No boost + loud screeching noise?

fstsven

Nov 6, 2013
This morning my car (FR 1.4tsi) suddenly made a loud "screeching/whining" noise under hard acceleration and lost power. Every time I go above 3000 rpm, the noise returns and the power dies away. No obvious smoke from exhaust though. Turbo boost hose leak? What do you think? Thanks

JMWalton

Feb 25, 2014
Loud screeching noise ..... Tends to lean towards the turbo/turbo bearings. When you say screech do you mean like a metal on metal sound or more of a air whistle effect ? If it's a whistle it will be a split boost hose :) hope it's not your turbo mate

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

fstsven

Nov 6, 2013
It's more of a (loud!) air whistle noise. It idles fine, although starting takes some cranking. Closer inspection yesterday also revealed small puffs of blue/black smoke from exhaust while idling as well as revving... I take this is not a good sign?
Can't take it to the garage before wednesday (they're closed for Easter)...

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
In that case it sounds like a boost hose has popped off.

Follow the pipes back from the front intercooler and look at each joint till you find the one that has come apart.

jellybabybandit

May 1, 2007
Also check the pipes for any splits in them. Might be hard to see at first as the splits sometimes done become visable till under load on the road

JMWalton

Feb 25, 2014
In that case it sounds like a boost hose has popped off.

Follow the pipes back from the front intercooler and look at each joint till you find the one that has come apart.

+1 spray abit of oil/split finder or something on there see if it bubbles ;)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

cuprat

Stage 2 rs3
Mar 27, 2008
aberdeen
Sounds to me like either the bearing in turbo collapsed or the impellor nut has came off. remove the intake pipe and check. I had a cupra like this at work with collapsed bearing with no boost and screeching noise

Last edited:

fstsven

Nov 6, 2013
Dealer confirmed: the turbo has gone... Luckily it's still under warranty, otherwise it would have been a 1700 euros bill. Am I the only one to think this is early for a turbo to go on a 37k kms car that isn't remapped, is always properly warmed up before driven hard and always allowed to cool down afterwards? Just bad luck I suppose, or does it happen regularly?

Last edited: