New Leon Owner - some questions for exisiting owners

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
Hi All,

Right ive had my Leon TDi Sport for a month now and there are a few things i wanted to ask you lot about - little bits that i dont really understand yet.

Reading the manual the car should have a global open/close for the windows and sunroof but i cant get it to work. Is this not fitted to British cars or am i doing it wrong?

Where is the button for disarming the alarm - i cant find it on the drivers door pillar?

Fuel economy - now i know that this is mainly down to my right foot but i am struggling to get more than 45mpg on a long motorway run to Scotland (frequent trips to see my GF). Its not that im travelling at silly speeds 70odd but i would have hoped for better than that over a journey of 300 miles. The 2 things i thought it might be are either a) using cruise control or b) having to go over the Borders means that it doesnt really get a flat run so uses more fuel.

If anyone can give me some ideas about these it would be much appreciated.

David

Ghost

Nov 28, 2005
Hampshire
I have been playing with the windows a little, if you hold the key in the driver door lock in either the lock or unlock position it will open/close all the windows.

As for fuel economy, I get about the same as you (on fairly flat motorways!). I have been told that cruise control should help with the efficiency so I don't think it is that. I have also been told that these engines take a long time (20k miles) to fully loosen up and will not give you their best until that time.

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
The global open/close only works when locking with the key, lock the car and keep the key turned in the lock until the windows go up or down. It's been like that on vw cars for a while as far as I know.
According to the manual, the internal sensor disable is activated by a second successive click on the lock button when you lock it. I don't think there is a disarm button in the car (not that I've found one)
As for fuel economy, modern engines take a while to loosen up as they are manufactured to quite tight tollerances. I wouldn't worry too much about 45mpg, my first tank of fuel only got me 24.5mpg on my TFSI !
The 2.0 TDi has been around for a while in the Touran and Altea, you might want to ask some of those owners how much they get. After all the Leon is lighter and more aerodynamic so it should be better than a Touran for example (which is shaped like a pointy brick ;) )

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
I have the 1.9TDI and get a very consisitant 42mpg, but the computer says 45mpg.
I'm a bit of a geek and have a full spreadsheet calculating fuel economy on each fill up, the last 1000 miles, and an overall average.

I think the 2.0TDI actually has a better fuel economy due to it's 6th gear. A colleague has the Altea 2.0TDI and my boss has an Audi A4 2.0TDI and both have a reading of around 50mpg on their computers!

THE BIG GAS MAN

Jan 2, 2006
BEITH
Hi, I've had my sport for 4 months now and done 14000miles. Never knew it had global closing, but it doesnt bother me if it hasn't. Fuel economy, well I've tried all different ways of driving and I cover the same motorway as yourself (M74) . The best I have had is 54mpg but had to keep revs below 2k you can still do 65/70 at this on the motorway. It is boring as hell but if you are looking for economy then thats what you have to do.

My overall fuel economy is 48mpg which reset its self 4000 miles ago.

The alarm switch is not fitted to my car even though it shows it in the book. You can turn the internal sensors off by double clicking the key fob quickly which allows you to leave a window open on warm days or lock screaming kids in without the alarm going off:D

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
thanks guys for your replies

i guess i just need to see what happens regarding fuel economy - the way i look at it is that i used to get 32mpg from my MG so anymore than that is a bonus!

about global closing and the alarm button - they are both in the manual but then that doesnt mean we will get them! I will have to try the key in the lock and see what happens!

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
...talking of the manual the one that bugs me is the fact that the cruise control does not light up when you use it. Despite the fact that the manual says it should AND the fact that if you look hard at the dash the warning symbol is actually there !

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
carl4x4 said:
...talking of the manual the one that bugs me is the fact that the cruise control does not light up when you use it. Despite the fact that the manual says it should AND the fact that if you look hard at the dash the warning symbol is actually there !

Mine light's up when I use it. Maybe the bulb has gone in yours?

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
...great, now that's three things on the list;

- rusty wheel hubs
- under dash trim missing
- cruise light not working

:(

john_ach

Apr 25, 2006
Mine doesnt light up either! I tried to have a look for the icon but not very closely. Will have to next time im out in it.

While driving do any of you hear the parcel shelf bumping up n down as you go over bumps in the road? I live in Bristol and the roads are pretty bad but it does get a bit annoying hearing it vibrating n bouncing away.

PS- do you have the part number for the under dash trim bit, my car doesnt have that either.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
carl4x4 said:
...great, now that's three things on the list;

- under dash trim missing

:(

If your talking about under the glove box. I spoke to my dealer about this. Apparently all the Leons in his dealership do not have this. I have seen this part though on a TDI sport. He told me the part number is written on it so if I see it again take it off and write down the part number for him as it doesnt seem to be in his parts catalogue.

My cruise light doesnt come on either.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
john_ach said:
While driving do any of you hear the parcel shelf bumping up n down as you go over bumps in the road? I live in Bristol and the roads are pretty bad but it does get a bit annoying hearing it vibrating n bouncing away.

nope, never heard that!

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
I'd hate to tempt fate, but no I don't hear my parcel shelf either. Have anyone else got really rusty wheel hubs?

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
carl4x4 said:
I'd hate to tempt fate, but no I don't hear my parcel shelf either. Have anyone else got really rusty wheel hubs?

Yeah my hubs are starting to get rusty in the parts the pads don't touch :(

The list of niggles on mine are :
Rear tweeter rattling
Electric folding mirror (drivers side) tempremental
Passenger seat pressure sensor
rear seat area rattle

and now rusty hubs.

None of them are the end of the world, as I say just niggles, but niggles none the less.

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
I don't think any car is imune to these niggles, even my last Honda had a list of bits & pieces it had to go back for, and they're supposed to be built to an uber-high standard !
On the plus side, the economy went up to 33 mpg yesterday over a 200 mile trip which is a bit of a relief over the last tank's 24mpg :) The engine's getting noticeably looser as well which is good.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
LeakyTurnip said:
It will only light up if your car has the larger MFD. The same goes for the low windscreen washer warning.

Thats annoying I think, I would of got the bluetooth pack if I knew that.

Does anyone elses passenger seatbelt (no passenger) keep knocking against the side pillar? :think:

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
DanGB said:
Thats annoying I think, I would of got the bluetooth pack if I knew that.

Does anyone elses passenger seatbelt (no passenger) keep knocking against the side pillar? :think:

I just got a 2L tdi and it is fine however the one i test drove at the dealer had that problem.

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
LeakyTurnip said:
It will only light up if your car has the larger MFD. The same goes for the low windscreen washer warning.

Yep I have the large MFD due to my bluetooth kit, but my washer fluid level indicator doesn't iluminate when low :(

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.