Newbie Help -Ignition Coil for V5 Toledo

Chesterboy

Hi all,

Been reading all the posts for a while now and decided to take the plunge and join proper like :p Especially as i need you advice ;)

Just bought a 51 plate v5 but polution like on constantly. Independent garage ( with half price diagnostics :) ) have issue as corroded coil pack and spark plugs BUT they are unable to souce!! So its sat waiting at the garage. Ive had a poke about and can find ignition packs but not coil packs, are these the same thing and i`m just being nieve?

Many thanks

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
If its a 51 plate, that should be the 170 engine? If so, then the coil pack and ignition pack are all the same unit, and it sits on the plug.

GSF is your best place to get them from, they're very much a weak point of the engine and are usually in stock. They sell two versions, a no-name one and a Bosch one. One is cheaper, the other will work properly. You can probably guess which one I suggest... :)

ironside

Dec 8, 2006
Hi Chesterboy, you need to know which engine you have as the coils are totally different,if your plugleads run over the engine cover it is a 150bhp engine this has a coil unit with all 5 coils in 1 ,if the leads go under the cover its a 170 bhp (20v) unit these use individual coils on each lead where they go onto the sparkplug,as slimy says GSF are usually best bet,a 51 plate could be either type as this was around the time Seat were selling both engine types
Use the search function there are loads of threads on this subject some with pics to help identify your engine
Cant see why a garage would have any difficulty sourcing these,many AA patrols even carry the individual ones as spares they are that common a faliure as well as being used on loads of other VAG engines!

Hope this helps

Dave

Chesterboy

Thanks both for the advice...parts in on Fri and fixed :) Well for now lol.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.