Offensive number plate allocated on new car so in need of a private plate.

Carlosram

Sep 29, 2017
Derby
For those not already aware from the "Options affecting Lead times" thread,I have just been informed that my offensive number plate GK18 EDL cannot be changed as it had been registered to the car and taxed.

Looking at the DVLA website there are a few plates that are available that would suite my car especially it being an FR 1.8 the cheapest current ones on an 18 plate are £399 .

So these are the contenders and because they are personal to the car and not myself, I may get a little back on it in a few years when I sell the car.

FR18 FAN this is the front runner
FR18 RAM I would of had this one being a Derby County fan but as my wife has pointed out it may get vandalised in Nottingham.
FR18 BOY I am much to old for this one
FR18 BUD More of a real ale man though
FR18 BYE would be alright after it has been remapped when out of warranty, leaving boy racers in my wake ;-)
FR18 DAD a bit too pipe and slipper for a sporty looking car.

Pity can't get FR18 TSI that would have been brilliant, but I don't think that I is valid on the last 3 digits.

What do People think? Any other suggestions.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
For those not already aware from the "Options affecting Lead times" thread,I have just been informed that my offensive number plate GK18 EDL cannot be changed as it had been registered to the car and taxed.

Looking at the DVLA website there are a few plates that are available that would suite my car especially it being an FR 1.8 the cheapest current ones on an 18 plate are £399 .

So these are the contenders and because they are personal to the car and not myself, I may get a little back on it in a few years when I sell the car.

FR18 FAN this is the front runner

FR18 RAM I would of had this one being a Derby County fan but as my wife has pointed out it may get vandalised in Nottingham.

FR18 BOY I am much to old for this one

FR18 BUD More of a real ale man though

FR18 BYE would be alright after it has been remapped when out of warranty, leaving boy racers in my wake ;-)

FR18 DAD a bit too pipe and slipper for a sporty looking car.

Pity can't get FR18 TSI that would have been brilliant, but I don't think that I is valid on the last 3 digits.

What do People think? Any other suggestions.

Maybe FR18 FAB? Or FR18 FAV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upthere

Jul 10, 2017
One of those plates wont make any difference to the price of the car when you come to sell it. Your best bet would be to get something personal to you, maybe spend a few more £ and get something you can put on your next car.

Sad that you feel the need to change the plate, world gone mad with being offended by everything.

Philh46

Dec 24, 2017
Sheffield
I would contact DVLA direct and ask them. They might be able to sort something out. I

If I got that plate where I live i suspect it would be keyed within days if not worse.

Last edited:

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
Rather than buy another plate why not just put the current one on retention which will automatically give you a replacement number for the car?

This will cost you £80 instead of £399+ and you can just let the retention of GK18 EDL expire.

Carlosram

Sep 29, 2017
Derby
One of those plates wont make any difference to the price of the car when you come to sell it. Your best bet would be to get something personal to you, maybe spend a few more £ and get something you can put on your next car.

Sad that you feel the need to change the plate, world gone mad with being offended by everything.

I can't really afford anything more at the moment as I'm looking at getting side skirts and spoiler fitted as soon as possible.

Maybe having an FR18 plate won't be worth much to anyone else but for what it costs it will be worth it to me.

I want the car to look as good as possible and having a far right political groups initials on my plate wasn't in my plans especially as it could lead to needless vandalism.

Carlosram

Sep 29, 2017
Derby
Rather than buy another plate why not just put the current one on retention which will automatically give you a replacement number for the car?

This will cost you £80 instead of £399+ and you can just let the retention of GK18 EDL expire.

Good advice. I've just had a look and it seems straight forward enough, knowing my look though I will get NF18 BNP as a replacement. :)

I am warming to the idea of paying the £399 for one of the plates I listed though, I have a few days to think it over.

Upthere

Jul 10, 2017
Good advice. I've just had a look and it seems straight forward enough, knowing my look though I will get NF18 BNP as a replacement. :)

I am warming to the idea of paying the £399 for one of the plates I listed though, I have a few days to think it over.
Bnp
If you're going to keep the car for a few years then yes one of the plates you listed will look good.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016

This is a very clever solution. Well thought through.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
What's offensive about that plate? Or have I missed something?
I love your "personal" plates in the UK. You don't seem to be allowed to create your own combination of numbers and letters as we are, you get told what you can choose.

Philh46

Dec 24, 2017
Sheffield
What's offensive about that plate? Or have I missed something?
I love your "personal" plates in the UK. You don't seem to be allowed to create your own combination of numbers and letters as we are, you get told what you can choose.

Google EDL. Or search YouTube for edl

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
I can't really afford anything more at the moment as I'm looking at getting side skirts and spoiler fitted as soon as possible.

Maybe having an FR18 plate won't be worth much to anyone else but for what it costs it will be worth it to me.

I want the car to look as good as possible and having a far right political groups initials on my plate wasn't in my plans especially as it could lead to needless vandalism.

See if Tommy Robinson wants it

ray

Jan 7, 2016
How long does it take for a plate on retention to “expire”?

From my experience of putting my plates on and taking them off prior to sale the exact plate that was on it before is returned to the car. The rules around it are that the plate may be used elsewhere but the logic of it is that it’s far easier to never use that plate again, or put it back to that car to save time in re allocating a new number etc.

Although this has never been on a brand new car and since new 18 plates will be registered it may be different...

Personally on your plate, get one that you want and will keep, as the money you spend won’t be recovered when it comes to sell.

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
How long does it take for a plate on retention to “expire”?
10 years, although you can apply for a refund of the £80 after 6 if you don't assign it to a car.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
10 years, although you can apply for a refund of the £80 after 6 if you don't assign it to a car.

So how can it only be £80? Once the plate is taken off what plate will he put back on whilst waiting 10 years..? Sorry if it sounds dumb just something I’ve never thought about before.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
or just sucker it up and get on with your life, I have seen plenty of EDL, BNP and left wing related plates.

Last edited:

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
So how can it only be £80? Once the plate is taken off what plate will he put back on whilst waiting 10 years..? Sorry if it sounds dumb just something I’ve never thought about before.
It costs £80 to either put a plate on retention or transfer it to another car.

The car is currently registered as GK18EDL. Carlosram puts that number on retention. The DVLA issues a replacement age-related plate to go on his car. Carlosram now "owns" GK18EDL for up to 10 years. If he does not put it on a car (ANY car registerd on or after 1 March 2018) within that 10 years he loses his entitlement to it.

It really isn't that difficult to understand...

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise