New User, Taking delivery this weekend - Winter Tyres Question

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
Hi,

I'm new to the forums, however my Fiancee has owned a Silver Seat Leon MK2 2.0 TDI Sport for the past two years. We live in the UK - North East area and have just traded this in for a new Seat Leon MK3 1.4 TSI FR in Alor Blue! We have spec'd the following and are taking delivery this weekend on a 14 plate:

Technology Pack (free from dealer)
18" performance Alloys.
LED Interior Pack
Convenience Pack
Alcantara Seats

The good lady will have the pleasure of driving this on a daily basis, although I am certainly interested in one for myself, but i am a year or so off a change from my BMW F20 120d.

I have a quick question regarding Winter Tyres and 16" Steel wheels on the new leon, hopefully someone has some experience on this:

I purchased a set of 16" steel wheels with Hankook Winter I'cept Evo tyres when i owned a Golf Mk6 2.0 TDI. After selling the Golf, and realising they would fit on our MK2 leon (since the hubs are identical), they have been on for the past two winters and make a definite difference when it snows (we get alot as we live high and remote). My question is - Will these fit on the MK3 leon 1.4 FR TSI, my main concern is the brake disc and caliper sizes as i understand they are too large for 16" rims on some of the larger engines. The wheel and tyre configuration is as follows:

205/55/r16 Hankook Tyres.
Offset 50
PCD 5 x 112
Using Original Bolts.
6.5" x 16.

Has anyone ran this setup on their 1.4TSI?

I look forward to many years of talking with you guys :thumbup:

Thanks, Ben

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
I am in a similar situation. I would like to carry over some Audi A3 alloy wheels with Toyo SnowProx tyres that I currently run on my Mk5 Golf 1.9 TDI. We are hoping to take delivery of a new Leon FR 1.8TSi in April.

You should be OK with caliper clearance as the 1.4TSi runs the same 288mm front disks as your Golf 2.0 TDI. Our 1.8TSi will have the larger 312mm disks but I think we should have clearance as the space saver wheel is 16" unless I am mistaken.

The only remaining question is whether the 6.5J x 16 wheels with 205/55R16 tyres are an approved size for cars that leave the factory with 225/45R17 tyres on 7.5J x 17" wheels. I posed the question here a couple of weeks ago but have no answer as yet.

SEAT customer services just trotted out the standard 17" and 18" wheel and summer tyres sizes when I phoned them last week - not convinced that they are correct.

Apparently the EU/EC Certificate of Conformity should declare the approved sizes for winter tyres for a given model. I will pester the dealer for a copy when I take my reg plate retention certificate in next week.

Last edited:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Should be fine to bolt straight on as long as the wheels clear the disks which they most likely will :)

The radius of your 16" wheels/tyres are very close to the standard wheels, just a tiny bit smaller but will be fine to use.
Look here and see for yourself :)

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Just pop in the current and new sizes to see the difference :)

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
yeah, even the oem 16"s are meant to fit over the 312mm brakes on the more powerful cars

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.