New head gasket, do I *have* to replace the head bolts?

Undert4ker

Just like it says, do I actually need to replace the head bolts when I change the head gasket. Haynes Book of Lies says yes but I thought that was only for stretched bolts in high performance engines. The 1.4 APQ is a poky little thing but high performance it ain't! :D

Basically, the gasket needs doing yesterday but if I buy bolts too I can't afford the timing belt kit :shrug: so hoping for some guidance...

Cheers

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Nothing to do with high performance its how the bolt tightens up, yes they have to be replaced or the job aint worth doing.

Caffienated

Dec 2, 2009
Bristol
Yups, (most) head bolts stretch when you wind them in. They don't quite do the job second time around, which is basically just gonna give you another leak.

Dunno where you've priced head bolts... I did a head on a Polo a few years ago, and found a little engine-work place in Sheffield (where I was living at the time) who did me a full set for about £25, much much cheaper than the bigger motor factors' I normally used. Might be worth a half hour with the yellow pages. You might save on the belt kit too! ;)

Undert4ker

Alright, point taken, I'll go with the majority on this one! At least I've learnt something about head bolts :) Bits on their way from Euro Car Parts...

Caffienated

Dec 2, 2009
Bristol
To be fair, I don't know the APQ/AEX in detail, but the majority of reasonably recent engines stress the head bolts. Some, like the Rover K series actually pretty much hold the whole engine together with them!

I'd be surprised to find that the engine in question was old-school enough that it didn't matter, but it could be the case. It should be noted that even if you *ARE* planning to *try* reusing the bolts, they need to be carefully checked against a specified permitted variance from original spec. If *any* are out-of-range of tolerance, the whole set needs replacing. This even applies if the bolts are not designed as stretch bolts. They *will* have stretched.

Personally, I'd change them out of hand if I was heaving the head off. Depending on why the head was coming off, I'd probably also want the head crack-testing and checking to see that it was still the right shape, too...

Why? Same reason I wouldn't be re-using bolts that held safety-critical steering or suspension components together that were likely to see cornering loads, except that in the case of the engine it's only the engine that would be dieing if the bolts failed.

Last edited:

HoopDub

Aug 17, 2009
K series, ****cringe**** i totally recomend changing them, just saying that acording to autodata they dont have to be :D

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
knowing how common teh engine is for overheating / blowing head gasket's and the fact that the heads are rare to find unless warped like a kids slide then for the sake of £15 or so if that i'd use new ones every time

better still while it's off get it checked and skimmed clean to be sure too

Undert4ker

Having read the tightening sequence (then actually done it) feel a bit embarrassed to have asked! Hey ho, live and learn...

Stupid question no 2 tho, should the new head gasket be delaminated along all the edges? The centres around the bores are fixed properly but the layers are separated for about half an inch all round the edge. :confused:

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Stupid question no 2 tho, should the new head gasket be delaminated along all the edges? The centres around the bores are fixed properly but the layers are separated for about half an inch all round the edge. :confused:

I don't believe it matters. The important part is the seals around all the bores. That should include cylinders, water and oil channels. The rest of it just holds the thing together.

Anyway, the amount of force you apply with the head will definitely take care of any separation!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if its a multi layer one like this then no it will actually help if there if there any irregularities in the head

head_gasket.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.