noise when starting!!

aaronjules

hi, i get a really loud fast tapping noise when starting, it only lasts around two seconds. it starts loud then dies down with the revs. its very consistent so i don't think its a heat shield or some thing loose, (may be wrong) sounds horrible and every1 comments, (people say it sounds like a tractor!):confused: any ideas??

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
Drained cam followers can rattle on startup, mine do it a few secs if its not been driven a few days,

what make & grade oil are you using?

aaronjules

only had the car a couple of weeks so haven't changed it yet, do you think i should change it then?

aaronjules

i dnt think its damaging just makes the car sound like a old banger, people slagging it off pisses me off more!! [:@]

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
I think he means more of a rattle than a whine. The older Evo's do it as well, the oil drains back out of the followers if left standing, no big deal really. I only use mine at the weekends, so it sits all week which is what I attribute the rattle do. It goes almost instantly.

aaronjules

i suppose it does whine down with the revs but its only when you start it up, when the rev counter goes up then drops,(very loud) only a second or two. the thing is i drive the car every day to work, it does even after a long drive.:confused: the oil is just over half, shall i top?? if so will 10/40 be ok?

2footpegs

Jan 17, 2009
could it be the oil pump not working 100% therfore not getting the oil around faster enough on start up?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members