close to a year of happy motoring now, until this evening i noticed the passenger side dipped beam is a pinky/yellow colour and not as bright as the blue beam of the drivers side, however it is definatly producing a beam, which i presume is what a non HID beam would've looked like?

does it sound like the bulb needs replacing? or is this signs or the HID kit failing on one side?

thanks

Ben

CatB1

Nov 19, 2003
Manchester
www.freeserve.com
Swap the ballast's over, if the fault transfer's to the other side it's the ballast that is at fault, if it remains at the original bulb then the bulb will need replacing.

Pete

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Benny

i seem to be popping up now and then to offer advice.

If it does turn out to be a bulb / ballast issue then let me know as i have some spare bulbs (h7) and 1 spare ballast i kept as a spare just incase anything died. i can let you have them for £15 which considering 1 ballast isnt used and both bulbs are brand new isnt bad.

i may be attending the SCN meet on the 7th ? in southampton if you did want them

let me know :)

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
specific bulb as its not a normal fillament bulb, it is an 'arc' bulb where two electrodes are close together and the voltage arcs between them, going through a certain gas to create the light. i think my spare ones are 8000k so would be slightly bluer in colour.. if you dont want to take up the offer then ebay is a good option.

if ya want, at the meet i can bring along a spare ballast and bulbs. i can fit it for you and if it works then you can have the ballast and spare bulbs for a tenner.

i cant be anymore helpful than that :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.