New FR Sport owner questions

May 4, 2021
Hi new to the forum and searched for some posts so I don’t believe these have been asked. But if so, apologies

So this car was meant primarily for the wife. She wanted something smaller than our Audi but hated all the tiny city cars and what not. Thankfully, she fell in love with this car when we eventually got to have a look and we both love the nevada white colour (especially with the contrasting black wing mirrors)

Anyway, onto the questions

• The wipers appear to be very loud. When sweeping towards their fully extended position it can be very distracting (even with the radio on) Is this normal? is there anything we can do to improve this? Does anything like this full under warranty?
  • This is a nit-pick and I fully realise this, but closing the doors / boot results in a slightly "cheap" sound lol I don’t know how to explain it but you don’t get the nice thump you would normally associate with some cars when you close the doors. They sound like they are from a car much, much lower down the price range. Has anyone else noticed this or is it my neurosis?
  • Anyone have the arm rest fitted? Is it easy to do yourself or would you recommend dealer install?
  • same with parking sensors/camera (which I can’t believe are not on this model) Has anyone had these fitted by dealer and if so how much are we looking at?

Thanks

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
The dealer reversing camera cost me £400 and was a total ripoff. It doesn't even have the guidance lines. I am still in dispute with them. Save your money !

May 4, 2021
The dealer reversing camera cost me £400 and was a total ripoff. It doesn't even have the guidance lines. I am still in dispute with them. Save your money !

Thanks for the heads up!

Thats odd as it clearly shows the lines in the accessory page on the seat website

LINK

Hope you get it sorted as I would be going off my head at that

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
The dealer retrospectively told us the reversing camera In the brochure was for other models like the Ateca and there was nothing they could do about the guidance lines. I bought and fitted rear parking sensors from eBay in the end at about £20

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
The genuine armrest takes literally 5 mins to install - must be 1 of the easiest upgrades so don't pay a dealer to fit it

I know what you mean about the doors - very tinny sounding which is why i fitted sound deadening pads inside the doors and behind the plastic door trims (also helps to quieten the rattles) - here's a guide for fitting deadening -

re your wipers - is your windscreen definately clean? use a good glass cleaner (i use Meguiars) or if none to hand vinegar is supposed to be good for cleaning glass. I noticed mine sounded rough last week so i clayed the windscreen before using glass cleaner - nice smooth and quiet now :)

Armrest fitted

100_2586.JPG

lordedmundo

Feb 23, 2021
Most questions already answered - but my take (I've had my FR Sport 2021 for 6 weeks):

-The wipers seem whisper quiet to me. I am comparing them to my last car however, which was nearly 20 years old when I sold it!

-Yes, doors do sound cheap, but really doesn't bother me. I would add that all the metal on the body work feels very thin compared to older cars I have owned, so I wouldn't just put it down to lack of soundproofing/deadening.

-I can confirm that the armrest does take literally 5-10mins to fit. In terms of tools just need a mini ratchet with 10mm socket and a plastic (preferably) bladed tool to remove the trim at the back

-I included parking sensors when speccing the car. I find the noise a bit annoying to be honest!

Literally the only thing I don't like about the car is the incredibly cheap plastic used for the heating vents (and integrated hazard light button). It is literally worse quality than the plastic used for disposable razors!

kurac338

Mar 30, 2020
Croatia
Most questions already answered - but my take (I've had my FR Sport 2021 for 6 weeks):

-The wipers seem whisper quiet to me. I am comparing them to my last car however, which was nearly 20 years old when I sold it!

-Yes, doors do sound cheap, but really doesn't bother me. I would add that all the metal on the body work feels very thin compared to older cars I have owned, so I wouldn't just put it down to lack of soundproofing/deadening.

-I can confirm that the armrest does take literally 5-10mins to fit. In terms of tools just need a mini ratchet with 10mm socket and a plastic (preferably) bladed tool to remove the trim at the back

-I included parking sensors when speccing the car. I find the noise a bit annoying to be honest!

Literally the only thing I don't like about the car is the incredibly cheap plastic used for the heating vents (and integrated hazard light button). It is literally worse quality than the plastic used for disposable razors!
Agree about the plastic for the vents and the console dash in general.
FYI you can change the sound tone, volume and sensitivity for the parking sensors in the Car->Settings section.

One question for the armrest owners... If you open the cover (the actual part where you rest your hand), does the underside of the cover wobble? I can see that it is assembled using the plastic clips that are supposed to snap in place, but it seems to me that the clips don't go all the way along the joints of the cover. Can anyone confirm. I will attach a picture of what I mean.
Green marks sections that are firmly snapped in place.
Orange marks sections that show a gap in my car causing rattle and wobble.

Bonus, pink marks someone's ingenious idea to 3D print a riser for the console. Model available on HERE :)

image_7c64ab27-b22c-4e4d-9c9e-1cbeb77a8b0c_525x700.jpg

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Mine doesn't wobble or rattle (one of the only things that doesn't rattle on the car), does it rattle if the lid is slid all the way back or just when slid forwards?

BigO

Mar 5, 2018
Agree about the plastic for the vents and the console dash in general.
FYI you can change the sound tone, volume and sensitivity for the parking sensors in the Car->Settings section.

One question for the armrest owners... If you open the cover (the actual part where you rest your hand), does the underside of the cover wobble? I can see that it is assembled using the plastic clips that are supposed to snap in place, but it seems to me that the clips don't go all the way along the joints of the cover. Can anyone confirm. I will attach a picture of what I mean.
Green marks sections that are firmly snapped in place.
Orange marks sections that show a gap in my car causing rattle and wobble.

Bonus, pink marks someone's ingenious idea to 3D print a riser for the console. Model available on HERE :)

View attachment 24335

My armrest is fine and doesn't rattle but it is way too low for me to even utilize it properly!!

Know any services that can 3D print it for me and send it over? As I sadly do not own one. Hopefully this will fix my issue and will be able to actually use the arm rest!

kurac338

Mar 30, 2020
Croatia
Mine doesn't wobble or rattle (one of the only things that doesn't rattle on the car), does it rattle if the lid is slid all the way back or just when slid forwards?
I've checked the armrest and its plate outlined in the photo, during this weekend. Turns out the brilliant officially licensed VW/SEAT/Skoda mechanics once more showed that they justify their existence and asking price :ROFLMAO: ...

Turns out they broke some of the plastic clips on that plate when they were servicing the handbrake :mad:. I have absolutely no idea why, since that upper part is not even a task of the disassembly process for the handbrake...
Any way I have ghetto modded some padding around the problematic / noisy area. Now it is a little bit sturdier and rattles less. Still not perfect, but its reasonable.

How come you have so much rattle? Mine really holds up well, especially considering what we call "roads" in my county and the 18" wheels.
If that armrest was the first, the second most annoying sound for me are the driver and passenger windows that clank when you lower them.
Surprisingly even the sunroof holds up without too much noise/clicking. It makes a sound only on days with extreme temperatures, when the metal and glass want to expand/shrink.

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
My drivers window rattles when it's lowered a couple of inches so i lower it more to combat this
I have a rattle from the back when going over rumble strips - sounds like the tailgate but pushing down on it doesn't make any noises or make any movement?
I also have a rattle which sounds to from the rear - maybe suspension? can't pinpoint it :(
I also have what sounds like a door or window slightly open N/S/R as i hear wind noise - window is fully closed and door closed? no leaks when pressure washing so can't be a gap

Not the best built car and after fitting all the sound deadening i expected it to be a lot queiter

kurac338

Mar 30, 2020
Croatia
If you lower the back seats and remove the protective shelf from the trunk, the car starts to sound like its a convertible :confused:.
So yes, I agree, the noise insulation in general. Especially in the rear of the car its not good at all.

In your case, it is possible that you can hear the styrofoam insert bouncing around in the trunk. Might be worth a look. If you open the lid and look directly under the lid latch, you will see a perforated grill, and inside it a (white) styrofoam block. If I remember correctly, it serves as a pressure release port in case of a crash / accident. If that is the cause of the noise, you may be able to fix it in place with something.

Glad to hear I am not the only one with window rattle :LOL:. I had that problem with my previous car, Suzuki Swift MY2009, but for a budget car, it only developed the rattle after 8 years. So for the Ibiza to develop it in two years, does not inspire any confidence :sick:.

A shame really. For such a nice looking and feature packed car, to be built with such negligence. I guess you have to sell the Polo somehow :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Desire red

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
I've driven with everything removed from the boot - spare wheel, mats, parcel shelf, seats folded flat and could still hear something.
I fitted sound deadening pads inside the spare wheel well, boot floor, inside tailgate and behind the rear panels on top of the wheel arches and still no better :(
Where exactly is the foam? inside the tailgate or inside the boot lip?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@robby71; a couple common sources of cabin / boot noises from the rear of many VAG cars are;
  • rear seat back latch mechanism on cars with folding rear seat. The rear seat back latch ‘locks’ onto a metal loop when it’s in the upright position and if there’s any free play between the latch and the loop, the result can be an annoying rattle. A cheap and easy fix is to wrap some electrical insulating tap around the metal loop to remove any free play. I did this in my mk6 Golf and no more rattles.
  • Movement between tailgate and boot opening or between tailgate latch and locking post on tailgate sill - assuming the Ibiza has threaded rubber bump stops on the underside of the vertical edges of the tailgate, unscrewing these bump stops slightly to ensure they fit tightly against the bodywork can stop movement between tailgate and boot opening or the tailgate latch rattling against the locking post.

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Drove with rear seat backs down so it wasn't the catches
Tailgate doesn't rattle when pushing down on it when closed so doesn't appear to be the locking catch
Plastic bump stops don't seem to screw in/ out as on other cars and i put some felt where the sit onto - no difference

Thinking i might have to wear ear plugs so i can't hear the rattles :)

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
I had something similar with an Arosa. I sorted it in the end with a smear of silicone grease along the black rubber tailgate seal. I believe what happened was that the original shiny silicone layer on the seal had rubbed off leaving a matt dry surface that made a noise over bumps due to the tailgate moving and flexing.

If you want to test this theory take a short drive with the tailgate open and see if the noise disappears !

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.