Not why you buy a CUPRA but...

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Please Please Please stop using supermaket 95ron fuel in the Cupra!!!

Minimum fuel quality should always be 97ron these high compression direct injection engines don't fair well on poor fuel quality it doe smore harm than good even if you driving like Mrs Daisy

How many EA888 engines have you damaged with 95 RON fuel?

Deleted member 103408

Just to add into the Mix I am running a Stage 3 tune on the engine / dsg and I can still get 38mpg going from Hull to Blackpool on the motorway, On the Track the best i got has been 11 mpg but I am trying to beat that.

Fuel consumption in my case is very much about the right foot and driving style

DougCupra280

Feb 17, 2019
Just to add into the Mix I am running a Stage 3 tune on the engine / dsg and I can still get 38mpg going from Hull to Blackpool on the motorway, On the Track the best i got has been 11 mpg but I am trying to beat that.

Fuel consumption in my case is very much about the right foot and driving style
Do you still get driving modes on a tuned car? I wondered if it were possible just to get the CUPRA mode tuned. Be nice to be able to turn these things on an off.

Deleted member 103408

yes you still get driving modes as they impact engine, suspension, steering, air con etc difference is base power is higher than stock but fuel economy is driven by you right foot just like a stock car.

Stoob

Apr 21, 2018
How does coasting improve fuel economy? I was always under the impression that in a "normal" car when not accelerating (ie slowing down for a junction or going downhill) the engine management shut off fuel going to the engine. My last car was an insignia and when slowing down or going downhill the fuel usage showed 99.9mpg and on my Astra it showed 0.

Reactions: LouG

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Speaking of economy, I realized that I forgot to post this one of my consumption at the ice track:

0b5Geas.jpg

Different type of consumption achievement, I guess... ;)

Reactions: LouG

silky16v

#VagDoctor
Jan 26, 2017
Why do you need 98?

Engines are damaged as the poor fuel quality is blocking the DI filter baskets and thus running the engine lean and causing accelerated engine wear, the cases on the EA888 gen3 aren’t as bad as the previous generation
But I’ve now seen two EA888 engines with excess oil usage and worn piston crowns due to poor fuel and people running injector cleaner

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Spend £XXXXXX on a car and worry about pennies on fuel! Some of the figures here better the wife’s 1.4act and my Honda does maybe 26 average, although often in the teens, Honda recommend 98 ron for it and that’s what I put in, surely they know best?

Skyscraper120

Feb 13, 2019
How does coasting improve fuel economy? I was always under the impression that in a "normal" car when not accelerating (ie slowing down for a junction or going downhill) the engine management shut off fuel going to the engine. My last car was an insignia and when slowing down or going downhill the fuel usage showed 99.9mpg and on my Astra it showed 0.

Modern engines as you say shut off fuel so when you let off the accelerator, the wheels drive the engine so and no fuel is used at all, but there is still a lot of energy used to turn the engine, when costing in Neutral, there is less friction thus the car rolls further and modern cars use so little fuel when idling now anyway so it could actually be better than coasting in gear as you can potentially roll much further.

For what its worth, I’ve achieved 58MPG in a 1.8 Polo GTI over 45 miles from cold which is ridiculous frankly, this was nearly all motorway and coasting in gear when I can

phate101101

Oct 6, 2015
Modern engines as you say shut off fuel so when you let off the accelerator, the wheels drive the engine so and no fuel is used at all, but there is still a lot of energy used to turn the engine, when costing in Neutral, there is less friction thus the car rolls further and modern cars use so little fuel when idling now anyway so it could actually be better than coasting in gear as you can potentially roll much further.

For what its worth, I’ve achieved 58MPG in a 1.8 Polo GTI over 45 miles from cold which is ridiculous frankly, this was nearly all motorway and coasting in gear when I can
That's not coasting though is it? Coasting means the flywheel is disengaged, e.g, like pushing the clutch in in a manual.

The advantage as I see it is it reduces friction and you don't get engine braking and thus get more speed downhill for free.

Some annoying things though is that if you break it reengages the gear and won't coast until you accelerate again, annoying when following someone downhill whom is engine braking.
Or when I start my car I need to switch from and to individual mode in order for E gear to show, otherwise it's in D even though it's set to ECO. (I assume everyone sees this and I don't have a problem?)

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Engines are damaged as the poor fuel quality is blocking the DI filter baskets and thus running the engine lean and causing accelerated engine wear, the cases on the EA888 gen3 aren’t as bad as the previous generation
But I’ve now seen two EA888 engines with excess oil usage and worn piston crowns due to poor fuel and people running injector cleaner
Worn piston crowns? Do you mean detonation damage? If so, why didn't the ECU detect and prevent it?
I don't see how the engine can run lean when it's controlled by the O2 sensor. Eventually the ECU must go into limp mode, or stop.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand

No. It is still using fuel in neutral, no matter how far you roll. The display will show you in litres per hour how much it uses.
In any case, how far can you freewheel in modern traffic anyway?

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
I averaged 35 overall in my 290 in the 2 years I had it. On a decent long run 40 was often seen but any kind of hold up and slow stop start traffic soon took that below 35, like on the morning commute.
It got driven like it was supposed to when conditions allowed and I was in the mood.
Overall I was happy with 35 long term.

DougCupra280

Feb 17, 2019
That's not coasting though is it? Coasting means the flywheel is disengaged, e.g, like pushing the clutch in in a manual.

The advantage as I see it is it reduces friction and you don't get engine braking and thus get more speed downhill for free.

Some annoying things though is that if you break it reengages the gear and won't coast until you accelerate again, annoying when following someone downhill whom is engine braking.
Or when I start my car I need to switch from and to individual mode in order for E gear to show, otherwise it's in D even though it's set to ECO. (I assume everyone sees this and I don't have a problem?)
Yes same as me. - I find it annoying too.

silky16v

#VagDoctor
Jan 26, 2017
Worn piston crowns? Do you mean detonation damage? If so, why didn't the ECU detect and prevent it?
I don't see how the engine can run lean when it's controlled by the O2 sensor. Eventually the ECU must go into limp mode, or stop.

Sorry worry piston skirts, to my knowledge the Lambda on these cars aren't wide band so how can it control a LEAN wide open situation, EGT's and knock control but by the time you have got that Scenario the damage is taking place and over time it just gets worse, just look at the previous Gen 2 EA888 engines, with failed/failing DI and worn pistons

And now the latest generation of engines have dropped direct Port Injection as well the age old carbon build up will be back

Anyhow the original post was running poor quality 96RON supermarket crap is not cost effective on these engines!
The fuel cap even states 98ron as a minimum quality that should be used.

Anyone running 95ron who feels their car is fine when they get on it won't be seeing the engine detect knock and starting to pull timings to compensate, constantly doing this over a period of time is not good for the engine, add in the fact you using crap fuel quality and deposits will build up on the DI baskets making the car run lean and the whole process goes around and around until something break!

This may not happen for some and there 3-4yr ownership from new will be good and once the car has gone back what do they care
But for me and many other we do care so run our car on the best fuels and shorter oil service intervals and on the better oils

If i was personally looking to buy a 3-4yr Cupra i know what sort of car i would prefer to buy

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise