New Windscreen mk2 Tolly

seasiders1987

Does anyone know how much it will cost for a new windscreen for a mk2 toledo?
Or, if i ring insurance will i lose my no clamis and have to pay my excess?

It happened tonight when a fly was doing my mates head in... so he "tappped" the windscreen and it cracked...

Cheers for the help

Dan

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I've no idea how much one costs I'm afraid. However, assuming you are fully comp you normally have windscreen cover. Some policies charge nothing but most will charge an excess in the region of £50-£70 (normally less than the excess you have for damage to the rest of the car). Claiming for windscreen will not affect your no claims. Just ring your insurer and they'll sort it out.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
did he tap it with a lump hammer?

As above, as long as you don't claim for 'lots' of glass you'll be OK - I did three glass claims in a year & they were cool with it

seasiders1987

cheers guys. Just rang up autoglass and its goin to cost £75 excess and their replacing it on tuesday

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I only have third party insurance, so had to pay full price for the screen. For the V5, with the rain sensor and all stuff, I had to pay £205 from Auto Windscreens. Autoglass quoted me £550!!!

The annoying thing is that fully comp insurance for me is only £230, but because I had third party cover on my old car I couldn't upgrade without losing half a years NCD.

One tip, check the wipers are secure after they've finished. I had one of mine come free of the splines at 80, in heavy rain.

seasiders1987

I only have third party insurance, so had to pay full price for the screen. For the V5, with the rain sensor and all stuff, I had to pay £205 from Auto Windscreens. Autoglass quoted me £550!!!

The annoying thing is that fully comp insurance for me is only £230, but because I had third party cover on my old car I couldn't upgrade without losing half a years NCD.

One tip, check the wipers are secure after they've finished. I had one of mine come free of the splines at 80, in heavy rain.

Thats abit wrong about the NCD... and ill remeber to check the wipers cheers

richellis

Feb 29, 2008
Cannock
and the washers. they did not bother to reconect mine, and I found this out in the fast lane of the M5 when my screen got covered in S***.
Lost 2 hours waiting for breakdown to come as we where off on our hols......

seasiders1987

and the washers. they did not bother to reconect mine, and I found this out in the fast lane of the M5 when my screen got covered in S***.
Lost 2 hours waiting for breakdown to come as we where off on our hols......

Autoglass do this?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Thats abit wrong about the NCD... and ill remeber to check the wipers cheers

Perhaps I should clarify my awkward insurance position. I think its due to me going for the dirt cheap insurance for my previous car. The fully comp insurance with my current insurer is absolutely ridiculous, to a point where the extra premium and admin charges would make it not worth it. To get the reasonable price I'd have had to change insurers. And as I'm halfway through the year, I'd have had to cancel the old policy, lose the six months NCD, and start again with a new twelve month policy.

Does that make a bit more sense? :D

I don't remember my fitter disconnecting the washer jets? Although he did have to take a whole load of trim off, including the strip of rubber that runs along the top of the engine bay.

richellis

Feb 29, 2008
Cannock
yep, auto glass did balls up.
They did refund my excess, + a little extra (£40) for the hassle, I phoned them when I got back and they offered the refund before I asked for my money back!