Notchy 1st gear

Dillon Lawrence

Jun 24, 2018
Liking the car so far (FR 115 TSI), but has anyone noticed it being reluctant to go into 1st?

Seems to take 2-3 attempts sometimes and it feels like something is blocking it going in. I've had it partially engage and bounce out of gear when setting off too so I always make sure it's in.

georgee

Jul 2, 2018
Ibiza 115 TSI with 1700km here. I have the same observations, it's sometimes hard to shift to 1st but you kinda feel once it's "there". Will it smooth out with time?

Dillon Lawrence

Jun 24, 2018
Ibiza 115 TSI with 1700km here. I have the same observations, it's sometimes hard to shift to 1st but you kinda feel once it's "there". Will it smooth out with time?

Yes, after 2-3 attempts it goes in and feels like it's gone into gear properly (smooth).

I hope it does smooth out but I might mention it.

georgee

Jul 2, 2018
Yes, after 2-3 attempts it goes in and feels like it's gone into gear properly (smooth).

I hope it does smooth out but I might mention it.
Absolutely the same experience! Usually I force it a bit to "bite" from first try, hope that doesn't damage anything. :headhurt:Other gears are totally fine.

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Also noticeable on 6speed 1.8tsi, reverse too

Usually when cold, fine when it starts to warm up

georgee

Jul 2, 2018
I believe it might have something to do with auto start/stop so when the engine fires up after being off for a while 1st is hard to engage. It happens with engine always running though.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Mine is notchy getting 4th - it baulks fairly often. Gearshift adjustment is clearly required but I can't be arsed taking it to the dealer till service time.

Dillon Lawrence

Jun 24, 2018
Anything under around 6-7mph in 2nd causes it to stall I've found. Going into 1st while moving is usually nice and smooth

It's 1st and reverse that seem to have issues.

Today I tried putting into 1st which as usual took a couple of attempts (60% of the time I'd say until it warms up). After it went in I took it in and out of 1st repeatedly from 2nd, 3rd etc. with zero issues (clutch disengaged whole time).

Restarted the engine, selected 1st and suddenly it's notchy again.

If it doesn't improve I'll mention it.

Cerfwo

Feb 10, 2018
I would bring it up if half the time you can't get the gear in. My FR 115 is fine in all gears. Every now and again it refuses to "go in" to a gear but I just put that down to me pushing it at the wrong angle. Doesn't happen nearly often enough to be an issue.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.