Oil Filter Housing

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
www.gardensandhouses.co.uk
I've just changed the oil on my 99 V5 which was going well until I hit the oil filter housing and put a small crack in it. So, at the moment I can't drive the car as oil will poor out at an alarming rate if the car is started. So I need a new filter housing (the black plastic part). Does anyone know a part number and how much they cost?

Cheers.

Deleted member 5241

Hiya, no idea about the bits but I'm interested to know how you got it apart. Was it a 32mm socket or do you have a special tool that fits over the casing? I've just bought a Passat V5 and I just looked underneath and gave up.

Cheers

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
Hey Buddy. Got a new part, but at the moment I can't get the old one off. I've got a 36mm socket bit turning up hopefully tomorrow. I'm hoping that will sort it. I've heard of people using OIl Filter Wrenches to do the job, but this isn't working for me and is causing more damage. Once I have it sorted, I'll let you know the best way to do it.

Deleted member 5241

Thanks for the quick response, I reckon its one of these from ECP:

http://tinyurl.com/25h5kn

I'm heading to The Trafford Centre tomorrow so will try and get one from Preston or Trafford Park ECP's.

Thanks again

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
That looks like the baby. Best to measure it before you buy though. Mine is a 36mm despite others saying it is a 32mm. Ordered one from some online tool shop for around £11 including delivery.

I'm planning to change the oil every 5000 miles and do the filter once every 10,000. I've just brought an oil extractor called a Pela 6000 for £37 off Ebay. Saves getting under the car and undoing everything. Might be worth a look for future reference.

Deleted member 5241

Cheers for the info, went to Halfrauds tonight and got one of each, total price was about £13.50. Looks like I'll mostly be grubbing around int he dirt tomorrow then.

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
Hi Mate. Got my 36mm today. It fits but I still couldn't budge the thing. As it was cracked anyway, I butchered it and managed to hammer it around. New one is back on and all seems to be ok. I think now that it is not over tightened, it should be easier next time around.

Good luck with yours.

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
be careful you have tightened it up enough though. rattles = loose/fall off on motorway at speed = engine munching if you're not careful!! did something similar to the fuel filter on my old saxo, was a bugger to get off first time so didn't do it up so tight oil warning light bulb had blown in the dash so was none the wiser when the oil poured out at 80ish on the motorway and my engine got raped! be careful!!

Deleted member 5241

Good point, 3 white knuckles is usually about right I reckon...

Did mine this morning, 45 minutes all done, no problems at all. 36mm for me as well but keeping the 32mm as you never know when I need one.

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
Think its all tight. I put the 36mm socket on and it wouldn't go any further without warpping the plastic and breaking it. Took it for a teat drive and all seemed fine. Took it out today and checked the oil level at both ends of my journey and all is as it should be.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.