Nitrogen filled tyres!

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
just been looking for a good price on some pirelli rosso tyres and have seen the option to have them filled with nitrogen???

I have never seen this before. Apparantley it improves liife of the tyre.
Has anyone had this? Any views on this?

Thanks chris

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
I think its more benificial on a track day when the tyres get warm the nitrogen reacts differently with regards to psi increasing or something :lol:.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Bit of a gimmick really - might be worth it in F1 where 10th's of seconds make a difference but for pottering to work and to the shops every day I really wouldn't bother! :)

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
I know it holds the pressure for longer, but if/when you have to pump your tyres up are you gonna get the foot pump out (2 minute job) or head on down to kwik-fit (£1 a tyre for Nitrogen iirc)

tackleberry83

Mar 24, 2008
surbiton surrey
I been running nitrogen filled tires for a couple of years now and as nitrogen is so dense it will not escape through the rubber. But the only down side is when the cold weather comes as nitrogen expands with the cold and it makes driving in the snowy icy conditions even harder.

But over all it's vert good for low profile tyres as it keeps the pressure well regulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeanJ

black topped
Oct 26, 2006
Birmingham
Got it in all of mine as Kwikfit did it for no extra when I got them to fit my tyres (supplied by me) I've had it topped up for free too by another kwikfit. Not noticed any difference but was told the pressure wouldn't change so much between winter and summer like air does.

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
I have been using 100% pure Nitrogen for nearly a year now in my Cupra tyres.
I did a track day recently and it really reduced the big swing of temperature and tyre pressures.
Better still, the normal road use of the gas results in less tyre wear as the pressure remains less varied, so the tyre shape is more constant. Your wheels are not in contact with a gas containing water (air) so wheel corrosion is eliminated.
You don't have to check the tyres as often and I haven't needed to top-up mine since the Nitrogen was used.
Best of all, in event of tyre damage or a puncture, the tyre will deflate more slowly due to the denser mollecules, resulting in less risk of an instant BANG ! big blowout at speed.
Not bad for £1 a wheel ! :D

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
The AA have a write up on this somewhere. They basically say it`s not worth it. The air we breath is 80% nitrogen. All is well until you need to add some more air, by using your footpump you will undo all the minimal benefits in one go. Therefore you really need to go to a garage with nitrogen every time you check them. There are obviously benefits in motorsport, but everyday stuff then no, was their answer so I didn`t bother this week when I had my new tyres.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
Best of all, in event of tyre damage or a puncture, the tyre will deflate more slowly due to the denser mollecules, resulting in less risk of an instant BANG ! big blowout at speed.
Not bad for £1 a wheel ! :D

ROFL that's the biggest load of poop I've read in a while. How big do you think these molecules are!?! I assure you flying out of a pin hole there won't be that much different if any at all, so in the event of a blow out, there definitely wont be any difference

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
As said above, normal air is > 70% nitrogen - I'd imagine the difference would be unnoticable. And I can think of better things to spend my £4 on :).
If you're that bothered about dense gas in your tyres, why not get them Radon filled?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
ROFL that's the biggest load of poop I've read in a while. How big do you think these molecules are!?! I assure you flying out of a pin hole there won't be that much different if any at all, so in the event of a blow out, there definitely wont be any difference

I was gonna say the same, If you get a blow out it's normally due to a gash in the tyre an inch long or so. I think nitrogen molecules are a tad smaller than that and so will escape with ease.

I have regular air in my tyres and I do about 1k miles a week, I visually check them every week to see if they look soft and TBH I don't ever need to top them up between tyre changes. Waste of a quid IMO, better off with a Mayo Chicken burger :yes:

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
Er, - we are all entitled to our opinions guys, buy I was quoting well known scientific facts.

Pure Nitrogen mollecules are much denser than air and that is why the tyres will retain their pressure for much longer due to the reduced ability for the gas to escape round the seal with the rim. Air in your tyres will be around 5% water, and thats a lot !
Inflation with Ni will eliminate this. Nitrogen filled tyres don't lose pressure like air-filled ones do. Having used it for a year, I can confirm this, so am not quoting what I think will happen, but my own experience.
Of course, you mustn't top up with any air from your foot pump, as that would ruin the effect.

Percentages in science don't work like the General Election - majorities don't automatically rule.
The difference between air (only 78% Ni) and 100% Ni is light-years apart in terms of characteristics...- Would you want to breathe 100% pure Ni to prove the point ?

Didn't think so... ;)

Considering all the other costly additions to our Leons, I don't see how the cost of a couple of beers can get people so negative, perhaps many of us fear things we don't understand...

The world is actually round, you know...Still,- enjoy your beers... :lol:

Last edited:

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
Er, - we are all entitled to our opinions guys, buy I was quoting well known scientific facts.

Pure Nitrogen mollecules are much denser than air and that is why the tyres will retain their pressure for much longer due to the reduced ability for the gas to escape round the seal with the rim. Air in your tyres will be around 5% water, and thats a lot !
Inflation with Ni will eliminate this. Nitrogen filled tyres don't lose pressure like air-filled ones do. Having used it for a year, I can confirm this, so am not quoting what I think will happen, but my own experience.

The world is actually round, you know...Still,- enjoy your beers... :lol:

Nitrogen's covalent radius is 75pm so the length of a nitrogen (N2) molecule ought to be 4 X 75pm or 300 pm. A molecule of oxygen (O2) ought to be just a shade smaller 4 X 73pm or 292pm. So an oxygen molecule is a little less than 3% smaller than a nitrogen molecule. So much denser is a load of rubbish

Last edited:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Nitrogen's covalent radius is 75pm so the length of a nitrogen (N2) molecule ought to be 4 X 75pm or 300 pm. A molecule of oxygen (O2) ought to be just a shade smaller 4 X 73pm or 292pm. So an oxygen molecule is a little less than 3% smaller than a nitrogen molecule. So much denser is a load of rubbish

AND, I have to agree that the likelihood it will deflate slower in a puncture is just not feasible. Rip a tyre wall and almost any gas will escape as fast as it can. Only an internal tyre sealant (which I don't recommend) would slow it.

The only part I agree with with respect to Nitrogen being any better is it might help to keep consistency of tyre pressures as there aren't a mix of gases in the tyre, BUT then what happens to the ambient ait that gets trapped inside the tyre when its fitted? Do they suck that out and replace it with Nitrogen? If not, your getting a mix anyway.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.