New Weitec Hicon GTN suspension fitted

bluenose

Jul 22, 2002
north wales
Visit site
Ok! As the title suggests, I now have new Weitec Hicon GTN suspension fitted.
The car has 85,000miles on the clock and was beginning to feel it's age in the handling department. "Spirited" driving was becoming a little bit hairy, especially when cornering and braking. The car used to pitch and wallow quite alarmingly. So new suspension, top mounts and wishbones ordered and fitted.

A few pics before and after of the car.

A bit like Christmas when the courier arrived with the box.

new_delivery2.jpg

I'd spent the previous 3 days clearing out the junk room (garage) in readiness for the upcoming work.

Before pics - notice the 4x4/tractor stance.

before_side.jpg

before_front.jpg

before_rear.jpg

After pics - a vast improvement.

after_side.jpg

after_front.jpg

after_rear.jpg

I realise this isn't slammed (as is the current trend) but this is a daily driver, with passengers. Front and rear suspension were left at the middle settings when fitted (straight out of the box), which according to Weitec gives a 50mm drop.
Also, 20mm hubcentric rear wheel spacers to go back on.
Handling and stability under braking is 100% better, although it was always going to be considering how knackered the old suspension was. Lets just say that the old dampers weren't damping. Pictures to follow soon of shiny new Weitec versus aged VW!!!
The ride is comfortable and firms up nicely when it has to, without being crashy. Didn't want to run around like the bouncy, slammed Saxo and Corsa brigade!!!!!
Well, what can I say? I haven't stopped grinning yet and now it's any excuse to go out in the car. A trip to the papershop is costing me a couple of gallons of petrol a time and it's only a 2 minute walk from the house!!!

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Been really considering the Weitec stuff, looks really good was just worried no-one had experience of the non adjustable coilovers, pity I'm on the other side of the country or I'd come over for a ride!!

Where'd you source them?

smash_3000

it looks like its been lowered about 35 mm, nice though, i wana get some coili's soon

Mckellar

50mm would bring the arch lip just above the tyre, u could fit a full hand under the arch just there.

wait til it settles a bit after some driving and see if its any lower.

Looks better than the tractor it was before

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
I must admit that does look good
The Wietec`s are prooving to be a cracking price and quality , but then when they are made by KW you would not expect anything else :thumbup: looks good
Sarah

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
i got non adjustable springs and shocks from weitec.. £300.. i realise i could have bought some cheap ass coilovers for around this price but im kinda hoping the cost reflects the quality.. i also got mine from awsome via this forum.. then after spending 300 notes on it.. fitted it fine and did the tracking by eye :whistle:

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
i got non adjustable springs and shocks from weitec.. £300.. i realise i could have bought some cheap ass coilovers for around this price but im kinda hoping the cost reflects the quality.. i also got mine from awsome via this forum.. then after spending 300 notes on it.. fitted it fine and did the tracking by eye :whistle:

I wouldn't worry good quality fixed kit like the Weitec stuff will be much better on the handling AND ride front that Cheap coilovers.
I'm saving that bit longer as this is a long term runabout for me so a decent set of coily's are essential as hopefully have this Ibiza for years as so I can have hugely impractical cars, I want an Elise in the not to distant future.

bluenose

Jul 22, 2002
north wales
Visit site
Been really considering the Weitec stuff, looks really good was just worried no-one had experience of the non adjustable coilovers, pity I'm on the other side of the country or I'd come over for a ride!!

Where'd you source them?

Very pleased with the build quality on them. Loving the green springs :D and impressed with the chunky square thread adjustment on the front. Rears are standardish looking shocks and springs but with an adjustable spring seat. How they'll last up to our winters? I'll let you know next year.
Got them from europerformance.co.uk (£325 + £12p&p)

I'll stick my neck out here and say that doesn't look like its been lowered 50mm

Looks nice tho

I think they estimate the drops from a standard Ibiza height. I also mixed up front and back adjustment figures and got my sums wrong :redface:. Possibly working out at 40mm(ish). I measured (before and after) from the centre of the wheel up to the arch. Original was 360mm front and it's now at 330mm. This makes a 30mm drop from the standard Cupra suspension. Plus whatever the standard Cupra is lower than a normal Ibiza and you'll get the actual drop.

50mm would bring the arch lip just above the tyre, u could fit a full hand under the arch just there.

wait til it settles a bit after some driving and see if its any lower.

Looks better than the tractor it was before

Didn't want to lower too far, although the urge was very high when I first dropped it off the axle stands. It was sat quite high but a few miles of negotiating speed humps with a passenger helped to settle it to this height. It's going in tonight to have the camber and tracking sorted properly, then I can try the car out "properly" :whistle: .Will have to see how much further it settles then but I'm pleased with the overall look so far. Never was a big fan of tractors :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the comments so far. Glad you like it.

Mckellar

I wouldn't worry good quality fixed kit like the Weitec stuff will be much better on the handling AND ride front that Cheap coilovers.
I'm saving that bit longer as this is a long term runabout for me so a decent set of coily's are essential as hopefully have this Ibiza for years as so I can have hugely impractical cars, I want an Elise in the not to distant future.

dont base your facts on numerical figures. (prices)

ive had "cheap ass coilovers" on my car since the 2nd week i bought my car and they have proven to be better than the £500 highsport FK coilovers i previously had.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
to be honest i do know what you mean, my mate spent £800 yes 800 on all singing all dancing coilovers.. recently one blew an oil seal they are a year old so we read the thing on them..

off road use only ie.. track use these things cant take uk roads.. pot holes speed bumps curbs ... at least if you buy a "cheaper set" mite be a bit softer and useable?

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland

ive had "cheap ass coilovers" on my car since the 2nd week i bought my car and they have proven to be better than the £500 highsport FK coilovers i previously had.

I will second this. I bought a pretty cheap Evo-Sport suspension kit for my car and it seems alright. I know i need 2 new rear struts but that isnt because of the quality of the kit (German Kit so its good quality). That was due to the idiot who collected my car from my housef rom the garage i used to use when my car was going in to get the pedal box issue solved. He went to quick over a speed bump, hence rupturing the internals of the rear,driver side strut, which means that it is now leaking.

Hence why i now use a different garage!!

bluenose

Jul 22, 2002
north wales
Visit site
thinking of getting these for my mk2 Golf project, are these an offer price, or are they just cheap... Also when fitting coilovers do u just need top mounts.. ie no bump stops or anything.

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pa...ar=vwgolf2&manufacturer=weitec&sub_category=1

The price has been the same for a while. Seems a good price for a decent piece of kit. :)
With my Weitec GTN kit, the fronts are coilovers and came with their own bumpstops already fitted. I bought and fitted new top mounts and bearings.
The rears are close to a standard shock and spring set up, so I re-used the original bumpstops, covers, rubber spring caps and metal spring plates. :confused: That will all make sense when you dismantle the rears. Again, I bought and fitted new top mounts.

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham

Only going on personal experience, had some cheap stuff (Jamex) was so crap it made the car unstable on my favourite B roads so swapped it for Knoi Shocks and Eibach springs and it was far far better!

Never had coilovers but seen a few of these 'Cheap' sets and the build quality looks superb for the price, still going to spend that extra £80-90 for KW know how (personally wouldn't touch FK general quality doesn't match the price)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.