New SC fuel gauge stuck on full!

halflife

I've already driven 250km on the same tank but the fuel gauge is still showing full tank!
To those of you whom are metric illiterate - 250km is approximately half a tank worth of driving.

Any suggestions?

evgeni432

Crazy Russian
Nov 12, 2009
Israel
Maybe the "little floating thing" thats in the tank (don't know how its called in English) is stuck, try filling full tank it may get released. if not i think the dealer/service is your next stop.

Generic

2010 Ibiza FR 2.0 TDi
Nov 16, 2009
Grantham
Maybe the "little floating thing" thats in the tank (don't know how its called in English) is stuck, try filling full tank it may get released. if not i think the dealer/service is your next stop.

Either that or by a slim chance of fortune Seat has created perpetual energy?

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
The future of fuel efficiency has arrived. SEAT have finally created perpetual energy!!! I hope my BOCA comes with that hehehehehe

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
What engine does it have, Im guessing petrol? If it's a diesel then 250km/150 miles is about a 1/4-1/3 of a tank. On my mk4 the gauge will not move for around the first 250 miles of the tank. Having said that I have done the ventectomy mod so there's about another two gallons on top of the normal ten when it's full.

halflife

Now I've driven 350km and it dropped by a quarter.
And I just remembered something odd, last Thursday was when I filled the tank, while driving I noticed that the cost was irregularly high, and after checking I noticed that the gas machine filled my car with 51 liters of petrol - when I only have 45!!!
I thought at first that the machine was broken and moved on. only now I think those events are connected!

How weird is that? Perhaps I got an experimental SC? :p

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
It's possible to fill the expansion tank by mistake if you press the valve inside the filler neck - the most i've put in mine is 56 litres

halflife

But doesn't the reserve tank should be invisible to me? the car shouldn't drive on it, and right now it seems like it drove on th reserve before driving on the normal tank.

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
It's not a reserve tank it's an expansion tank, so it's the last thing to get filled up and the first thing to empty. So your gauge reads full for longer as there normal tank remains at a high level while the expansion tank empties.

Cars don't generally have a reserve tank anymore. I think the idea of "reserve fuel" nowadays is what you have left when the fuel gauge is at the bottom or the "miles left" on the computer reaches zero.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.