New Cat??

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
Had a fault code come up and the CEL light on.

It's P0420 - Cat conv. system, Bank 1 efficiency below threshold.

Garage says I need a new cat.

Currently running the A&M 3"DP with 100cel cat.
It's been on the car for just under 2 years but when the garage hitched up the emisssions gadget it was quite far above the maximum acceptable levels on a fast idel (idle was ok).

Is it fooked?
If I have to buy a replacement (BF for example) will the mapping need adjusting?

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
no mapping needed but as the cat is part of the dp u either need a whole new downpipe or get a replacement cat and have abit of cut an weld work done.

any symptoms? power wise?
tried clearing the fault to see if it returns?

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
Power-wise it seems fine. No other symptoms either. Seems to be running very well.

I've had the fault code cleared but I'm guessing it'll come back. I was watching the monitor on the emissions tester and it was well above what it should be.

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
It's miles out. I think the upper limit is .2 and mine was fluctuating between .3 and .65.

MOT isn't due for a while (and they may pass it anyway.......sshhhhh!).
Can't damage the engine in any way can I?

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
I'm going to wait and see if this fault code comes back up again.

Would changing the pre-cat lambda sensor have any effect on this (emissions)?
Previous searches suggest this may be at fault but I'm not sure if it's actually going to make any difference.

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
Had another fault code come up.

Maff signal too high (it's a new maf). Could this have any relation to the above?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Which aspect of emissions read high?
HC or CO or both

lambda control should control, and is part of the test, so if its holding lambda of 1 within their test spec, then lambda precat would seem ok, but post cat maybe not (or it is in fact confirming cat is catalysing well enough, as confirmed by MOT station sniffer)

Also, any leak in your exhaust system can affect the MOT tailpipe sniffer, even small one which can allow air to be sucked in.

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
Cheers for the advice all.

I'm going to go back to them and get them to check lambda values and also for small leaks in the exhaust. The cat isn't even 2 years old so I'll be gutted if it's buggered.
CEL light came back on again this morning which is probably the same fault code (that light is becoming a permanent feature on my dash).

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
Which aspect of emissions read high?
HC or CO or both

lambda control should control, and is part of the test, so if its holding lambda of 1 within their test spec, then lambda precat would seem ok, but post cat maybe not (or it is in fact confirming cat is catalysing well enough, as confirmed by MOT station sniffer)QUOTE]

Bill,

Just spoken with the garage.

My HC was fine.
O2 was fine.
Lambda was fine.
CO2 on idle was 0.10
CO2 on fast idle was 0.80.

Doesn't really mean much to me tbh. Any help on uderstanding what that means would be appreciated.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.