new discs and pads fitted, wheel wont fit now

elliott87

May 27, 2008
Edinburgh
got a set of front discs and pads fitted to the car. Got a 03 plate cupra but now the caliper hits the inside of the wheels. Discs were 312mm vented, so correct size but i'm wondering if because the new wheels may not be perfect offset, they fitted fine as the discs and pads were worn down, but now, as discs and pads are new, they bring the caliper out a bit and make it rub the inside wheel. Will i need spacers or what? Hope this make's sense lol

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
oem wheels are et35, so 7mm spacers; but 6mm are more common. you will need longer wheels bolts too + lockers. 5x100 pcd 57.1mm bore

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
bill and badger 5 will probably be able to sort you out, or damian at dpm :)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Elliot,

when your fitting new discs and pads this doesn't alter the positioning of the calliper. this will only move if you unbolt it from the carrier and space it out or if you have forgotten to put the spacer back in when replacing the wheels.
If none of the above this shouldn't happen

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
Elliot,

when your fitting new discs and pads this doesn't alter the positioning of the calliper. this will only move if you unbolt it from the carrier and space it out or if you have forgotten to put the spacer back in when replacing the wheels.
If none of the above this shouldn't happen

Willie; if it is a single pot "floating" style caliper then I think the caliper will move after fitting new pads. The sliding part of the caliper (wheel side) will move out a few mm to allow the new pads to fit, like with the rear brakes on the LCR? could be wrong tho!

elliott87

May 27, 2008
Edinburgh
it was all taken apart as was getting cv boot and drive shaft seals done. Could it have been put on wrong? I thought it would only go on one way and in one position?

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Is your wheel effectively striking the back of the spokes against the front of the calliper? In which case could possibly be the new pad/disc comination, but they would have been bloody close previously. If its the actual curved surface of the wheel which is striking, then i cant begin to think what has gone wrong!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
wrong offset wheels fitted to the car if new (thicker) pads are fitted and there's a collision now..

elliott87

May 27, 2008
Edinburgh
well i left the new discs on and put the old pads back on and it all fits again so it must just be the fact the pads are new and thicker. The wheels clear the caliper by a couple of mm at the moment, with the old pads

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.