Note for Ateca Cupra owners pre face lift Standard infotainment unit - posted map updates - 2021 Release

Tell

Staff member
I know there are a few Ateca Cupra owners outside Europe with the standard navigation unit (helped one at least), I've posted up the map update links to the 2021 files which includes the rest of the world files (ROW). Historically these have been tricky to find. You will need to read the resource link on the workaround and don't forget to take a copy of the SD card you will need it to proceed.

cupraatecastu

Jun 29, 2020
I know there are a few Ateca Cupra owners outside Europe with the standard navigation unit (helped one at least), I've posted up the map update links to the 2021 files which includes the rest of the world files (ROW). Historically these have been tricky to find. You will need to read the resource link on the workaround and don't forget to take a copy of the SD card you will need it to proceed.

Thanks Tell. I have read through this and the relevant resource section. Just to check my understanding (I have a March 2019 Cupra Ateca), following the instructions to ascertain which unit I have, I can see that it isn’t a mib2 standard or mib1 standard. I don’t have a card in the slot, so I have either a mib1 or Navi System Plus? In which case there isn’t anything I can do myself basically?
Thanks.

Tell

Staff member
I think you have the clock running against you for a free upgrade of the maps. You can read out the FEC navigation value following the resource. Last two characters and see whether you can get an update in. Suspect not since March 2019 with one year added would clearly put you out side of the one year complimentary Mapcare update possibility. It is the mib2 high you have on that. You will see the Jukebox listed on the Media button. That's the spare SSD memory in the unit that you can store music on in addition to SD card / USB - only the mib2 high has that feature, mib2 standard does not.

Then we get into torturous threads the latest is this:

I'm sure Polly had asked me that many months ago :). Attention to posts 29-36. You really need to take the retrofit route if you want the ability to update your high maps. If you get a retrofitter to give you this FEC you are good to the year 2074, although I think VAG won't be supporting Mib2 map updates by then (probably got 5 to 10 years to run on them updating mib2 high maps ... Suspect upper limit).

073000EE

You keep the hardware they alter the parameter file the unit reads. You can also have the firmware updated as well which might be offered. I mention the current release in that thread, 1447. That's the program that the infotainment system runs under. Any known bugs removed or improvements in functionality get put into these firmware updates. You might be on that release, you can check.

Nb mib1 was never fitted to Ateca Cupra's. All non face lifted Ateca Cupra's sold in the UK have the mib2 high (Seat calls Plus). In Europe to my knowledge they were mib2 highs. Outside of Europe, on this board the standard mib2 unit. Israel, Australia / NZ. Not sure why Seat didn't offer the high units in all regions. Mib2 high was treated as the luxury unit.

Last edited:

cupraatecastu

Jun 29, 2020
I think you have the clock running against you for a free upgrade of the maps. You can read out the FEC navigation value following the resource. Last two characters and see whether you can get an update in. Suspect not since March 2019 with one year added would clearly put you out side of the one year complimentary Mapcare update possibility. It is the mib2 high you have on that. You will see the Jukebox listed on the Media button. That's the spare SSD memory in the unit that you can store music on in addition to SD card / USB - only the mib2 high has that feature, mib2 standard does not.

Then we get into torturous threads the latest is this:

I'm sure Polly had asked me that many months ago :). Attention to posts 29-36. You really need to take the retrofit route if you want the ability to update your high maps. If you get a retrofitter to give you this FEC you are good to the year 2074, although I think VAG won't be supporting Mib2 map updates by then (probably got 5 to 10 years to run on them updating mib2 high maps ... Suspect upper limit).

073000EE

You keep the hardware they alter the parameter file the unit reads. You can also have the firmware updated as well which might be offered. I mention the current release in that thread, 1447. That's the program that the infotainment system runs under. Any known bugs removed or improvements in functionality get put into these firmware updates. You might be on that release, you can check.

Nb mib1 was never fitted to Ateca Cupra's. All non face lifted Ateca Cupra's sold in the UK have the mib2 high (Seat calls Plus). In Europe to my knowledge they were mib2 highs. Outside of Europe, on this board the standard mib2 unit. Israel, Australia / NZ. Not sure why Seat didn't offer the high units in all regions. Mib2 high was treated as the luxury unit.

Thanks Tell, much appreciated. I have looked at the FEC value, which is 1E (June 18). This means no releases were ever made available given my car is a 19-reg.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
New ones now (1730) for the pre FL standard one... just follow the link (June 2021 release) (all fine and dandy)

www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.388586/page-121#post-4971082

----

Unfortunately the Mib2 high ones haven't been released by Seat. What has been released by VW now doesn't contain the Seat part number so won't load. No news whether Seat plan to release one that works. They have an ambiguous page that tells you your current release is out of date (189) and to upgrade to 189... if you are before that and don't have mapcare then you would need it modded... they don't say that.

@Chillout has it working on his modded Mib2 high using his MIB Tool software and the Spanish Seat guy (the Spanish POI guy) on modded firmware. I know what to do but whether it works waiting for a period when I won't need navigation. The boards Retro-fitter sponsor associate hasn't got a unit to test it on. You install 1447 with the MIB Tool with the wind in the correct direction. Last time a different retrofitter updated my firmware they messed up TSR, took them four hours to sort it out. I would use them but probably use them to pick up any mess I make. If you live in the NE of England they would be happy to look at it (Ryan). Problem is I don't. So we don't have a test model.

Whether you can do it yourself is whether you have done a mib2 map update. If you made a pigs ear of that, don't think about it. Just may be Seat will release the update and save me from sleepless nights. For average guy best to get a retro-fitter to do paid firmware updates. If I have success I'll do a thread :). Not looking at it for six weeks or so. Mib2 high should top out at the 1447 firmware release so if you got the correct navigation FeCs you should be fine for updates for the next four years or so by my reckoning using the VW download.

Additional reading:

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I took a walk on the wild side and updated the FeCs myself with assistance from the M.I.B. community. Didn't cost anything. Decided not to be heroic and change the firmware at the same time just to adjust the FeCs.

》click link《

There are solutions for a set of firmware or you get the nice community to write you a dummy module which slots into the tool. Now I got life long Skoda navigation map updates till whenever VAG stop updating mib2. Probably 2025.