Odd Cooling Issue

AdamCupra

Hi Everyone, Ive got some odd problems with my car "1.8 20 vt cupra ibiza"

First of all, i had just started the car up this morning, it had been on approximatly 30 seconds, i heard some beeping and the little red warning light on my water temp display was flashing, however my water temperature was still stone cold, i gave a little rev and another 60 seconds later it went off.... this also happened again today while in traffic, however the temperature never moved above 90 degrees...

Second of all, when i first got the car the waterpump used to always run on after i switched the engine off... however now its intermitant.. when it does come on, the pump itself sounds like a bag of hammers... 'Queston, is it the main water pump that runs on or it there a secondary pump???'

Thirdly, when im on a motorway or traveling at a constant easy going speed, my engine doesnt hold it temperature... the car has done this since i have gotten it...

The reason why ive put all 3 issues up is that i believe that all the issues could all be related to one parramount issue...

Personally i think the car has a broken water pump and a broken thermostat... but if anyone here could shead some light on it, that would be fantastic....

also, wheres a good place to get a waterpump if it is that, which is broken... ' apart from the stealer'

Thanks in advance

Adam

EZ Tutty

Nov 21, 2006
Derby
www.eztutty.co.uk
Check the coolant level in the bottle... and try cleaning the 2 prongs that go to the sensor in the bottle.. it's likely the beeping and flashing is the coolant level sensor.

The main water pump runs off the cambelt so when the engine stops, the pump stops too, however the secondary water pump is under the slam panel, and are known for failing or being intermitant.. i had the same thing with mine.

not holding temperature on the motorway could be thermostat sticking open.

AdamCupra

Coolant level sensor... Never thought of that...

Thanks fella....

Will give it a try when i get in tonight

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
That coolant level sensor is causing me grief at the moment. With the current cold weather it is just enough to get the coolant level below a certain point. And with the prongs probably a bit crusty, it is enough to set the low fluid alarm off.

The first thing I did was add a tiny amount of G20 to the bottle, just to get it back into the clean bit of the prongs and silence the alarm. Then when it gets a bit warmer, I'm going to get a toothbrush in there and give them a good scrub.

AdamCupra

Well.... ive topped up the coolant.... lets see if the light comes on tonight during the drive home..

P.S. does anyone have the part number for a secondary water pump??? or best place to get them from?

thanks