noob needs a little help

mawdryn

Hello,

First post here, so greets to all

I have a couple of (hopefully) simple questions

firstly, I have a 1995 Seat Toledo GLX 2.0 litre and was wondering what VW/Audi they are based on... My understanding is a VW Jetta III or a VW Vento (I don't think they have Jetta's here in Australia)

Secondly, My car is giving me a lot of grief... it's almost a death trap... very sluggish and jerky from a standing start or from very low speeds (under 30km), intermittently backfires when accelerating, and seems to bounce at highway speeds (around 110km). This usually only occurs after the car has warmed up.

Biggest problem is that there are no longer any Seat dealerships around here and all of the local mechanics claim that they do not have the equipment to talk to diagnose these cars, so I've been basically left high and dry.

so i've been doing a *lot* of googling and many people have had similar symptoms with other makes and models and found them to be caused by the oxygen sensor. would anyone here care to comment on the possibility of this? - On the same subject, what is the difference between an oxygen sensor and a lambda probe?

I've also heard a lot about coil packs... what's the deal there? I've had this car for 6 years without an issue before now.. should I be looking out for this?

I welcome any comments. Thanks heaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bunglebonce

Bunglebonce
Jan 21, 2005
The Blackcountry
Welocome

Hi mate,
just had a quick look on honest john and it says the jetta is the equiv vw model - which should also tally as a mk 3 golf.

Im sure there will be somone who can give you a lot more useful info than me along soon - so hang in there :)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if it helps at all

Coil packs - dont panic that particular item is not fitted to your car - only the later ones mainly the 20vt's suffer

i love the tech's no way of talking excuse - what is this trade coming too (wasters)

not so sure on year if yours is single or multi point so a picture of your bay will help if possible

anyway if single point run it up to warm as usual when you get problems and if you can get some (eezi-start or similar) spray as localised as possible in short bursts around the inlet side to check for leaks - dont go mad as it is flammable mind - the engine note/revs will rise if you do find one and the gasket/seal at the bottom of the injector unit is common to split

secondly - single or multi - look on the water housing at the front of the block (follow the radiator hose back) for a 4 pin sensor with a coloured band round it - if the car is suffering - disconnect it and try again leaving the engine running if you can - you may notice all is fine if so you need a new sensor - take it out and you will see it's VAG part number on the side which any VAG group dealer/supplier should be able to get

hope it helps

mawdryn

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate it. :)

I'll try your suggestions fl@pper and see what happens.. I post back with the results

mawdryn

Before looking at the forums here, I didn't realise these cars were so complex :confused: . My last car was a 1985 Toyota... no efi or ecu or other silly acronyms :blink:

Another thing I'd really appreciate is some help with is the ecu.

If I was to order the VAG-COM to check the error codes, i'm guessing I would need the 2x2 adapter as 12/1994 build would be pre ODB-II?. Whatever the case, where would I find the connectors in the car to connect to the VAG?

If I did use the VAG-COM, and it found some faults, can the VAG clear the codes or would I have to find a dealer somewhere to do it?

mawdryn

fl@pper:

This car has a multipoint efi system, so should I still try your first suggestion?

I also had a look for those four wire sensors around the radiator hose port on the front of the engine block. There are actually two of these next to each other, one with a yellow band and one with a brown band. Unplugging either or both did not appear to affect the idle performance (which alternates between smooth and rough ). I did not try this with the car in motion. should I?

From looking at other posts where people have experienced similar symptoms, I disconnected the plug from the black box on the air filter unit (I'm assuming this is the MAF?) and the idle went really bad which indicates that unit is ok?

I'll try to get a photo taken of the engine bay for you.

Lale

Hi mawdryn,

Do you still have your SEAT or it is blue one I just bought on e-bay. Have similar problems you described. Would like to hear from you.

Hello,

First post here, so greets to all

I have a couple of (hopefully) simple questions

firstly, I have a 1995 Seat Toledo GLX 2.0 litre and was wondering what VW/Audi they are based on... My understanding is a VW Jetta III or a VW Vento (I don't think they have Jetta's here in Australia)

Secondly, My car is giving me a lot of grief... it's almost a death trap... very sluggish and jerky from a standing start or from very low speeds (under 30km), intermittently backfires when accelerating, and seems to bounce at highway speeds (around 110km). This usually only occurs after the car has warmed up.

Biggest problem is that there are no longer any Seat dealerships around here and all of the local mechanics claim that they do not have the equipment to talk to diagnose these cars, so I've been basically left high and dry.

so i've been doing a *lot* of googling and many people have had similar symptoms with other makes and models and found them to be caused by the oxygen sensor. would anyone here care to comment on the possibility of this? - On the same subject, what is the difference between an oxygen sensor and a lambda probe?

I've also heard a lot about coil packs... what's the deal there? I've had this car for 6 years without an issue before now.. should I be looking out for this?

I welcome any comments. Thanks heaps.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members